News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wacky tach

Started by lilwendal, December 28, 2005, 09:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilwendal

Just hooked the tic tock tach up and as soon as turn to ignition the needle goes to 6 grand.  No way i hooked it up wrong.  Case is ground, blue to 12v ignition on, grey to the neg of the coil.  Any ideas or is it time to pull it back out and send it out for rebuild?  Does anyone know of a reliable tach rebuilder?  Is there anything in the service manuals about this that i can investigate. I am an aviation tech by trade and we do have an avionics shop that i could use for test equipment.  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

471_Magnum

What type ignition system? An MSD, or any type of multistrike system will cause it to flake out. Usually it won't work at all though.

The factory tachs pretty much suck and are really only good for decoration IMHO. THey are very inaccurate even when functioning properly.

There is a company making a retrofit kit to upgrade the factory tach with modern guts. Dont have the info handy, but I believe they advertise in Mopar Collectors Guide. Cost is about $75 IIRC.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

lilwendal

Thats the way I'd like to go.  Just updating the internals to something more reliable.  Anyone have a source to purchase a retro tach? Thanks

lilwendal

Sorry. Running Chrysler electronic ignition.

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."