News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage compressors

Started by Silver R/T, December 28, 2005, 01:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

hey guys post your garage compressor pics/info and any other info. Need to decide what style I want. Do you keep it inside of garage or outside in shed?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chryco Psycho

Do NOT buy an oiless compressor it could last 1 year If you are lucky
get a 2 stage V style compressor with an oil sump if you want it to last

HeavyFuel

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 28, 2005, 02:34:16 AM
Do NOT buy an oiless compressor it could last 1 year If you are lucky
get a 2 stage V style compressor with an oil sump if you want it to last

I am guessing that this type would not be able to be used for painting, or any other applications that require "clean" finished product?  Oiled compressors for tools and whatnot, and non-oiled for painting and wood projects.  Is this correct?

Silver R/T

no you have to run filter on any compressor you use to eliminate water/oil in your air

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

GTX

:iagree: Not a good idea to go without.

sharpspike

love posting pics of my compressor.

71/2 horse 4 cyl 33cfm 80 gal tank and air dryer, ive run two air boards, grinders, da's, no stopping.  built a room for it inside garage to protect from overspray.

dont know where your located, but you might want to check out this place. definitely more bang for your buck compared to the depo stores.
great customer service and excellent feedback on ebay.

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

Silver R/T

how much was your model, its 220V right?

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

That's where I'm getting mine Sharpspike. I've heard good things and they are only a 45 minute drive so I don't have to pay shipping.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Troy

Silver R/T

I saw one at Lowe's that I could use for while for $300, its enough to spray a car (to run D/A or gun) I cant afford 1800 dollar compressor right now

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

sharpspike

yes its 220. this one was $2000 the dryer $575 they put a ten horse pump on this one. they have less expensive models and they all seem to be well built. seen them when i picked mine up.

might be overkill for the weekender but i use my compressor a lot and have killed 3 other ones in the last 20 years, a sanborn, a ingersol, and a case all 5hp two stage water pumping stop and go's. i dont even count the craftsman that lasted a month.

it all depends on how your going to use it. this one turns on and off even running two sanders. the others would run until the air pressure was to low ( one sander ) that i would have to stop let em catch up then start again. this just made more water in the tank that over whelmed the filters i had,   then you get water to your air tools ( one thing i hate is water spraying out of a sander ) or paint gun. the air dryer has been worth every penny, water hasent made it to my secondary filters even on humid days.

whatever you get id buy the best dryer or filter system you can get.

end of rant

sharpspike

Quote from: Troy on December 28, 2005, 10:49:34 PM
That's where I'm getting mine Sharpspike. I've heard good things and they are only a 45 minute drive so I don't have to pay shipping.

Troy

which one you looking at getting troy? whatever one you get, take plenty of good strong tie downs they are heavy.

sharpspike

hey troy, did you get your compressor yet

Troy

Quote from: sharpspike on January 28, 2006, 09:16:21 PM
hey troy, did you get your compressor yet
Nope, I've been too busy since Thanksgiving to even think about it. I did drive by the business once but they were closed. There's a two week lead time I believe so if I plan it right I can install it on my next break. Since I've been too busy to work on the cars I'm wondering if I even need a great compressor at all. I may end up paying someone to do the hard labor just to get the things done. I'm determined to be driving something this summer.

Troy

AdamMopar

daytonalo

I JUST BOUGHT A 7.5 HORSE 80 GAL FROM HARBOR-F FOR 1300 WITH A TWO YEAR WARR, CAST IRON 2 STAGE  PUMP WITH COOLER AND BALDOR MOTOR AND SQUARE D PANEL . AND I BOUGHT A CHILLER FOR 300 , WHY PAY MORE ?

1970440RT

I've heard a ton of good things about Eaton.  I'm getting ready to order mine this week.  I'm going for the 4.5 horse 60 gallon model.  It should be big enough for my weekend jobs.  I'm getting ready to throw my current craftsman model into an old mineshaft.

Todd Wilson

You will not find a 110volt compressor that will run a DA nonstop or paint gun. Get a cast iron piston pump unit. Stay away form oiless units. Sears sells oiless units on most of their compressors.  When I started my 71 Project  my cast iron piston pump5hp 20 gal unit didnt have enough poop to run the DA very long. I found a damaged frieght Sears oiless 30 gallon unit for cheap.  I knew it would last for my project and any longer was a bonus. So far its been just fine. We ran the dog piss out of both compressors non stop for hours and hours during my project.

If you think you may do body work at home save your money and get a big 220 volt unit. You wont be sorry and if you take care of it the unit will last you a lifetime.

Todd