News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Get rid of GM part on my MOPAR

Started by 67440chrg, November 07, 2010, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67440chrg

Before I got my car someone had put a GM alternator on it. My guess would be to power the 280 GPH barry grant fuel pump. I would have tried a high amp mopar one but it was not me. The gm one has a single pole with one large, one small wire and one jumper back to the alt. My guess is the small is to the guage, large is to the battery and jumper is part of the internal regulateing system. I am jusr guessing. I am no good at the electrical systems. What Mopar alt will enterchange back in with the least evasave to the chargeing system. I am not runing a giant pump anymore or anything that should draw much more than normal. It should not matter but I am thinking of going chrome with my new one.

John_Kunkel

The difficulty of installing a Mopar alternator will depend on the existing bracket.

The one small wire that isn't jumpered is a power source from the ignition switch that is used to activate the unit, usually run through a light or resistor and sometimes through a diode. The small jumpered wire is used to sense the system voltage, not the best way to hook one up.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

67440chrg

Brackets are not a problem. I still have factiry type on the car. I guess my question should have been. Is there a mopar alternater with a built in regulater so I dont have to rewire anything? I have a diagram on how the factory wireing should be with a seperate regulater.Thanks

FLG

Whats wrong with the GM unit?

A lot of us (soon myself included) run 1 wire GM alts. Mopars are notorious for having idle charging issues  :popcrn:

Cooter

Quote from: FLG on November 09, 2010, 07:20:38 PM
Whats wrong with the GM unit?

A lot of us (soon myself included) run 1 wire GM alts. Mopars are notorious for having idle charging issues  :popcrn:

AMEN! GM 1 wires are the greatest thing since sliced bread when it comes to a Chrysler Alt. Soon as you swap out that GM aLt. You'll be back on here wondering why your lights go dim at idle with alot of electrical stuff on....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

67440chrg

I guess nothing but I would like to have a Mopar that is all Mopar. I go to a lot of cruises and shows and there are not many mopars at them. It would be nice to not hear that the only good thing about my car is the alternater from men who are driveing cars that look just like 20 other car at the show.

Charger RT

the newer denso units should fit. there are threads here on the conversion. Mopar never got into internal regulated alternators. There was one or two years in the mid 80's mopar used an internal regulated unit on front wheel drive cars. But the denso isn't built by mopar but they have used a boat load of them and it will charge fine at an idle. Ebay has a regulator that bolts on the back of the denso alternator making it a one wire.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230375667283&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Tim

67440chrg

Thank You !  I have heard the name before.  I guess this is a case of If it aint broke dont fix it but im stubbern.

Cooter

Lemme see, it's NOT ok to run a Gm part, but "OK" to run an import part? Hmmm....I didn't know that...

I wouldn't worry too much bout what others say at car shows...If I did, I'd be in jail or worse by now as there's ALWAYS some kinda smartass that's jealous of Mopar cause it's grabbin' all the attention...I go with what works, ease of getting a replacement from the local auto parts store, and what's cheap...Mopar One wire Alt. are NOT carried by every parts store and cost more. The Gm one wire will have more amp output than the Chrysler one...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2010, 06:38:33 AM
Lemme see, it's NOT ok to run a Gm part, but "OK" to run an import part? Hmmm....I didn't know that...

Yep -  my 6.1L hemi says "Made in Mexico" on the side..    my P/S pump says "Toyoda" on it...          alternators used on it are Nippon Denso units...     

Global economy at its finest.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Charger RT

Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2010, 06:38:33 AM

I wouldn't worry too much bout what others say at car shows...If I did, I'd be in jail or worse by now as there's ALWAYS some kinda smartass that's jealous of Mopar cause it's grabbin' all the attention...I go with what works, ease of getting a replacement from the local auto parts store, and what's cheap...Mopar One wire Alt. are NOT carried by every parts store and cost more. The Gm one wire will have more amp output than the Chrysler one...

Yes it is ok to go denso (import) over GM.

