News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

It used to be a 69 daytona

Started by nascarxx29, September 25, 2010, 07:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote: "If I wanted to do a rebody I would just put the tags on my clone and claim it was restored."

That still would not work, because it still would not be a XX car.  :scratchchin:

Nwcharger

Quote from: johnnyseville on February 15, 2013, 08:45:38 AM
Quote from: Nwcharger on February 15, 2013, 01:44:19 AM
Quote from: johnnyseville on February 14, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
Even David Copperfield could not do anything with this car, guess another re-body is in the making, soon to be seen on eBay with the Canadian one. 

I didn't know I had plans of selling it on eBay.  :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:  the guy selling that rebodied 500 as a Daytona is a crooked douche bag and I don't have respect for people like that. I have 2 other chargers and one of them is already a Daytona clone. If I wanted to do a rebody I would just put the tags on my clone and claim it was restored.

Its a real shame a car such as this was allowed to disintegrate in this manner, but it happened. Then I would respectfully ask, what are your intentions?  Do you really believe this can be resurrected?  That would even outdo the resurrection of Lazarus by Jesus.  The condition of this "car", makes others termed "basket cases" look like concours restorations. It just cannot be done, by anyone. Let's be practical, no disrespect intended. If you want to put in twice as much money as a finished Daytona would cost, that is up to you, more power to you.  Tell me what I am missing.

I plan on taking the car to mark at graveyard carz when it shows up this spring. I don't plan on hiding anything about the history and or restoration of the car. If mark tells me there's absolutely no way to bring it back from the dead then the tags will more than likely go on the wall in a frame. To me putting the tags on another car is not the right thing to do.
1969 coronet wagon

rainbow4jd

I know this is kind of weird - but what makes a car a rebody versus a repair?

Ford Motor Co sells a pickup cab, a complete frame, a new pickup bed, and fenders for its F-150 pickups.   While practically speaking, a fellow would have the insurance company "total" the wreck and go get a new one, you could chose to repair the dang thing.  is that a rebody?

Is it the idea that there aren't any parts being made for it?

BTW Ford even makes complee 66-67 Mustang shells, so you restore (rebody) your old Mustang.

I know this is a sensitive issue, and maybe because I focus on the legal aspects of things... but until a title is branded (as a salvaged vehicle) the car is really just a piece of paper.  You can replace every part and it still be considered that SAME piece of paper.

Anyway, is there a definition of what restored, rebodied, etc. etc. really is - or is it just a general opinion that "at some point, there ain't nothing left of the old car"?

PS I had a 69 Hemi GTX that got new quarters, new fenders, new floorpans, new trunk floor - there was so much new metal on that car that I bet the old stuff was less than 20%.  Was that a rebody or a restoration?    If I had gotten all those pieces from a SINGLE donor car, vs buying them all independently, would htat have made it a rebody?

WINGIN IT

"I know this is kind of weird - but what makes a car a rebody versus a repair?"

...consider that can of worms open...  :D

mopar_man

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 16, 2013, 09:36:53 AM

To sum it up  .................money and who's doing it .

WINGIN IT

Quote from: mopar_man on February 16, 2013, 11:00:01 AM

The way I interpret that :   

Those with intregity ( the guys who have and are willing to put the money into the project to do it honestly)
And those who don't ( the guys who would just rebody the car and call it original )

:Twocents:

johnnyseville

Means absolutely nothing, you will have to expand on your response.
too many to list!

johnnyseville

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 16, 2013, 01:49:43 PM

...consider that can of worms open...  :D

To sum it up  .................money and who's doing it .

The way I interpret that :  

Those with intregity ( the guys who have and are willing to put the money into the project to do it honestly)
And those who don't ( the guys who would just rebody the car and call it original )

:Twocents:

So a guy with integrity and money, who buys a Charger with the back half rotted out (common), who picks up a bunch of AMD panels and replaces his whole back half,  it all is OK in your book, right?

Then your second statement of rebody would only pertains to someone who transfers numbers from the rotted car to one needing way less work, right?

Just want to get a clarification.  As long as no numbers have changed from one car to another, even though practically all the panels are junk, like if some idiot decided to run his Hemi car in the demolition derby, the next buyer could replace all the panels and whatever needs work, and it will be legit.
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

yes second one is meant for those less honest and transfer numbers from rotten body to good body without disclosure.

thehemikid

Hemi Runner

Quote from: johnnyseville on February 16, 2013, 02:51:38 PM

So a guy with integrity and money, who buys a Charger with the back half rotted out (common), who picks up a bunch of AMD panels and replaces his whole back half,  it all is OK in your book, right?

Then your second statement of rebody would only pertains to someone who transfers numbers from the rotted car to one needing way less work, right?

