News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood pins!! '69 RT/SE J45 code **UPDATED PICS!** 2/16/15

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, November 30, 2010, 07:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes folks hood pins were a valid option for '69 Chargers but are rarely seen.  Up until now I've only had 6 cars registered with the option BUT only 2 with actual fender tag proof.  I have another car with the code on the original window sticker, but no hood pins were ever installed on the car (car is an unrestored survivor)  Now I have another with tag proof & pics, courtesy of a couple in Canada that purchased the car when it was just 1 year old.

When they registered the car a few months ago & I noticed the J45 on the tag & immediately asked for pics of the car & the hood pins.  The wife responded that she'd have to borrow a camera & then have her husband move the years of stuff that has been piled onto the car in the garage!  The car was brought home about 5 years ago after a 20+ year hibernation at another location.

The car is a built for Canadian export RT/SE in R6 red with black leather interior, black top & stripe.  Also coded for the V21 Hood Performance Treatment (which all the other 6 J45 Hood Pin cars are coded for as well)

The wife sent many cool pics of the car & a few detail shots of the hood pin setup but sadly NONE of how the pin actually mounts to the rad support & where it goes through the hood from underneath.  Sadly this is as big as the pics are that she sent as well..... :rotz:

Enjoy!!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

A few more detail pics of the V21 & how its laid out
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

Good stuff, looks like the tall bumper guards too,.. are these hood pin, performance blackout R/Ts late build dates by any chance?..
                  :popcrn:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes all June-July '69 builds EXCEPT for the one with the J45 on the window sticker but no pins on car.... April build and it was a "Special Order" Y39 coded car as well
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

tan top

:drool5: unrestored too !!  :coolgleamA:  still some awesome cars hidden away by the looks of it  :yesnod:
what the plan , restore ? or    

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Just 6T9 CHGR

They have been buying parts over the years & are going to start over the winter restoring it....one of their good friends owns a body shop for 50 years.....guy is 79 & still doing it!!  he's going to start the resto!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Brock Samson

I used to see a green R/T SE round about these parts owned by a Cop in my area, Dark Green & Black  it had the hood treatment  :ahum: but I don't remember the pins...  :scratchchin:  :shruggy: Seems i would, i think I once saw it in my travels about four Yrs. ago and posted a pic. on here but I doubt I can find it... I will make the attempt however,..
Some old threads I remember can't be found anymore, like one on the spray painters at Fisherman's Warf from a few years back, and a few others I've looked for...
Anyways, I'll go have a look...  

:leaving:

welp, I couldn't find it, though it might be in the Chargers in the wild thread...
  I did find this however, and thought I'd share...
  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,59958.0.html

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 30, 2010, 07:02:47 PM
The wife sent many cool pics of the car & a few detail shots of the hood pin setup but sadly NONE of how the pin actually mounts to the rad support & where it goes through the hood from underneath.  Sadly this is as big as the pics are that she sent as well..... :rotz:

Enjoy!!

That is seriously cool!  :drool5:

Maybe do some CSI math on the pics to figure out where the holes go through the hood?

Is there any chance you can talk with them and see if they would let someone come over and view/document the specifics on behalf of you/the registry? That's some really important info hiding in that car.  :yesnod:

I have dealt with several older individuals who were selling their cars and I always get under 200k sized pics. They are smart enough to re size them down but don't realize that they should be sending the bigger photos.  :brickwall: When you talk to them about it you can hear they are audibly frustrated with the whole net/email thing. I just keep thinking my day will come where I will be outpaced by technology too.  :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

SFRT

the pins go through the bolt hole next to the one that contains the adjustable rubber hood stop. I think that the factory hoodpin setup would have a small additional piece of sheetmetal welded there for reinforcement....
Always Drive Responsibly

SFRT

Always Drive Responsibly

Just 6T9 CHGR

This was the only pic that showed under the hood.....I did reply to the email thanking them for the pics....i tried my hardest not to be a pest but I did ask for other shots!  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: SFRT on November 30, 2010, 07:52:38 PM
the pins go through the bolt hole next to the one that contains the adjustable rubber hood stop. I think that the factory hoodpin setup would have a small additional piece of sheetmetal welded there for reinforcement....
I have that piece on my car.   My incorrect fake repro tag calls for hood pins, but my car is Nov 68 at best guess, so that makes no sense?  

That is better than super cool.  A true rare time capsule, hate to see it restored to be honest.  Only original and rare once.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

69chargerrt440

Nice. I always liked R6 Red. Beautiful color.  :2thumbs:
When your Charger is sideways, just give it more gas!

694spdRT

That is a nicely optioned Charger. I always like the R6 cars though. :icon_smile_wink:  I wish mine would have came V21 and J45 adorned.

Is that window sticker car missing the hood pins you mentioned the one from the Charger registry show? I lost a lot pics when my harddrive crashed last year.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

SFRT

that extra piece is killer. get some hood pins!!
Always Drive Responsibly

stripedelete

Quote from: bakerhillpins on November 30, 2010, 07:50:23 PM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on November 30, 2010, 07:02:47 PM

Enjoy!!

That is seriously cool!  :drool5:

Maybe do some CSI math on the pics to figure out where the holes go through the hood?

I have a hood from a hood pin car.  Picked it up in the early 80's.  Is there anyway to tell if it's original?  Or were they a popular aftermaket thing in the 70's?  Could it help anyone?

bill440rt

VERY interesting find, Chris!  :cheers:

Nice to see there's still some oddball cars out there just waiting to be found.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: stripedelete on November 30, 2010, 11:44:58 PM

I have a hood from a hood pin car.  Picked it up in the early 80's.  Is there anyway to tell if it's original?  Or were they a popular aftermaket thing in the 70's?  Could it help anyone?

Hood pins were one of the most popular things to do to a car in the 70s and 80s  :'(

Most hood pins were cheap and rusted over their bright finish  :brickwall:

BigBlackDodge

Did the factory delete the hood latch when optioned with the hood pins?

BBD

Ghoste

Not on Chargers.  Not on most all Mopars for that matter.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: SFRT on November 30, 2010, 11:06:48 PM
that extra piece is killer. get some hood pins!!
I can't prove my car had them and I have no idea why those extra pieces are there, and I don't like the hood pin look on a 69 anyway.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Well the owners were nice enough to come through with some more pics!   Mostly of the pin itself.
Looking at these there doesn't seem to be any extra bracketry involved? :scratchchin:
Maybe there was no need for anything else because this was more of a "dress up" item?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T