News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Header Removal Help

Started by 69bananabeast, August 01, 2005, 05:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bananabeast

almost ready to pull out my 318 except the headers are in the way , and a some linkage on the trans .   basically my problem is that I dont remember how to remove the control arms to get the headers out from them. The last time I changed out my headers a friend did that part so I dont recall how to do it at all. It is held together by a couple of nuts and a couple of pins right below them. I am not sure of the name of the nut but it is not like a regular one . at the bottom of the nut there are squares cut out . So i guess you could say it kind of looks the way the  top of a castle  is.  Now that doesnt really seem like the problem. The problem is figuring out the way to remove those pins. on one side there are two L shaped bends on the pin and the other side comes out to be like a semi circle . Im really not sure how to remove these at all. I know its not the best description , so i will try to get a pic sometime soon.
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 69bananabeast on August 01, 2005, 05:02:51 PM
I am not sure of the name of the nut but it is not like a regular one . at the bottom of the nut there are squares cut out . So i guess you could say it kind of looks the way the   top of a castle   is.    
That's a castleated (or just castle) nut. The pin going through the nut is a cotter pin to keep the nut from turning. Straighten the pin with pliers & pull it through the other side.

You can use a pickle fork (tie rod separator) to get the tie rods apart.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Ghoste

And be sure NOT to reuse the old cotter pin even if it looks good (it will most likely come out all mangled though).  Always install a new one.