News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear window

Started by 68MoparCharger, December 22, 2005, 09:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68MoparCharger

how do you weather proof the rear window? are there parts I need to buy, i bought a rear window weatherstripping piece for a 68-69 b body, yet you guys say there is no weatherstripping, did I get ripped off, or buy something that won't work? Thanks
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire!" - Metallica

Troy

Assuming you have a 68 Charger then there is no weatherstripping on the rear window. It is sealed with caulking but I think there are several ways to package it. Do you have any pictures, a part number, or a brand name off of what you bought?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

isnt it held on with butyl tape?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Rolling_Thunder

just installed mine...   the glue/weatherstrip is like a big roll of strip caulk almost...   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mfr426

I was told recently from an older guy at a reputable glass shop that it was butyl tape as well. He said that they recently changed a law in PA that allows them to use the butyl tape if it was OEM. In the past they had to use urethane by law (according to him).

He will be pulling my recently installed rear window out and reinstalling it with the correct thickness butyl tape. This should fix my spear trim overlap issue once and for all.

fastback

Does anyone have photos of their rear window, with and without moldings.I would rreally like to see how well the moldings fit in the lower corners.
Thanks.

Rolling_Thunder

they arent exactly great fitting - if thats what your asking
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

fastback

Yes, that is pretty much what I am asking.But pictures tell a thousand stories, so if any one as some I would really apprecaite it.
Thanks

BlueSS454

There is no rear glass seal like the windshield has.  All rear glass was installed using butyl tape (readily available at Pep Boys/Autozone/etc).  If you are going to do it yourself, use butyl tape.  It goes on easy and there is no mess.  Simply roll it on to the glass and press it in.  Make sure you have the little spacers at the bottom of the glass to get the correct spacing.  If you are having it done somewhere, they will probably use urethane.  Urethane works great if you know how to apply it properly, if not, it makes a huge mess and gets all over everything you don't want it to.  Also, there is a special windshield adhesive primer, make sure you apply some of that in the glass channel for adhesion purposes.
Tom Rightler