1. GM lovers will go out of their way to make it a point to say your car was junk until you put a GM part on it. Or something like that.
2. The Denso unit has been used by chrysler for at least 20 years so it can be considered an OEM unit.
3. The Denso unit will fix the idle charge issue as good as a GM and will charge almost forever. And uses the same wiring as 70 up.
4. The light weight starter we have embraced are Denso units or Denso design.

Tim

FLG

But what happens if your alt craps out and your stuck on the side of the road?

Id rather have a gm alt that's cheap and available than a chrysler unit that's costly and that they might not have everywhere.

I hate how parts stores carry more gm and chebby than anything! I can buy sbc valve covers at the damn deli, try to find mopar parts is hard sometimes.

Charger RT

Quote from: FLG on November 11, 2010, 11:34:28 AM

Id rather have a gm alt that's cheap and available than a chrysler unit that's costly and that they might not have everywhere.

I hate how parts stores carry more gm and chebby than anything! I can buy sbc valve covers at the damn deli, try to find mopar parts is hard sometimes.

The denso is the best kept secret out there. They practically work forever. My 92 mini 175,000 miles In the spring I replaced the worn out brushes a few weeks ago my wifes 94 mini with 195,000 needed brushes. The brushes are 10 bucks. The denso starters are similar they need contacts at about 150,000 miles. I did my starter last summer in my van. Plus if you disect a denso alternator you will find more diodes then anybody elses alternator. (i have never had a bad one either) The rear bearing is bigger then any GM Ford or Chrysler front alternator bearing out there and the front bearing is massive. The best part is the brushes are on the back. You don't need to split it to replace them. Just remove a tin cover off the back. They also bolt right into the old mopar spot. If it did crap out drop an old mopar one in. But the one on my mini and the one on my 2.2 uses the same ear setup as the original unit on my charger. Same wiring a battery cable and 2 field wires.
Tim

willy

The powermaster people swear that their #7018 alternator will solve the low output at idle problem and it looks stock. Has anyone tried one of these?

b5blue

I have a Denso 120amp conversion from Mancini.....LOVE IT!!  :2thumbs:

flyinlow

I put the Jegs (delco) 100 amp single wire alternator on my Charger. Light are brighter, electric fans are no problem and its chrome. I dont care who makes the elecricity.
I would not give up my Optima battery for a Mopar one either.   :Twocents:

Cooter

Everytime one of those idiots at the local car shows say something like "Gm parts made my Mopar run better"....

I have a perfect comback I think.....Look under any Top Fuel, funny cars Body and tell me what you see in John Force's "Mustang"......

bull

Quote from: 67440chrg on November 09, 2010, 08:09:28 PM
I guess nothing but I would like to have a Mopar that is all Mopar. I go to a lot of cruises and shows and there are not many mopars at them. It would be nice to not hear that the only good thing about my car is the alternater from men who are driveing cars that look just like 20 other car at the show.

Easy solution: skip the shows (which are usually populated by Billy Badass know-it-alls anyway) and go drive it around town where normal people can see and appreciate it.

Quote from: FLG on November 11, 2010, 11:34:28 AM

At that point couldn't you stop by any 7-11 and buy a GM unit? :shruggy:

b5blue

I still did not like the one wire's feeding everything through the battery. Not how Ma Mopar intended in the wiring. The GM cars were designed for it. (To each his own though)  :cheers:

flyinlow

GM Runs all their power thru the starter terminal for an electrical clearinghouse. Subject to oil,salt and water, not a great idea.

Mopar uses the ammeter for an electrical clearinghouse. OK when the wiring was new with a stock alt., not so good with old wiring, big alts. and more electric loads like cooling fans, big sound systems, aftermarket lighting and OD trans. looking for juice.

I have a trunk mouinted Battery and use the under hood charging post as the clearinghouse. Battey feed and alt wires are double insulated with convoluted tubing and protected with fuses. A200 amp on the battery ground strap ( I use a mini starter) and a 100 amp on the alt. wire.  I have a voltmeter instead of an ammeter now.   :Twocents: