News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

floors/trunk floor/wheelhouses/quarter replacement advice needed

Started by toqwik, December 29, 2005, 09:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toqwik

Well I have to replace about everything in the rear of my car, trunk floors, outer wheel house, trunk extensions, and quarters. 
1. Should I just wack it all out, or go a piece at a time?
2. should the trunk floor go in in 1/2, or put together and weld in as 1 piece.
3.does the rear of the body need to be supported when cutting the trunk floor out, or does the rear valance area and crossmembers hold it straight.
4. on my car 68 Charger, do the wheel houses need to be modified?  thought I saw somewhere they were for Coronet also and needed trimmed.

If anyone wants to stop by and help, I do have a good supply of cold beer!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Doc74

1 ONLY if you have done this many times before, if not take it piece by piece and before you cut ANYTHING measure, not once, not twice but till you know all measurements of the car in your head.
Imagine your car not having quarters, trunk floor and extensions, wheelwells. Not a lot left to go on huh ? One at a time and you'll be fine.

2 Unless parts of the quarters are off you cannot get that trunkfloor in there, the lid opening is too small for it, that's the reason it comes in two parts.
When you cut the rear bottom of a quarter a bit higher than the trunk floor, you can slide it through but you can just as well weld the two halves together IN the trunk.Yes you need to remove the gastank  :icon_smile_big:

3 When you remove the floor and extensions you do not have to reinforce anything, the floor's there to keep the junk in the car, the rails and rear crossmember carry most weight in that area and they'll be fine as long as they're not swiss cheese, if they are then the whole car will need reinforcing !

4 Very likely since the repops are usually not identical which means that you might have to cut, grind or bend a corner here and there, I'm currently working on CB's charger and the quarter patches and extensions do NOT line up at all, it's a disgrace .... and more fun for me  :icon_smile_big:
Count on modifying every repop part you got but don't worry on the floors, they fit fairly well.

Wish I could help you but I don't drink and I'm at least 4000 miles away, can you wait a bit ?  ;D

If you got any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

PocketThunder

Does it look like this!  :o    Do it one piece at a time or its easy to F it up.  I did it all at once and its F'd up.  Took a lot of tweaking to get it straight..

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Doc74

Thanks for adding the pic PT

How's the project going ? Is that a current pic ?
As I said, I can't just come over there and help you guys out but I can here.
I take progress pics of CB's charger, right now i cut out some bad spots and I'll be more than happy to show them here for reference, plain fun or to see you're never alone with half a charger  :icon_smile_big:  Hey every little bit helps !

This is how she sits now, if time permits she should be done by the end of the month.

http://users.pandora.be/dirk.peeters3/Project%20CB's%20Charger/

burnt69

I had to replace about everything from doors back on mine to.

toqwik

My rails, tail pan, and valence are all still in good shape, just have a perfect square around the mat on top of the gas tank.  It's about like Burnts car,  Quaters are solid from body line up, but drivers side took a hard hit above the wheel, crushing the inner fender, so all that is gonna go.  Trunk extensions are solid except for where they attach to the fender lip and where the plug was, about 3 inches total, but with my welding skills I will beter off doing a new panel than trying to patch this one up.  Thanks all for the help..

Chargeraddict

Ya im in the midst of this part too, do these outer wheel houses all have to be trimmed? mine are from car quest.  its looking that way for me the quarters seem to flare out when clamped in place and the bend doesnt line up underneath with the inner rocker. Who over designed these replacement panels that need to be redesigned on the fly needs a smack. I think we have enough work cut out for us as it is.

Jer