News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Issues installing Parking Brake Cables

Started by 70charger2006, September 19, 2010, 10:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70charger2006

First off, I would like to say hello to all. I am new to the site and have kind of an interesting issue.

I am working on a 70 charger and attempting to install a new parking brake cable kit I just got from inline tube. I am running an 8 3/4 rear end with 11" rear drum brakes. After installing the new rear cables, I noticed where the two cables mount on the body bracket, the passenger side cable extends about 1" farther than the driver side.  When the front cable and equalizer bar are hooked up and the E Brake is applied, only the shorter side driver side cable engages. Only minimal pressure is applied to the passenger side due to that cable being an extra inch long. I have already measured and compared the new cables to the old cables and they are both of equal lenght.

So I am trying to figure out if I am missing something or what. Any help on this matter would rock. Thanks again.

Greg

Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Shakey

Welcome to the site!

I put new parking brake cables on my '69 from Inline Tube, but it was a long time ago.  I am sure I posted my experience here - somewhere!

If I did, I am sure I posted photos.

Using the advanced search feature, you may be able to find the thread I am referring to.

70charger2006

Quote from: Shakey on September 20, 2010, 07:04:57 AM

Welcome to the site!

I put new parking brake cables on my '69 from Inline Tube, but it was a long time ago.  I am sure I posted my experience here - somewhere!

If I did, I am sure I posted photos.

Using the advanced search feature, you may be able to find the thread I am referring to.

I checked it out and found one from 2006. Unfortunately it does not reference if you had any issues where the braket is on the frame rail. The only thing I saw was about the clamp that bolts onto the body above the axle housing.

So the hunt for this mystery is still underway. I notified tech support for inline tube last week and still have not been given an reply on what they think. Sometimes I wish that just one thing on this restoration would go just perfect......
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Just 6T9 CHGR

First off welcome to the site.  You are not missing anything....the only thing missing is quality control from InLine.   I bought the same cables last year & went through the same problem.  Since my E brake doesnt get used much I just chalked it up to inferior repro parts.
If they do ever get back to you please post their answer....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Its actually pretty common even on original cables. That is why they use the parts they do to even out the pull between the two . You should be fine.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

histoy

As 1HotDaytona said, you should be fine.  Because of the design, the cables don't need to be exactly the same length.  After either one of the brake assemblies tightens, the ball end of that emergency brake cable will become the pivot point of the equalizer.  Then the other one will tighten.  The springs on the cable inside the brake drum will loosen each one, when the brake pedal is released.

Domino

wonder if a brake shop could crimp you a new ball on the cable.  cut the cable at the ball with a cut off wheel, slide on a new steel ball and crush it with hydraulic jaws. 
Near the coast, an offshore fishing shop might be able to fix it up.  Shark rigs are crimped onto steel braid and hold 1000s of lbs. 

If I were to fix it, I'd drill through a new steel ball with the diameter of the cable, then drill it halfway through with the larger diameter of a small barrel cable crimp.  Slide the ball on the cable small side first, add the crimp at the end then slide the ball back against the crimp so it nests inside the cavity you drilled.

Back N Black

My cables are the same, no issues with the P-brake.

70charger2006

So I should be good huh? In that case, looks like I have something to get done on the car then. Still need to adjust the rear drums again and then install and adjust the Parking Brake.

Thanks alot guys.
Greg

1970 Dodge Charger 500
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

tan top

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on September 21, 2010, 07:53:03 AM
Its actually pretty common even on original cables. That is why they use the parts they do to even out the pull between the two . You should be fine.

Quote from: histoy on September 21, 2010, 08:08:05 AM
As 1HotDaytona said, you should be fine.  Because of the design, the cables don't need to be exactly the same length.  After either one of the brake assemblies tightens, the ball end of that emergency brake cable will become the pivot point of the equalizer.  Then the other one will tighten.  The springs on the cable inside the brake drum will loosen each one, when the brake pedal is released.

yep :yesnod:  my original cables were the same also
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html