News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flat black paint..which one?

Started by FLG, November 10, 2010, 01:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLG

Well guys,

Seriously considering painting her flat black until I can afford to get the body work done. Seen some 3rd gens and loved em flat. Plus it'll hide some flaws and I won't have to stress cleaning.

What's a good paint to use?

Thanks!

Charger-Bodie

Brand isnt a really big deal in this situation.just stay away from the really cheap off brands. The most important thing is to be sure to use base clear ...with a flat clear. Its the best way for achieving unifirnity.

By the way ....flat black does not hide flaws much if any better thatn gloss. Just an fyi.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

69 OUR/TEA

Like Brian said,def base/clear with a flattening clear.I use PPG's 2060 Flex-n-Flat ,real nice stuff.One other thing to remember,try and get a clean job(dirt or dust)because you can't sand and buff out the dirt nibs.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 10, 2010, 08:52:00 AM
Like Brian said,def base/clear with a flattening clear.I use PPG's 2060 Flex-n-Flat ,real nice stuff.One other thing to remember,try and get a clean job(dirt or dust)because you can't sand and buff out the dirt nibs.

Hi do you have a better pic (somewhere on the forum of your car)
Guessing it's flat black to, like to see
I'm considering also the flat/charcoal black.

Thanks
Patrick  :punkrocka:

FLG

Id think it somewhat hide some flaws. Either way I like it lol

Was thinking single stage might be better and less work?

1BAD68

Quote from: FLG on November 10, 2010, 01:02:50 AM
Seriously considering painting her flat black until I can afford to get the body work done.

If its just temporary and you want to save $$
Try Duplicolor's flat black in the spray can.
I painted mine 3 years ago using 11 cans = approx. $55.00
I rub it out with a cleaner and wipe down with WD-40 once a year and it looks nice.

Troy

I've been doing a LOT of research on this. The first question you need to answer is: will you be stripping the car down to bare metal before giving it a "real paint job" or would you like to paint over it at some point? This narrows down your choices of black due to incompatibilities. If you want cheap and somewhat durable but single stage which you'll have to remove try SEM "Hot Rod Black" or - believe it or not - John Deere "Blitz Black" (used inside their cab to reduce glare). Both have good reviews from the rodding and off-road worlds for durability. The SEM paint comes in a kit. Both aren't much more expensive than rattle cans and give a much better result. Some people still prefer DP90 primer. All require some maintenance are can be a challenge to touch up.

There's another brand that can be used as a base to paint over but the name escapes me at the moment.

Honestly, I think if you go base/clear you'll have as much time and money invested as if you actually put it in a gloss color. It will probably look better and last longer but neither of those reasons are important for a "temporary" or "low-buck" job. Might as well paint it once and for all to get the end result you're looking for.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

FLG

It is temporary, but id want to paint over it with a nice bc/cc gloss black eventually. The fenders and doors will be (doors already did) stripped down to bare metal, epoxy coated..body work done...ect ect. So it makes no sense to use a black that's going to have me have to strip all that back down when I want to paint that nice gloss on top.

So what do I want to use that can later be scuffed up and painted over?

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 10, 2010, 09:58:48 AM
Seriously considering painting her flat black until I can afford to get the body work done.

I rub it out with a cleaner and wipe down with WD-40 once a year and it looks nice.
Love the oldschool look.
Saw on ebay one of the Deathproof cars for sale.....looks kinda like yours...(other year off course)

FLG

Same here  :cheers:

Just to elaborate.

The car needs a full resto. But i dont have the money for something like that for someone else to do completely (maybe one day)

My goal for this winter is to,

- Replace both fenders
- Replace both doors
- Fix front valance
- New rear valance
- Remove and polish trim myself
- Replace vinyl roof and repair what needs to be

Ive already got the doors done and sitting in my basement, im waiting on getting the fenders. Once they come in i plan on stripping them down to metal, epoxy, body work, prime..ect

I also plan on doing the same for the engine bay, and under the car (the floors have already been replaced)

The car needs quite a bit of quarter panel work and needs some trunk floor work. I plan on cleaning up these quarters as best as i could for now and hopefully in the next year or two ill have enough funds together for the "nice" work to be done, which if take care of this big chunk will merely be the quarters, trunk floor, whatever other rust there might be, and probably just going over some of my work.

