News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

please tell me the best add ons to your 440

Started by IBsmokin, August 01, 2005, 03:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IBsmokin

I am preparing to rebuild a 440, I would like to know what should I buy for it to give it the most horse power for street use, nothing too expensive, I would like to keep the rebuild cost at the minimum, I am rebuilding the engine myself.
any info or combo use would be greatly appreciated.

BrianShaughnessy

Ron might agree with me and Chryco will probably disagree but instead of wasting any $ on old heads,  a set of Edelbrocks in comparison with a pro rebuild and porting is a pretty good $ spent. 

It's not free but nothing is. 

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Runner

Quote from: IBsmokin on August 01, 2005, 03:13:28 PM
I am preparing to rebuild a 440, I would like to know what should I buy for it to give it the most horse power for street use,

quality machine work.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Brian and Runner are both correct, inmo. Throwing big money into stock heads seems frivilous these days and good machine work makes or breaks an engine's performance. The most significant gains on a mild build will be achieved with good intake/carb selection, headers and the matching cam. If stock heads are going to be used a bowl porting with the MP templates and 3 angle valve job does wonders. Everything needs to be properly matched up for the best results. Runner's car is an excellent example of a well sorted out combo.   :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Silver R/T

street dominator intake works best on 440 in most cases
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

cam will make the Biggest single difference , good heads , intake , Carb & exhaust  follow

greenrt_se

IBsmokin

what heads are those?  i think i am going to toss the factory heads to the side and buy after market heads.

Chryco Psycho

personally I perfer the Bulldog or Indy EZ head with a better swirl chamber to the Eddy heads above

IBsmokin

can you explain why you like those head better?

Silver R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 02, 2005, 11:53:54 PM
personally I perfer the Bulldog or Indy EZ head with a better swirl chamber to the Eddy heads above

Ive seen bulldog aka mopar performance heads with 78cc but do they have something like 88cc?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

basically you get what you pay for , the more expensive heads have better chambers, offer more potential to make power & pay more atention to valve position relative top both the piston & rockers 

gsmopar

+1 on the EB heads.  Yes there are better heads out there, but how fast do you want to go?  There is a sub 9 second challenger out here in arizona on a set of ported EB heads.  As far as BANG for the BUCK and ease of installation, I don't think there is anything out there that can touch the EB's.

CFMopar

Has anyone bolted indy ez heads on a b body yet? They say they are for a bodies.... What difference can it make?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

firefighter3931

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on August 05, 2005, 03:49:48 PM
Has anyone bolted indy ez heads on a b body yet? They say they are for a bodies.... What difference can it make?

The ez's have a standard exhaust port location...meaning they will fit better in an a-body chassi than their raised port SR's and 440-1's. The ez's will also fit fine in a b-body and any header that would bolt up to a stock head would bolt up to these. The ez's were designed for guys who had expensive exhaust systems already in place and didn't want to swap them out to accomodate a raised ex port head.

Ron

Ps. I agree with gsmopar...edelbrocks are hard to beat for the money. The ez is a better head with more upside but you have to pay for it.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

CFMopar

Standard rocker position and what not for the ez head? How much lift can the springs in the edlebrock and indy ez head handle?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

firefighter3931

Quote from: Thread_Marshal on August 06, 2005, 01:47:06 AM
Standard rocker position and what not for the ez head? How much lift can the springs in the edlebrock and indy ez head handle?

Both have standard rocker arm and pushrod locations. If your asking about your current cam...both would be fine with the Comp 501 and 1.6 rocker arms. The springs are designed for a max .600 lift but that doesn't mean any .600 lift cam will work. More agressive grinds require increased pressures to keep the valvetrain stable at higher lifts. While the comp grinds have faster lobes than say a stock cam....they're not so agressive as to require a valvespring change with the "stock" springs either of these heads will come with.

Ron