News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a 69 charger this season.......

Started by Back N Black, August 27, 2010, 02:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

yea it was nice to see the headliner installed. getting ready to do mine also. wish they would have spent another minute of time on that install. especially around the rear window. good show though with the top install also.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

ccr-host

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 15, 2011, 05:59:28 PM
Just watched todays episode... Legendary did a nice job on the headliner.  Something Id like to do to mine soon.

A little concerned on the trunk divider statement that they made..... "it just hangs there on those 2 hooks & thats it."

What about the retaining clips that screw in to the top?

Also why would you take rusted/nasty old body plugs out of a donor car when they can be had new repro?

Yep 6T9, the divider just hangs on the two hooks. No fastners/retainers used.

We used the body plugs from the donor because our order from Year One had not arrived. The used ones cleaned up just fine though.

resq302

Quote from: ccr-host on January 15, 2011, 09:34:29 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 15, 2011, 05:59:28 PM
Just watched todays episode... Legendary did a nice job on the headliner.  Something Id like to do to mine soon.

A little concerned on the trunk divider statement that they made..... "it just hangs there on those 2 hooks & thats it."

What about the retaining clips that screw in to the top?

Also why would you take rusted/nasty old body plugs out of a donor car when they can be had new repro?

Yep 6T9, the divider just hangs on the two hooks. No fastners/retainers used.

We used the body plugs from the donor because our order from Year One had not arrived. The used ones cleaned up just fine though.

For what its worth, my late production 69 trunk divider panel just hands on those two hangers also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

TUFCAT

Hi Brian, I'll second your "for what its worth" :icon_smile_wink: The divider on my 1967 hangs on two hooks.

The rear window shelf panel (package tray) has two push in button type fasteners.

Charger-Bodie

I think Chris is thinking of the 2 screwed down fastener brackets that hold the speaker shelf. Ive never seen one that didnt just hang from there. Other than the ones that were torn and just didnt hang anymore.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

lexxman

So Dan,I saw this week show.I always thought that the car were painted all over. So the car where only paint on the outside not inside or underneath?

ccr-host

Quote from: lexxman on January 16, 2011, 09:28:43 PM
So Dan,I saw this week show.I always thought that the car were painted all over. So the car where only paint on the outside not inside or underneath?

Lexxman, the paint process was a real adventure for us. We had a very talented collision shop lined up to do the body and paint when the car came back from Georgia. We left it there and flew back east to film at Ray Barton's in PA and Legendary Upholstery in upstate New York. Then I took a week off for some much needed R&R. All that time we were thinking the car was being prepared for paint when I returned. Josh at Hot Rod's was trying to reach me (good luck when I'm at a cottage on the Rideau) to let me know the shop we assigned the car to got slammed with repairs while we were gone and they hadn't been able to get to the Charger. That meant a three week loss of progress on a project already pressed for time.  :no:

Jimenez Brothers Customs in Riverside agreed to take over the project and turn it around as fast as possible to get us back on schedule. That meant they didn't have the time to do the homework they would usually do. Not being too familiar with Mopar's they asked about the paint technique and we told them what we could best remember - trunk, firewall inner fenders, radiator support all get the same paint as the exterior. Underside gets gray primer with overspray from the exterior. Interior gets a tan color. Well, turns out we should have been more specific about the gray. The standard HoK primer is a very light gray and was wrong for the car. But, to their credit, the collision shop stepped up and reshot the underside with the correct primer color while it was on the lift at Hot Rods. The problem with all this was there would be no overspray on the primer... So, ours is not 100 percent accurate. But, it still looks damn nice IMO.  :drool5:

Richard Cranium

I noticed that too. Obviously, the interior will all be hidden, but the trunk is not. Also,I was surprised to see the finish color stopping on the quarter below the sail panel joint. Yes, I understand that the roof is covered with a vinyl roof, but wouldn't it have been better to spray some color on if only to seal the primer? Also, what's up with having to "massage" the roof-quarter joints after the car was painted? That seems like a major goof-up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be critical; rather it's just something that I observed.
I am Dr. Remulac

The70RT

Inside pass. compartment gets body color as well....tan primer?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ccr-host

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 17, 2011, 11:09:17 AM

I noticed that too. Obviously, the interior will all be hidden, but the trunk is not. Also,I was surprised to see the finish color stopping on the quarter below the sail panel joint. Yes, I understand that the roof is covered with a vinyl roof, but wouldn't it have been better to spray some color on if only to seal the primer? Also, what's up with having to "massage" the roof-quarter joints after the car was painted? That seems like a major goof-up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be critical; rather it's just something that I observed.

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 17, 2011, 11:09:17 AM

As I noted, the paint technique is not 100 percent historically accurate. Losing three weeks of body time had a domino effect on the build schedule and some decisions were made with haste.