So i want to use a paint now that will limit the "redo" time in the future. I basically want the shop i bring it to, to be able to fix any dents i might have missed on the panels and get em straight, scuff em up and spray. It seems dumb to do all this work and then the next shop has to do all my work over again (esp if i do it correctly the first time and they only have to tweak or fix some of the things i missed)

I dont mind using a bc/cc system as long as i can spray over it in the future, or a single stage that i can spray over.

If i have to go bc/cc do you also wet sand and compound it like you would a glossy bc/cc paint?

Charger-Bodie

You can not buff flat paint or clear or it will turn shiny.

I would used base/clear. It will be less of a problem to go back over later.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

FLG

Gotcha  :2thumbs:

So whats the best and economic route for the BC/CC paint?

PPG with some flattening agent? Is there any flattening agent added to the clear as well? or just the paint?

Charger-Bodie

The base is normal. The clear I would reccomend for this is the same as 69our/tea.....2060 flexed n flat PPG. Its easy and not bad priced.either.

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 10, 2010, 09:58:48 AM

Bumpers looks als different, did you to something to them?
Like to see more pics of the car.

FLG

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 10, 2010, 05:59:15 PM
The base is normal. The clear I would reccomend for this is the same as 69our/tea.....2060 flexed n flat PPG. Its easy and not bad priced.either.

Was thinking,

Cant i just go with some flat black lacquer?  :2thumbs:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: FLG on November 10, 2010, 08:29:22 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 10, 2010, 05:59:15 PM

Was thinking,

Cant i just go with some flat black lacquer?  :2thumbs:

You definitely dont want to try spraying a nice finish over that gummy crap...

1BAD68

Quote from: PatrickPeeters on November 10, 2010, 06:16:53 PM
Bumpers looks als different, did you to something to them?
Like to see more pics of the car.

Bumpers are painted. I was in the same boat as FLG except I just concentrated on the mechanical stuff and made it presentable until I got around to the body.
I suck at body work so I just sprayed it with spray cans and my bumpers were pretty bad so I sprayed them too.
Still haven't got around to the body (3 years since I sprayed it) but eventually I will.

squeakfinder

1BAD68- Is that a recent picture? That looks real nice. The oil based enamel I used on mine in my avatar started looking like crap after a year an half or so. 
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

1BAD68

The first one I posted is the most recent, about two months ago.
This one is fresh from painting 3 years ago...
I use this stuff called 'Awesome' its a really good cleaner and then I wipe it with some WD-40 and it keeps it looking pretty good and brings the dark black back.
Otherwise it starts to look chalky.

squeakfinder

I'm gonna have to try this. They sell Awsome at the dollar store if it's the same stuff your talking about.
And, I'm in the same boat you an FLG are. I've got the mechanical done to where I can drive a long distance but I'm not happy with the body work. Thanks for posting the pics.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

charger2fast4u

Quote from: 1BAD68 on November 10, 2010, 09:33:46 PM
The first one I posted is the most recent, about two months ago.
This one is fresh from painting 3 years ago...
I use this stuff called 'Awesome' its a really good cleaner and then I wipe it with some WD-40 and it keeps it looking pretty good and brings the dark black back.
Otherwise it starts to look chalky.

I like the stripe in the rear did you use paint or get a decal? I'm debating to run flat black primer for awhile or pay the money for a paint job it will be awhile if I go paint to save enough

FLG

68 the rattle can method is tempting lool

Looks sweet!

So no go on the lacquer eh?  :'(

1BAD68

The stripe is painted, Duplicolor gloss black.
I stripped the body down to bare metal, shot some primer and sprayed the Duplicolor.
Could have it down to bare metal again in about two hours tops with a DA.

PatrickPeeters

Looks clean and nice. like it a lot...