News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Wiring Woes... :(

Started by Judhudson, December 23, 2005, 07:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judhudson

I seem to be having difficulty tracking a wiring problem with my 73... I did read a thread while doing a search similiar to this problem but it didn't seem to help...

Anyways, when I turn on my lights, first off, my drivers side park light isn't shining bright like it is on the other side.  When I go to turn on the turning signal for that same side, the fender indicator stays on while the green little light on my instrument panel stays on (that's when I turn the signal on and then turn it off).  At first, me and my dad thought it had something to do with the parklight not getting good ground, but when tested it and the parklight is good.  Apparently somewhere there must be a bad ground.  My question is....How in the world would I trace something like this?  I'm clueless..  ???

71_deputy

jud- is this a freshly painted car????  if so then the fender isn't really grounded good to the rest of the car!!!

you may have to take a bolt or two off the fender to innear fender and remove the paint between them to get a good ground.  use some dialetric grease where the paint is removed to prevent corrosion later

John  Mac
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

Judhudson

You're right, it's freshly painted, and I did just get thru washing and polishing it.  So what I am assuming is that the problem lies in the actual fender indicator not getting a good ground?  Before I go to taking off the fender bolt, I should probably check into the indicator - but do you think that is the problem?

Nacho-RT74

I had a similar problem and wasn't more that the socket itself on parking light what is some free and spins a little.

Try to spins a little the socket behind the parking light untill gets some presurre and you will notice that fender light will flash again, same as of course the parking light itself.
When I had thsi fail, both sides of parking lights didn't flash at the same time when I tunred on the hazzards and parking light function did dim.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Judhudson

Thanks for your help guys!  My dad busted out some electrical tools and we did some testing.  Turns out it was the park light.  I think he said something about the socket being messed up, but we got it fixed and it works great! :D

71_deputy

1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van