News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TruckDriver

I'd like to see Mark over at Graveyard Cars to re-do this one  :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Nwcharger

Quote from: TruckDriver on December 25, 2012, 04:02:56 PM

me too, im only 2 hours away from his shop. i planned on contacting him as soon as i get the car here and hopefully have him look at it and see if he's up to the challenge of bringing this one back from the dead. that would be really cool..
1969 coronet wagon

moparstuart

Quote from: Nwcharger on December 25, 2012, 04:12:43 PM

me too, im only 2 hours away from his shop. i planned on contacting him as soon as i get the car here and hopefully have him look at it and see if he's up to the challenge of bringing this one back from the dead. that would be really cool..
I contacted Mark on facebook , he is now aware of the car and that you are close to him
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ACUDANUT

You know that show (graveyard carz) They only show about 5 percent of work being done.  I wish they would air: new quarters being welded on, the frame being worked on ect.  They don't show much at all.  I have seen all 6 episodes on youtube.  All talk and drama.  :brickwall:

This show sucks.

ACUDANUT

BTW, Mark needs a nose job. He lloks like a twocan parrot. :rofl:

JB400

That's why I quit watching most car shows on tv.  If you want to watch something good, watch them on Saturday morning.  You'll have to pick between them and cartoons :icon_smile_big:  Lately, it's been cartoons

Nwcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on December 29, 2012, 10:26:38 PM
Quote from: Nwcharger on December 25, 2012, 04:12:43 PM

I contacted Mark on facebook , he is now aware of the car and that you are close to him

Sweet  :2thumbs: I was watching tv yesterday and seen a commercial for season 2 of graveyard cars. Makes me want to restore mopars as well. I joke with my wife all the time and tell her that if tired of turning wrenches and when I get a job with mark we are moving to Springfield. She gets mad because she finally talked her parents into moving to Portland but to me that's another reason to move  :icon_smile_big:
1969 coronet wagon

Ghoste

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on December 30, 2012, 11:37:22 AM
That's why I quit watching most car shows on tv.  If you want to watch something good, watch them on Saturday morning.  You'll have to pick between them and cartoons :icon_smile_big:  Lately, it's been cartoons

Ain't that the truth.   I watched one of the car resto drama shows this afternoon and I wanted to scream.  I was there when it was filmed and knew it was carefully scripted and for all intents and purposes fictional but the edited version comes out in such a different fashion.  Reality shows. ::) ::) ::) ::)

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 30, 2012, 11:34:46 AM
You know that show (graveyard carz) They only show about 5 percent of work being done.  I wish they would air: new quarters being welded on, the frame being worked on ect.  They don't show much at all.  I have seen all 6 episodes on youtube.  All talk and drama.  :brickwall:

This show sucks.

moparstuart

Mark sent me a message today and said he met you today and talked about your remnants of a daytona

Nwcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on January 17, 2013, 09:50:25 PM
Mark sent me a message today and said he met you today and talked about your remnants of a daytona

Yea I went down to graveyard cars with another member on the forum (c-stripes) that recently moved here to Portland. He was going down there to look at the purple sunroof challenger and ask me if I wanted to tag along. It was really cool to see the shop and all the cool mopars. We talked about my Daytona and when I get it shipped here I'm going to take it down to mark so he can see it and hopefully take on the challenge of bringing this car back from the dead. It was an awesome day.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
1969 coronet wagon

moparstuart

Quote from: Nwcharger on January 18, 2013, 12:56:21 AM

Yea I went down to graveyard cars with another member on the forum (c-stripes) that recently moved here to Portland. He was going down there to look at the purple sunroof challenger and ask me if I wanted to tag along. It was really cool to see the shop and all the cool mopars. We talked about my Daytona and when I get it shipped here I'm going to take it down to mark so he can see it and hopefully take on the challenge of bringing this car back from the dead. It was an awesome day.  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs:
awesome glad you guys made a connection , ive been putting little hints in marks head so I hope it helps and decides to take it on

ACUDANUT

Tell Buzzard Beak to:  FIX IT.

djcarguy

I was planning ta go by marks shop yesterday,sure wish i had heard you guys were headed down,as iam 20 some blocks away???

