News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

speedometer cable and pinion gear

Started by yvesp, October 31, 2010, 02:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yvesp

Can anyone direct me to a video on the installation of a speedometer cable and pinion gear, I especially need help with the installation of the pinion gear.

Any good information on this would be appreciated.

John_Kunkel

There is an adapter in the tailhousing that holds the speedo pinion, the end of the cable threads onto it.

Remove the bolt that holds the adapter retainer and pull the adapter straight out, the pinion can then be removed/replaced. Before reinstalling the adapter find the number on the face of the adapter that coincides with the number of teeth on the pinion and clock the adapter according to the diagram below, install the retainer and bolt and then the speedo cable.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

yvesp

John,

Thank you so much, now I will attempt to change my cable and pinion next saturday.

Thanks again, Yves

Troy

It will help to have the rear of the car raised. I've only changed them on my 4-speed and I made a big mess! I think it's less likely on an auto since (I believe) the fluid level is lower. It really only takes a couple of minutes. Changing the cable is more work than the pinion. As John said, make sure the marks are lined up and it slides right in.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

greenpigs

Once you get the bolt off use the old cable to help wiggle off the housing, some are snug. Just held in by an O ring but mine continues to fight me & I think they "sealed" it.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

yvesp

Guys, Thanks much for your suggestions, I will attempt to change my speedo cable and pinion gear this comming saturday and I will follow your ideas.

Wish me luck, Yves

bull

John's FSM pic screwed me up a little because it's different than mine. Here's what a 4 spd setup looks like (FYI):