News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is most affordable Hemi Block and most cubes I can get out a 426 block?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, September 04, 2010, 12:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

As of today after I decided that for my beloved 69 Plymouth Roadrunner, I want to build a 600 to 650 HP pump gas (10.5 to 10.8 compression) street Hemi, especially since the Hemi engine would be period correct for my car, and would probably be the best bang for my investment over the long haul (not to mention the WOW factor at the many cruise nights I go, and the overall HEMI mystique, etc, etc.

Few simple questions to get my brain going:

1-What would be the most affordable way to go with a used block to reach my goals a 426 used block (that is in good shape that I would probably want to bore .030?

2-What would be the most affordable way to go with a brand new block to reach my goals?

3-If i stick with a standard 426 block what is the most popular size stroker crank I can get to make RELIABLE horsepower on a car that will be driven on both the street and highway, and what is the BIGGEST size crank could I go with RELIABLY with a 426 block (bored .030) over and how many cubic inches would that give me?

I am looking to build a bullet proof, reliable, 600+HP pump gas street hemi, that will see 99.9% of it life on the streets and highways.

And yes, i realize that NOTHING is inexpensive with a HEMI engine vs a 440 wedge motor, etc., and that all the parts to put together same to reach my goals will be an expensive engine I am seriously thinking of building.

Thanks in advance and have a great holiday weekend.  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

1Bad70Charger

OK, been doing some research since posting this and how does this sound for a 600+HP pump gas street motor and to start getting the pieces I need t make a 472 ci Hemi Stroker.

-Hemi Iron Block (new)-Standard Bore 2.5

-Mopar Performance 4.15 crank (new)

-Diamond Pistions for 10.8 to 1 compression with Aluminum Mopar Performance (or Stage 5 Hemi  Heads) whatever will make more power and stay within my budget for fully assembled heads that are in the $3,000 range-(new)

-Nice big hydraulic cam .550 lift or so (new)

-Single Plane Hemi Manifold Intake running a 850 or 950 HP carb. (new)

Of course I know there are alot of other parts needed but this gets me going in the right direction.

1. What do you guys think for my goals referenced above with the 4.25 bore and 4.15 stroker crank for 472 cubes?

2. Do you agree that a the 472 hemi stroker, 10:8 to 1 compression running 93 octane pump gas, a nice aggressive spec'ed out Comp Hyd cam with .550 lift or so, Alum Mopar Performance (or Stage 5) Hemi heads, that I should easily be able to get over 600Horsepower with GOBS of torque?  

Thanks in Advance.  :cheers:

48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Troy

I think the best "bang for the buck" is to call For Hemis Only (FHO) in Canada. Great prices, all new parts, and a guarantee.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

suntech

QuoteI think the best "bang for the buck" is to call For Hemis Only (FHO) in Canada. Great prices, all new parts, and a guarantee.

Totally agree.............and do NOT buy used parts that appears to save you a buck, for later to find out that here is a crack or whatever! Simply give Tim a call  :2thumbs:

And go BIG.......easiest powergainer there is!  :D    4,5x4,5  is nice
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

firefighter3931

I agree, FHO is an excellent builder with a sterling reputation.  :cheers:

If i was building a Hemi, Tim would get the call.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: suntech on September 05, 2010, 01:37:38 AM
QuoteI think the best "bang for the buck" is to call For Hemis Only (FHO) in Canada. Great prices, all new parts, and a guarantee.

Totally agree.............and do NOT buy used parts that appears to save you a buck, for later to find out that here is a crack or whatever! Simply give Tim a call  :2thumbs:

And go BIG.......easiest powergainer there is!  :D    4,5x4,5  is nice

Thanks guys and I will definitely be calling Tim (of FHO) but it seems like I can save money buy getting all the engine components myself and having the machine work and long block put together by some excellent hi-perf Mopar machine shops here in the Chicago area (like Opel Engineering in Streamwood, IL) and yes, I am planning to use all BRAND new parts (as building a Hemi has become more affordable than before I have noticed and I agree with you about the fact that buying used parts leads to too many headaches and unacceptable risks down the line as I want it build once and right).  From past experience I also know it makes a lot more sense for the professional who builds and dyno tunes my engine to be local to me as its ALOT less headaches in dealing with that shop if there are any post-build/dyno issues.

Given For Hemis only reputation if they can build me a 528 Hemi Longblock for the best price vs. getting the parts individually as my budget allows, and then having a local Mopar machine/engine shop put my engine together and dyno tune it,  then I would not hesitate to use FHO for my complete build (although my preference is for the engine to be built local to be simply for geographic convenience if there are any issues).

The BIGGER I can go the better and I am know thinking a 528 cubic inch HEMI would be PERFECT at 4.5 bore x 4.15 stroke, and would EASILY reach my goals of  650 ponies/torque with some good Stage 5 Heads and largest streetable hydraulic cam that is compatible for my set-up and make great power from 2000 rpm up to 6500 rpm. If I am wrong about the 528 Hemi not being to much more expensive then I have no problem building this was a standard new iron 426 Hemi with standard 2.5 inch bore.

