News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Spark plugs...

Started by yvesp, November 18, 2010, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yvesp

I pulled out one spark plug and it is not dark, but they are like a brown
color, but at the base where the tread starts it is black there.
There is also a white glaze on the outside of the plugs.. not sure what to
make of this.

When I order my spark plugs (NGK XR5) do I need to tell them it's for a 440 engine?
also about caping, I read somewhere that they should be gapped at .035? also
can someone explain (proper way to do this) how to gapped the new plugs
properly? it's something I've never done. I want to make sure I do this
right.

Any good advice would be appreciated.

greenpigs

The desired color is tan & it sounds like you might have a fouled plug, a picture would help alot.

NGK XR5 are designed for a RB so no need to tell them unless of course they ask. The gap is pre-set  @.035 and mine were preaty much dead nuts when I checked. They have tools that will set the gap so all the plugs are the same. Or at least closer than mashing it on a wood table to adjust the gap. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900313/

Hopefully this is good advise. :2thumbs:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

b5blue

You move the little tang that's welded to the rim up or down. Never press or push on the center electrode that runs through the middle of the plug or you will crack or chip the ceramic insulator. Do an online search there's lots of info on exact details.

yvesp

Quote from: greenpigs on November 18, 2010, 08:43:17 PM
The desired color is tan & it sounds like you might have a fouled plug, a picture would help alot.

NGK XR5 are designed for a RB so no need to tell them unless of course they ask. The gap is pre-set  @.035 and mine were preaty much dead nuts when I checked. They have tools that will set the gap so all the plugs are the same. Or at least closer than mashing it on a wood table to adjust the gap. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900313/

Hopefully this is good advise. :2thumbs:

This is very good advice indeed, much thanks! ;)

yvesp

Quote from: b5blue on November 19, 2010, 07:05:04 AM
You move the little tang that's welded to the rim up or down. Never press or push on the center electrode that runs through the middle of the plug or you will crack or chip the ceramic insulator. Do an online search there's lots of info on exact details.

Thanks for your information, I really appreciate it! I will do an online search as you advice. :icon_smile_wink: