News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got my 440....check it out.

Started by super_dave, October 07, 2010, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

super_dave

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 08, 2010, 06:09:10 PM
looks like you have a decent starting point. enjoy the tear down and cleanup. its a great learning experience and will give you alot of knowledge about how it all works.good luck dave. gona be a sweet car. :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks, it has been enjoyable so far, though my wife laughed at me when I came in this evening....I think I was pretty dirty.  Made good progress today though! :cheers:

super_dave

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 08, 2010, 11:39:01 PM
That's a nice start....forged crank and all.  :2thumbs:

Can you see any cross hatch on the cylinder walls ?

Ron

Thanks Ron!  Pulled the other head off, among other things and spent few hours cleaning.  Cylinder walls look great, couple of them have very light scores in them, more like a scuff, engine is still nice and tight.  One thing I noticed though is that the top of every cylinder has a little ding in it.  Looks like it may be from one of the valves, as it has same round pattern.  I wouldn't know if it was the intake or exhaust valve though, as they look fine.  I cleaned them also and literally took 1/8" or more of carbon and white crust from the centre of them, they were practically flat.  Have not taken pics yet, but will. 

Next is to get the tranny off.  Just remove the bell housing bolts and seperate?  I've left it on for now, cause keeps the motor nicely in place, othrwise it will just b resting on the oil pan.

Thanks guys!

375instroke

Remove the torque converter bolts first.

TylerCharger69

Can someone cross-reference that casting number to determine the year of that block??

Hansson

Sweden. Karlstad

TylerCharger69

66-72?    Yeah...You're in good shape!!   :2thumbs:

super_dave

OK, going well, need some advice though.  Priced out a gasket set here in cCanada, 187.00 not including intake gasket....ouch.  Any online sources I should check.
Secondly, a recommendation on new distributor? What size headers should I use....source?  I think I will take the carb to someone who knows about those and get it cleaned up.  Also, ssource for a new timing chain and cover.  Found an Ebay site with most, but need the Dodge community blessing.. :yesnod:  It's KMJ performance...these guys alright?  Thanks. 

Edit:  Think I'll just use 440 source for everything....any guys use them for shipping to Canada....big hassle...duties / taxes / delays?

jpsycoboy5

Quote from: super_dave on October 12, 2010, 04:22:30 PM
OK, going well, need some advice though.  Priced out a gasket set here in cCanada, 187.00 not including intake gasket....ouch.  Any online sources I should check.
Secondly, a recommendation on new distributor? What size headers should I use....source?  I think I will take the carb to someone who knows about those and get it cleaned up.  Also, ssource for a new timing chain and cover.  Found an Ebay site with most, but need the Dodge community blessing.. :yesnod:  It's KMJ performance...these guys alright?  Thanks. 

Edit:  Think I'll just use 440 source for everything....any guys use them for shipping to Canada....big hassle...duties / taxes / delays?

summitracing.com has it for $55 us money here is the link it is every gasket youll need http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-KS2110/
1973 dodge charger se was 318 in process of swapping in 440

NMike

if you are close to the boarder, there are several places in the states that will accept a package for you (small fee). then pickup when you have some time.

if they do ship to canada, use  USPS only!!!!

NEVER EVER USE UPS OR FED-eX

they will do you good on their brokerage charges, Canada Post will ding you $5 and taxes only.

super_dave

Yeah UPS has screwed me in the past.  I ordered a bunch of stuff from 440 Source, and they do use USPS....so hoping for a good experience :yesnod:

Thanks for the input!

super_dave

Ok, little update and question.  Got motor stripped down, painted tranny, oil pan and bunch other pieces.  Timing chain has 1/4" deflection per side, see pics, does this need to be replaced?

Also the Holley carb, trying to figure out exactly what it is....only part number I can find is 6R3923B....any ideas?

super_dave

And bit of progress...really enjoying this! :yesnod:

ChgrSteve67

I would replace it.