did see the 1st an 2nd show of new season yesterday,lots bettter than 1st season.   next time john call me if down this way,thanks. woood of been good ta met ya guys there.did ya show mark any pics?? well great shop and mopars there at marks shop. i was there last fall when dane and tom were there saw the 2 daytonas and been back few times this year.  lattter DJ :slap: :smilielol: :smilielol: :2thumbs:

Nwcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on January 18, 2013, 07:42:14 AM
Quote from: Nwcharger on January 18, 2013, 12:56:21 AM

awesome glad you guys made a connection , ive been putting little hints in marks head so I hope it helps and decides to take it on
thanks  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: he did say someone has recently told him about the car. i really hope he takes it on as well. it would be cool to have it on his show too..
1969 coronet wagon

C_stripes

Hey DJ. Next time I go down, I will let you know. Marks shop is pretty cool and it was fun to see all of the cool mopars down there. Some of those cars definitely need some help, a praticular white super bird comes to mind. :) Mark and everyone we met were good people. I am glad that I have the opportunity to help out a little on one of their projects.

Was also fun going down with another member from the bored, who happens to live less than half a mile from me. What luck, eh?
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

moparstuart

Quote from: C_stripes on January 20, 2013, 01:33:25 AM
Hey DJ. Next time I go down, I will let you know. Marks shop is pretty cool and it was fun to see all of the cool mopars down there. Some of those cars definitely need some help, a praticular white super bird comes to mind. :) Mark and everyone we met were good people. I am glad that I have the opportunity to help out a little on one of their projects.

Was also fun going down with another member from the bored, who happens to live less than half a mile from me. What luck, eh?
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

mopar_man

Well if the boys take on the Newfie Daytona , the sponsors should be aware that it will be one of the highest rating shows of all the automobile world. Knowing so much about this Daytona and having some "stuff" for over 20 yrs , I think I could watch the show a couple of times .
Best of luck and hope they decide in your favor.

djcarguy

COme  down to marks shop on a friday in the summer. we have Brooks auto parts every friday with 50 or so cars and Fins diner a car hang out till late.diner is few blocks from me an 15+ rigs at my house. 6 mopars ,2 are vans and some of everything else.

saw 3rd show of season 2,was maybe best yet .  sure looking forward too rest of new season. :2thumbs: :cheers:

looking for a good year and car fun,kid support over and have to get my 67 belve ragtop out this year.lattter DJ

wingcarenvy

First off, I would like to share my story. I once bought a car that had a VIN swap done to it in the 70s. It was a mess and to make a long story short the car ended up in a dumpster after I ran the numbers to make sure that it wasn't stolen. Now the tags are mounted to a nice piece of oak and hanging in my office to serve as a reminder to do my due diligence before purchasing a rare car. I truly despise it when people perform VIN swaps, whats the point other than money? The Hemi Cuda convert shown earlier in this thread just sold at BJ auction for 1.2 million before commission. I bet the fellow who bought it had no idea it was a near rebody. I saw that car in person in Vegas and from a glance it looked real and legit. Is it worth top dollar? Probably not, but the car was rebuilt from remnants of that car. Unfortunately the details of the resto are lost in auction hype and the buyer suffers because he probably didn't do his due diligence. Is the car a rebody? No, not in my opinion. It is a total basket case rebuild which is bound to happen when the cars are so rare and valuable. Ok now its time for me to get off my soap box.

The Daytona in this thread falls under that same basket case rebuild. Is it worth the same as a nice low mileage all original panel car? No but it is being rebuilt from the remnants of a real Daytona with full disclosure. Which is A-ok in my book. There are a few cars that come to mind, barrell cuda anyone? I truly enjoy this hobby for the nostalga and the love of the cars, which it sounds like this Daytona is being rebuilt for the love of the car not profit. The downside is that somewhere down the line the details will get lost and some slime ball will try to pass it off as a low mileage original car. The savvy buyer wont buy that load because he will know what to look for. But some richy rich will bid it up on some auction on TV because he has more dollars than sense.

