News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

epoxy coating

Started by THE CHARGER PUNK, December 22, 2005, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

after you dip or strip a car and u put that balck epoxy coating so it wont rust can you keep it like that??? like say if i had my front end just e-coated could idrive it on the street and it would be ok with the weather?-MATT

Blown70

Quote from: F8 69 CHARGER PUNK on December 22, 2005, 04:39:39 PM
after you dip or strip a car and u put that balck epoxy coating so it wont rust can you keep it like that??? like say if i had my front end just e-coated could idrive it on the street and it would be ok with the weather?-MATT

I do not now that I would  I guess you could,  Are you speaking after having parts acid dipped for stripping.. Then wash then diped in e coat?

Tom

Troy

I believe you can. Remember that the cars left the factory with only primer underneath (unless undercoating was applied). This did rust over time - especially if it was chipped by rocks or something. However, if you dip the car in e-coat it is electrically bonded to the metal and should hold up pretty well. Unlike POR-15, the e-coat isn't light sensitive so I don't think it will fade (at least not as badly). You can also reproduce the look or the primer with regular paint and some flattening agent and it will give you an extra layer of protection.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

THE CHARGER PUNK

so if i got fenders and a hood painted gloss black and used a flattening agent i could get paint to look like this???-MATT

Troy

In theory, yes, but you can probably just buy the paint that color. Aren't those parts fiberglass? If so, there's no need to use epoxy or e-coat (actually the e-coat process is impossible on glass parts). Scroll down to the section for 1968:
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/dodge-dart/dodge-dart-history-2.shtml

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

mridolfo

If left in the sun for a long time the UV rays will  deteiorate the Ecoat.

Rolling_Thunder

your best bet would be to use primer/sealer....     this is sealant that protects against weather and can be dyed to any color really...    We did it at the shop i used to work at on a 1969 Camaro for Car Craft  --- i would not primer a car and drive it around as primer isnt a great barrier against weather
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Drop Top

If your looking for that look. Use PPG's DPLF/50. Its a good sealer primer that will hold for awile. But its still a primer and will not hold as well as real paint. If you want paint your going to have to play with black paint with a flating agent in it, to get teh results your looking for.