Easier and cheeper to do it now then later.

super_dave

Ok, now that I'm into it, seriously thinking about swapping out the cam on this thing....as you can see I'm gaining confidence.  Looking for suggestions on a cam.....??  I have no idea.  Second thing I would like to ask is if I should just go ahead and put a new carb on this thing.  I was thinking I would send the Holley one out to get cleaned up, but I think it's probably as old as the motor.  If I have to spend $145.00 to clean up the old one, should I not just put on a new one with electric choke?  Also, what cfm rating would you guys recommend...appreciatte the advice guys, thanks.

super_dave

OK, got the new timing chain, will install tonight.  All the 440 source stuff came in also, no problems there...I was impressed with shipping speed and costs, pretty reasonable.  Ordered that big block Mopars book, have not recieved it yet though...  ::)

Torque new timing chain gear to.....ft/lbs?
125 ft/lbs on balancer
70 ft/lbs on head bolts
rocker arm bolts to........ft/lbs?

Loctite on any bolts for following reassembly:
timing chain and cover, water pump, fuel pump, starter, oil pump, heads, valve covers, intake, valley pan....

Thanks guys, appreciatte it!  :yesnod:

greenpigs

I would not Loctite any of the things you listed except maybe on the cam bolts. I think the shafts are 25 ft\lbs. Grab yourself a factory service manual for whatever year Charger you have. They sell them on disk for about $40 on Ebay and you can print off what you need.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Good work Dave !  :2thumbs:

See if you can get a piston to deck measurement so we can figure out how much compression you have. That will help determine cam selection should you decide to swap something else in.  :yesnod:

I would replace the timing chain & Gears. The Comp "magnum" double roller set is cheap and very good quality.  :2thumbs:

Cam bolt is 30 ftlbs with red loctite. Heads are 75 ftlbs in 3 stages ; 30/55/75 with oil on the threads. Rocker shafts are 25 ftlbs.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

super_dave

Excellent Ron, thanks for the input.  Replaced the timing chain and gears yesterday already, torqued to 35 ft/lbs....no loctite though, and timing cover already installed...oops.  I'll pull the cover off and re-install with the loctite.  

nvrbdn

hey dave,lookin great. love the clean up job with the matching fan blade to body color. keep the pic's coming. gona look great when done. :drool5: 1st build is going great. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

super_dave

Quote from: nvrbdn on October 22, 2010, 08:48:32 AM
hey dave,lookin great. love the clean up job with the matching fan blade to body color. keep the pic's coming. gona look great when done. :drool5: 1st build is going great. :2thumbs:

Thanks a ton, feel like I'm a young guy again working on my 75 Olds 442 25 years ago, except not laying on the driveway anymore!  Nice to have a spot to monkey around!

Also, looks like I'm going to have to make my own oil pump to block gasket.  The one that came with the felpro kit is wrong, and apparantly they are hard to find on there own.  No biggie though.

Ordered ANOTHER timing cover gasket set, why are there 7 pieces in this set???   Two pieces look like a thermostat gasket, two small ones with two holes, going on the bottom to oil pan connection I'm guessing, anyway, going to order a shop manula, will hold many answers, thanks.

super_dave

I just realized from reading other posts that my motor did not have a windage tray when I pulled it apart....I just dropped the oil pan, and thats all that was there, is that alright?

FLG

Yes windage tray isn't a must on non high performance engines.

oldcarnut

I just ordered Waynes dvd.  Here's a link to it if your interested.  Folks here say its good.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62311.0.html

super_dave

Quote from: oldcarnut on October 22, 2010, 10:56:14 AM
I just ordered Waynes dvd.  Here's a link to it if your interested.  Folks here say its good.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62311.0.html

Yes I bought it months ago, good presentation, pretty much too advanced for me at this time.

greenpigs

QuoteOrdered ANOTHER timing cover gasket set, why are there 7 pieces in this set???   Two pieces look like a thermostat gasket, two small ones with two holes, going on the bottom to oil pan connection I'm guessing, anyway, going to order a shop manula, will hold many answers, thanks.[/quo

Those extra gaskets are for the water pump housing.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free