I guess my point is that some people on the internet will judge you and tell you that you can't do this without a complete rebody. I haven't seen the car in person but I believe that it can be rebuilt in the spirit of the original car. Since you have been very forthcoming with info I also believe that you are going to document the rebuild in detail. I say go for it and enjoy the process and show the nay sayers that you can do it.

moparstuart

Quote from: wingcarenvy on January 29, 2013, 02:43:09 PM
First off, I would like to share my story. I once bought a car that had a VIN swap done to it in the 70s. It was a mess and to make a long story short the car ended up in a dumpster after I ran the numbers to make sure that it wasn't stolen. Now the tags are mounted to a nice piece of oak and hanging in my office to serve as a reminder to do my due diligence before purchasing a rare car. I truly despise it when people perform VIN swaps, whats the point other than money? The Hemi Cuda convert shown earlier in this thread just sold at BJ auction for 1.2 million before commission. I bet the fellow who bought it had no idea it was a near rebody. I saw that car in person in Vegas and from a glance it looked real and legit. Is it worth top dollar? Probably not, but the car was rebuilt from remnants of that car. Unfortunately the details of the resto are lost in auction hype and the buyer suffers because he probably didn't do his due diligence. Is the car a rebody? No, not in my opinion. It is a total basket case rebuild which is bound to happen when the cars are so rare and valuable. Ok now its time for me to get off my soap box.

The Daytona in this thread falls under that same basket case rebuild. Is it worth the same as a nice low mileage all original panel car? No but it is being rebuilt from the remnants of a real Daytona with full disclosure. Which is A-ok in my book. There are a few cars that come to mind, barrell cuda anyone? I truly enjoy this hobby for the nostalga and the love of the cars, which it sounds like this Daytona is being rebuilt for the love of the car not profit. The downside is that somewhere down the line the details will get lost and some slime ball will try to pass it off as a low mileage original car. The savvy buyer wont buy that load because he will know what to look for. But some richy rich will bid it up on some auction on TV because he has more dollars than sense.

I guess my point is that some people on the internet will judge you and tell you that you can't do this without a complete rebody. I haven't seen the car in person but I believe that it can be rebuilt in the spirit of the original car. Since you have been very forthcoming with info I also believe that you are going to document the rebuild in detail. I say go for it and enjoy the process and show the nay sayers that you can do it.
well said chris   :cheers:

djcarguy

been afew weeks,  looking forward too new info an plans.    keep us dreamers ,high, :cheers: with another daytona fix???? :D :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :drool5:  latter  DJ   :cheers:

johnnyseville

Even David Copperfield could not do anything with this car, guess another re-body is in the making, soon to be seen on eBay with the Canadian one. 
too many to list!

Nwcharger

Quote from: johnnyseville on February 14, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
Even David Copperfield could not do anything with this car, guess another re-body is in the making, soon to be seen on eBay with the Canadian one. 

I didn't know I had plans of selling it on eBay.  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:  the guy selling that rebodied 500 as a Daytona is a crooked douche bag and I don't have respect for people like that. I have 2 other chargers and one of them is already a Daytona clone. If I wanted to do a rebody I would just put the tags on my clone and claim it was restored.
1969 coronet wagon

johnnyseville

Quote from: Nwcharger on February 15, 2013, 01:44:19 AM
Quote from: johnnyseville on February 14, 2013, 09:16:12 PM

I didn't know I had plans of selling it on eBay.  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:  the guy selling that rebodied 500 as a Daytona is a crooked douche bag and I don't have respect for people like that. I have 2 other chargers and one of them is already a Daytona clone. If I wanted to do a rebody I would just put the tags on my clone and claim it was restored.

Its a real shame a car such as this was allowed to disintegrate in this manner, but it happened. Then I would respectfully ask, what are your intentions?  Do you really believe this can be resurrected?  That would even outdo the resurrection of Lazarus by Jesus.  The condition of this "car", makes others termed "basket cases" look like concours restorations. It just cannot be done, by anyone. Let's be practical, no disrespect intended. If you want to put in twice as much money as a finished Daytona would cost, that is up to you, more power to you.  Tell me what I am missing.
too many to list!