Million dollar question for me right now is what shop will offer the best pricing on the engine compenents I will need:

1. Indy, For Hemi's Only, Mopar Performance, Mancini, Muscle Motor, etc.

2. Also, what are your thoughts on 482 cubic inch hemi with a 4.25 (standard Hemi bore) and a 4.25 stroker crank (for a perfectly squared torque monster of a Hemi engine)?

Thanks in advance for your continued input gentleman.  :cheers:  

suntech

Pricewise there are no real difference in going with more cubes. A new siamese bore block, with the std bore at 4,5.  A good crank with 4,5 stroke doesnt cost any more than same crank with less stroke, so i would do that. That makes it a 572  :cheers:
I am going 4,522 bore, and 4,75 stroke.......611  :D I am European, so i am metric, and 10 liters was a nice even # !!  :D

Also i think Tims prices on parts are better than what you get buying stuff piece by piece all over, plus the benefit of getting parts that guaranteed actually fits and works together :Twocents:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: suntech on September 06, 2010, 09:55:00 AM
Pricewise there are no real difference in going with more cubes. A new siamese bore block, with the std bore at 4,5.  A good crank with 4,5 stroke doesnt cost any more than same crank with less stroke, so i would do that. That makes it a 572  :cheers:
I am going 4,522 bore, and 4,75 stroke.......611  :D I am European, so i am metric, and 10 liters was a nice even # !!  :D

Also i think Tims prices on parts are better than what you get buying stuff piece by piece all over, plus the benefit of getting parts that guaranteed actually fits and works together :Twocents:

Yeah, I did notice going with bigger cubes is not that much more expensive and probably will end up with eventually a 540 Pump Gas Hemi, but a 572 Hemi is REALLY Music to my Ears!  :drool5:

I certainly will be calling Tim at FHO and thanks for your feedback!  :cheers:

That being said I been around the hot rod hobby long enough to know that Horse power ALWAYS cost money, and the bigger you go will ALWAYS be more expensive, when it comes to needing MUCH better breathing Heads, etc., probably would run a solid cam then (much more expensive), etc., etc, to take advantage of the monster cubes. The hidden costs just keep going up, up and up, the more Horsepower your making and bigger the engine is.  :brickwall:

TylerCharger69

Hemi and Affordable???    In the same sentence????    :smilielol:    Just kidding...

Wicked72

hmmm 572 sounds nice... I about to be getting a new job and Im thinkin a 572 hemi would really look just so so perfect under the hood of my baby. :2thumbs:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

jeryst

Friend of mine has a 572 Hemi, with supercharger and nitrous to boot.

1Bad70Charger

I have a hot local lead on almost all the the brand new parts I need to make a 472 10:7 to 1 compression pump gas Hemi for $8,500 complete unassembled what do yo guys think about this price ($8,500) everything is band new and never used.

1. new 426 water jacket block 4.25 bore (built around 2000 never used)

2. MP 4.15 stroker crank

3. Diamond Pistons

4. H Beam Eagle Rods

5. Single Plane Mopar Performance Manifold Intake (I only want to run one carb on the street)

6. MP Alum Hemi Heads (bigger Valves)

7. Crane .567 hyd roller cam with lifters

8. Complete Mopar Performance Roller Rockers (all parts needed for expensive rocker arm assembly

9. New flat black Hemi MP Hemi Valve Covers

Me think that I almost should grab all this at this price as it should be the perfect set-up to make around 550HP on pump gas (93 octane)

For $8,000 I can also buy a complete 505 stroker engine (wedge) using the best parts that $ can buy with all documentation and dyno sheets making an incredible 655 HP and 634 ft lbs of torque, including headers that will fit my 69 Road Runner and a King Demon 859 Carb (all for 8,000) with MSD Distributor and all wires (no MSD Box).

Only about 300 miles on the engine no issues no the guy personally he is no nonsense and very ANAL, and yanked it out of his runner when he decided he had to have a Hemi. This 505 stroker 440 engine makes all this power with cnc ported Indy SR Heads and a real nice solid cam .622/.628 lift 254/260, 112 lsa, all at .050 valve operation This car is making GOBS of power throughout the entire rpm band and still pulling hard at 6400 rpm.  :coolgleamA:

What do you guys think this is a tuff decision I can make MORE power obviously with the 505 motor for less money but it won't be a Hemi!

Let me know what deal do you think is better price wise between these two set-ups, which way you would go and why, and thanks in advance!  :cheers:

What do you guys think?  :shruggy:

jeryst

If you really want a hemi, you're never gonna be happy unless you get a hemi. Simple truth.

On the other hand, if you just want power, go with the 440. Easier and cheaper to get parts for. Easier to work on.
Less tempermental. Less overheating issues.