News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

charger won't start

Started by yvesp, October 30, 2010, 03:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yvesp

I have not started the car for about a month and today I tried to start it only to find out that the battery is drained, it does not turn, so I put the charger on it, it is turning but it won't start, maybe it is not turning fast enough? or not fully charge enough? should I hold the pedal down while trying to start?

I would appreciate any advice..Thanks

elacruze

How long did you charge the battery? On a small charger (4-6Amp) it needs to charge 24 hours.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

yvesp

It was charged for about 2 hours, I'm sure it is not fully charged, so you think this could be the reason it won't start? I will get it fully charged.
When cranking to start the motor, do you recommend pushing the pedal down 2-3 times between crankings?

Thanks much for the response. Yves

chargerman67

Yeah it needs to be on a lot longer than two hours. If when it is turning over it just stops then you def need to charge it more. but If it is starting to turn over and it keeps cranking then it probably needs a little gas. Pour a little gasoline in the carb and it should start up or at least start to sound like it. . How old is the battery?
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

yvesp

Chargerman67,

Got the battery fully charged. It still didn't start.
It turns out that the carb was empty of gas, I must have emptied it when a
few days ago I was moving the trottle around to see if the secondaries were
openning and it was spewing gas then.
I look into the carb and and move the throttle and sure enough there wasn't any gas going in the carb, no matter how much I pumped the gas pedal
and cranked it, it wouldn't start, so I poured some gas directly in the garb as you adviced, it started to backfire and shouting flames out of the carb, it took about a cup to get it to keep running, but it was running pretty rough again with some back fires and some flames comming out of the carb, so I let it turn around
2000-2500 rpm for a few minutes and when I let it idle it run fairly smouth.
I took it out for a ride and at first when I floored it, it was a bit hesitant with some back firering but now it does seem to run pretty good.

Yves

chargerman67

sounds good... you may have had a little too much gas in there but you probably burned it off. Flames aren't dangerous to the carb itself. But I always have a fire extinguisher on hand.
67 Dodge Charger 440
87 Toyota Supra 2.5L twin turbo (JDM)
95 Impala SS
97 BMW 528i

greenpigs

Quote from: yvesp on October 31, 2010, 02:16:14 PM
Chargerman67,

Got the battery fully charged. It still didn't start.
It turns out that the carb was empty of gas, I must have emptied it when a
few days ago I was moving the trottle around to see if the secondaries were
openning and it was spewing gas then.
I look into the carb and and move the throttle and sure enough there wasn't any gas going in the carb, no matter how much I pumped the gas pedal
and cranked it, it wouldn't start, so I poured some gas directly in the garb as you adviced, it started to backfire and shouting flames out of the carb, it took about a cup to get it to keep running, but it was running pretty rough again with some back fires and some flames comming out of the carb, so I let it turn around
2000-2500 rpm for a few minutes and when I let it idle it run fairly smouth.
I took it out for a ride and at first when I floored it, it was a bit hesitant with some back firering but now it does seem to run pretty good.

Yves

I would pull a plug and make sure it isn't fouled, sooty. You may have a drain also on your battery or a number of things. Have you checked to make sure your poitive cable is tight at the starter?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Back N Black

Quote from: yvesp on October 30, 2010, 03:07:18 PM
I have not started the car for about a month and today I tried to start it only to find out that the battery is drained, it does not turn, so I put the charger on it, it is turning but it won't start, maybe it is not turning fast enough? or not fully charge enough? should I hold the pedal down while trying to start?

Where do you live in NB? I'm in Oromocto.  :cheers:

yvesp

Quote from: Back N Black on November 07, 2010, 08:17:10 PM
Quote from: yvesp on October 30, 2010, 03:07:18 PM

Where do you live in NB? I'm in Oromocto.  :cheers:

I am in Grand Falls, we are not that far apart, let me know if you ever come this way with your charger. Yves