Just want to get a clarification.  As long as no numbers have changed from one car to another, even though practically all the panels are junk, like if some idiot decided to run his Hemi car in the demolition derby, the next buyer could replace all the panels and whatever needs work, and it will be legit.
I think it all revolves around intent and disclosure. Either scenario would be fine as long as the intent was not to deceive and full disclosure was done. The problem with these cars is that they might be sold with full disclosure to someone who intends to flip it with no disclosure. Then it's a real issue. In this day and age there are more of these scumbags than honest people. Luckily the internet has made research on some of these vehicles an easier task and more within the hobby are aware of them. If I had that car, I would most likely do the same as the current owner is doing. When I displayed it, the full story would be displayed with it. If I sold it, the prospective buyer would be told everything up front. In between, I'd enjoy it thoroughly.

held1823

my personal opinion isn't worth two cents, but here it is.

intent and disclosure are both virtues, but not every collectible car was meant to survive.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

johnnyseville

Quote from: held1823 on February 17, 2013, 12:57:42 PM
my personal opinion isn't worth two cents, but here it is.

intent and disclosure are both virtues, but not every collectible car was meant to survive.

Well, yes and no.  The old saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", pertains to cars also.  What one guy feels is the car of his dreams, another may say it should have been crushed years ago.  So it depends, to each his own. 
too many to list!

johnnyseville

Quote from: Hemi Runner on February 17, 2013, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: johnnyseville on February 16, 2013, 02:51:38 PM

I think it all revolves around intent and disclosure. Either scenario would be fine as long as the intent was not to deceive and full disclosure was done. The problem with these cars is that they might be sold with full disclosure to someone who intends to flip it with no disclosure. Then it's a real issue. In this day and age there are more of these scumbags than honest people. Luckily the internet has made research on some of these vehicles an easier task and more within the hobby are aware of them. If I had that car, I would most likely do the same as the current owner is doing. When I displayed it, the full story would be displayed with it. If I sold it, the prospective buyer would be told everything up front. In between, I'd enjoy it thoroughly.

I agree with half of this, if the numbers were swapped, then definitely that should be disclosed, may not make much difference to certain buyers, but at least they know.  As far as body panels, who in their right mind is going to believe a 40+ year car has all their original panels.  Those that do, are definitely in the minority.  And as it has been said on the forum before, the quality of AMD panels is very good now, maybe better than the originals were, certainly better than a lot bondo covering up the bad original panels, so I do not feel one should be obliged to mention it unless asked.   :Twocents:
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

"As far as body panels, who in their right mind is going to believe a 40+ year car has all their original panels. "

I take offense to that remark... :rotz:

Cooter

Answer is simple....Very simple....If you swap the numbers and NEVER attempt to try and sell it, then it's "ok"...It's only when you go to sell it for the 6 figures you have in it is when people get riled up.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 17, 2013, 09:01:25 PM
"As far as body panels, who in their right mind is going to believe a 40+ year car has all their original panels. "

Me too.Except I read the next sentence as "those that have original panels are in the minority". I suppose it could have also been "those that believe it are in the minority". I stopped buying stuff that requires me to assemble a large part of the car.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

johnnyseville

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 17, 2013, 09:01:25 PM

Boy are you touchy!  Seems like you took it the wrong way.  I am just saying I would not even mention body panels ie, quarter, trunk etc were ever replaced, it is just a given.  Except for Troy's car, but who else keeps their car in a Giant Hefty Freezer Bag! :icon_smile_cool:
BTW.. my Hemi does have all original panels, though there may be a patch panels made from original Mopar sheetmetal here and there with a skimming of bondo, but the complete trunk was replaced.

Take a Valium and calm down.  :cheers:
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

"Take a Valium and calm down.  "

With an avatar like that Johnny, I think YOU'RE the one who needs the valium  :lol:
Must be all that city livin... :yesnod: ;)

johnnyseville

I do, for my back, best muscle relaxant on the market.   Helps to cope with city living too as a extra benefit.   Maybe if I live to retire, will move to the hills, make moonshine, then all I have to worry about is the revenuers.  :yesnod:
too many to list!

WINGIN IT

Well you half-way there to bein' a  moonshiner - ya got some good fast cars....  :icon_smile_big:

duanesterrr

I hope to see this car saved.  It will be a great story and may even have a TV show about the restoration.  I am sure the Mopar magazines will be in on the action as well.  50 years from now when it goes for sale the buyer will have all the documentation needed to make his/her purchase.  Nothing will be hidden and the car will not be misrepresented.  That is all that can be asked.

You are taking on a challenge most would shy away from.  I tip my hat to that type of dedication.

moparstuart

Quote from: duanesterrr on February 19, 2013, 09:58:47 AM
I hope to see this car saved.  It will be a great story and may even have a TV show about the restoration.  I am sure the Mopar magazines will be in on the action as well.  50 years from now when it goes for sale the buyer will have all the documentation needed to make his/her purchase.  Nothing will be hidden and the car will not be misrepresented.  That is all that can be asked.

You are taking on a challenge most would shy away from.  I tip my hat to that type of dedication.
:yesnod: :yesnod:  I agree it will never be worth as much as other daytona's and have an * or a little stigma with it.  The car has enough documentation and original drive train I believe you can use enough of the original its worth a try to make it a daytona again .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

"It's my favorite hammer.  I've replaced the handle three times and the head twice, but it's still my favorite old hammer."

Old Moparz

Quote from: thehemikid on February 17, 2013, 02:18:54 AM
  :D

Wow, do you know how many years ago I made that re-body tag support sketch? It's so old I couldn't even find it until just now.   :smilielol: :smilielol:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus