News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best transmission fluid to use?

Started by 1970 FE5 RR, December 29, 2005, 03:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970 FE5 RR

This may sound like a rather dumb question but what are your preferences when it comes to Transmission Fluid? ???
I have a 70 Road Runner with an automatic transmission. I had a rather large amount of ATF leak, ( A few bolts were lose around the trans pan.)  I was shopping for some fluid yesterday and was looking for the factory Dextron IIE but only found Dextron III the guy said that the Dextron II E has been switched to Dextron III. 

I was just wondering what is the correct fluid to use on  mopar at this moment and what do you'll use when it comes to your Mopar?

Thank you for your time,
Matt 
1970 Road Runner: 383 H.P
1971 Dodge Charger SE  440 H.P
1974 Charger SE    FOR SALE!

Ghoste

I use Dexron III, but I imagine you will get a variety of answers for this one and all of them will likely be correct.

John_Kunkel

Any version of Dexron is the original factory recommended fluid, the ATF+ fluids will work as will ANY ATF or hydraulic fluid.

Contrary to popular belief you can even mix the various types with no ill effect.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MOPARHOUND!

"Type F" used in Ford transmissions is a popular choice for the 727 Torqueflite.  I have it in my Charger.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

1970 FE5 RR

I appreciate all of the feedback guys.
Thanks alot! ;D

Matt
1970 Road Runner: 383 H.P
1971 Dodge Charger SE  440 H.P
1974 Charger SE    FOR SALE!

BigBlackDodge

Had my 727 rebuilt a few months back......guy said to use Dextron.

Nice bird BTW!   ;D

BBD

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

AKcharger

Yes post resurrection lol...but in the past almost 20 years have we found anything better thanks just dextron 4? and what about additives?

Thanks!

John_Kunkel

All of the modern fluids are formulated for transmissions with overdrive and lockup converters...simply put, these fluids intentionally cause more slippage than the original Dexron or Type F. Make your choice accordingly.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AKcharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 29, 2023, 11:44:44 AMAll of the modern fluids are formulated for transmissions with overdrive and lockup converters...simply put, these fluids intentionally cause more slippage than the original Dexron or Type F. Make your choice accordingly.

exactly! so what are my choices??

b5blue

AKcharger

I've never heard type F. Owners manual and Maintenace manual says Dextron 3 (Now Dextron 4)

So I'm just going to leave it alone,  no leaks, it works...its fine