News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why is there grease inside the rear torsion bar anchor point?

Started by bull, September 29, 2010, 05:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

:shruggy: Mine has this and I assume it's original but I don't really see the point.

b5blue

To protect it? I greased up both ends and packed grease over the clip area also.  :scratchchin:

bull

I might have to ask Dick at Firm Feel about this one. It seems kind of goofy to me.

b5blue

It worked on mine 40 years in there and they came out fairly easy, no need for a tool. Cheap and easy.....   :scratchchin:

green69rt

Quote from: bull on September 29, 2010, 05:32:25 PM
:shruggy: Mine has this and I assume it's original but I don't really see the point.

I always assumed it is to let the TB slide back and forth as the car flexes (sp) and to allow expansion and contraction with temperature.  It is a long piece of metal so there will be some movement.  The front of the bar is pretty well fixed so the back is the only place to take up any movement.  What would happend if the front and back were both fixed??

The70RT

With no grease they could seize up, they would eventually rust and probably wear out the cross member & lower a arms.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bull

Ok, so maybe a fair amount of never seize around each both back ends rather than completely filling the hole with grease?

gtx6970

Helps keep road debris out.
helps prevent squeeks during jounce and rebound
helps in initial installation and prevent seizing to aid in removal - IF required

bull

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 30, 2010, 07:01:03 AM
Helps keep road debris out.

Or in, depending on your perspective. Grease likes to grab and hold onto dirt and grime.

HPP

Yes, but if the socket is packed with grease, then the grime gets stuck in it and doesn't migrate in to the hex portion.

b5blue

I have been looking for a vinyl or rubber "cap" that would fit over the back of the torsion bar holder to protect the clip area as well as the front boot covers that area......I've seen clear storage tubes at Home Depot that have what look like giant vacuum caps on the ends, but been to lazy to get a measurement yet. (Since anytime I'm there I'm already pissed off that they don't have what I want!)  :lol:

375instroke

Mike DC

One thing's for sure - if you apply fresh grease when you rebuild the front end, you'd better keep the locking rings back there too.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on September 29, 2010, 07:22:45 PM
I might have to ask Dick at Firm Feel about this one. It seems kind of goofy to me.

Bull - To think - All those years Chrysler was making typos in those hundreds of FSM's over the years....Dumbasses!  :icon_smile_big:

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 05, 2010, 09:10:53 PM

Bull - To think - All those years Chrysler was making typos in those hundreds of FSM's over the years....Dumbasses!  :icon_smile_big:

Well, not every procedure is perfect and repeating an imperfect procedure over an over again doesn't make it more perfect. FWIW, Dick said he doesn't fill the holes with grease like they did at the factory as it's not needed and tends to make a big mess. But yes, there should be lube around the end itself.

TylerCharger69

It's to keep debris out and to keep it rust free....Note the rubber grease grommets on the front side of the support....Very crucial.....the same as greasing the front sides too

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on October 06, 2010, 03:32:28 PM

Bull - To think - All those years Chrysler was making typos in those hundreds of FSM's over the years....Dumbasses!  :icon_smile_big:

Well, not every procedure is perfect and repeating an imperfect procedure over an over again doesn't make it more perfect. FWIW, Dick said he doesn't fill the holes with grease like they did at the factory as it's not needed and tends to make a big mess. But yes, there should be lube around the end itself.

Hey Bull - I was just funning you but for me I think I would go with scores of Chrysler engineers - the best in the business!

green69rt

Another question....back then most greased joints (think ball joints) had a Zerk fitting, why not the TB end?  Also if you really think the joint needs good grease then why not tap a Zerk into it so you could refresh the grease every few years or at least make the initial fill easier.

maxwellwedge

Actually - All the ball joints and other front end stuff didn't have zerk fittings from the factory. They were filled with grease and capped off with a non fillable fitting. The mechanics at the dealership usually replaced these with zerk fittings during maintenance.

green69rt

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 08, 2010, 08:37:30 AM
Actually - All the ball joints and other front end stuff didn't have zerk fittings from the factory. They were filled with grease and capped off with a non fillable fitting. The mechanics at the dealership usually replaced these with zerk fittings during maintenance.

Ah yes... now I remember doing that to my first Charger that I bought new in 69.  Common practice was to replace the plugs with zerks and just leave them in place. 

I checked the SM for maintenance of the TB and there is no mention of changing the grease in the TB sockets so if someone told me they are packed just to keep water out and to prevent corrosion I would probably believe them.

TylerCharger69

That is true....the zerk fittings came from the factory   and USUALLY  when the car was sold, regular grease fittings were installed in the make ready department before the car was driven off the lot.

bull

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 06, 2010, 08:46:58 PM
Quote from: bull on October 06, 2010, 03:32:28 PM

Hey Bull - I was just funning you but for me I think I would go with scores of Chrysler engineers - the best in the business!

I hear you but the engineers probably didn't put the grease in the holes, Billy Budweiser working the floor put it in. So now that I know they're supposed to be greased I have to wonder if the engineers called for as much as they got, if they really had an opinion on the amount, or if Billy got a little too generous. :shruggy:

The70RT

Just like the grease zirks....they were stingy or didn't care.....yeah budweiser :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us