The roof required a little work right from the start. The join at the A and B pillars were very visible and most people felt the vinyl roof would hide the flaw. But, that was not the case. So, the collision shop sent their bodyman to smooth the dip that was there.

The tan color is paint – not primer.

Gotta 68

CCR car was in this month's issue of MCG.

The70RT

The tan color is paint – not primer.

[/quote]

Inside gets the same color as outside.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Magnumcharger

I just did my Saturday morning ritual of watching the XP Hemi build, this time with two back-to-back episodes.
I'm sure there was a lot more video footage shot during the build that got expunged in editing.

Funny thing - I watch the show to see the Charger build, and do my coffee/breakfast/email/bathroom breaks during the Corvette clips! (Sorry Dan!)

Which brings me to my thought: Is this XP Hemi Charger build going to find it's way to DVD? And if so, can we have a version of it that centers on the Charger build, excising the Corvette portion?
And...can we have more Charger footage, you know, the un-aired video left-overs?

It's not a bad reference tool for us neophyte Charger restorers.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

lexxman

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 22, 2011, 08:46:50 AM
I just did my Saturday morning ritual of watching the XP Hemi build, this time with two back-to-back episodes.
I'm sure there was a lot more video footage shot during the build that got expunged in editing.

Funny thing - I watch the show to see the Charger build, and do my coffee/breakfast/email/bathroom breaks during the Corvette clips! (Sorry Dan!)

Which brings me to my thought: Is this XP Hemi Charger build going to find it's way to DVD? And if so, can we have a version of it that centers on the Charger build, excising the Corvette portion?
And...can we have more Charger footage, you know, the un-aired video left-overs?

Ya it would be nice to have it on dvd with extras.I have to watch it on sunday,didn't get up in time.

ccr-host

Quote from: lexxman on January 22, 2011, 12:50:13 PM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 22, 2011, 08:46:50 AM

Ya it would be nice to have it on dvd with extras.I have to watch it on sunday,didn't get up in time.

I think you would all be better off to use anything I've hosted/built as "inspiration" rather than instruction! :laugh:

The Cuda build is available on DVD through our website. The Charger content is still not finished editing for SPEED. We can't release anything for one year. Speed controls all content for that period.

Magnumcharger

I think you would all be better off to use anything I've hosted/built as "inspration" rather than instruction! :laugh:

The Cuda build is available on DVD through our website. The Charger content is still not finished editing for SPEED. We can't release aything for one year. Speed controls all content for that period.

Dan, I'm pretty certain it would be used more for "motivation" than instruction! :lol:
I'm willing to wait a year to get a DVD dedicated to the Charger's restoration. How many CCR episodes cover the Keisler XP Hemi Charger rebuild?

And I still think you should suggest to "the powers that be" about displaying the Charger at Moparfest in New Hamburg, Ontario. Which is around the 20th of August this year.

ccr-host

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 22, 2011, 03:33:06 PM
I think you would all be better off to use anything I've hosted/built as "inspration" rather than instruction! :laugh:

The Cuda build is available on DVD through our website. The Charger content is still not finished editing for SPEED. We can't release aything for one year. Speed controls all content for that period.

Dan, I'm pretty certain it would be used more for "motivation" than instruction! :lol:
I'm willing to wait a year to get a DVD dedicated to the Charger's restoration. How many CCR episodes cover the Keisler XP Hemi Charger rebuild?

And I still think you should suggest to "the powers that be" about displaying the Charger at Moparfest in New Hamburg, Ontario. Which is around the 20th of August this year.

It could also be used as a warning!

All 13 episodes have at least two Charger segments. But, some of it is integrated with the Vette in the final episodes, so it may be difficult to split it out as stand alone content. People would wonder where the Vette came from and why we want to race against it.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: ccr-host on January 22, 2011, 03:38:45 PM
People would wonder where the Vette came from and why we want to race against it.

Not us  :icon_smile_big:

We wonder why you waste half a TV show every week on a Vette  :lol:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on January 22, 2011, 04:00:23 PM
People would wonder where the Vette came from and why we want to race against it.

Ditto! :2thumbs:

Khyron

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 22, 2011, 04:10:43 PM

I vote all the above statements.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

thedodgeboys

:shruggy: I agree delete the vet segments add in the all the extra xp video.
Blue ray would be nice :cheers:

Quote from: Khyron on January 22, 2011, 04:49:41 PM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 22, 2011, 04:10:43 PM

I vote all the above statements.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

doctor4766

Whilst all that would be nice, I'm sure the added expense of more editing and extra commentary just for us Mopar guys would outweigh the profit margin of doing such a thing.
Don't see it happening myself.
Gotta love a '69

nvrbdn

using all the material from both models adds to their selling market.but that market is bigger when you add all the deleted footage to change the show.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House