News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 help on a 73 charger

Started by 73chargercali, December 29, 2005, 03:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargercali

i have almost completed my 73' chargers engine swap from a 318 to a 440 using the shumacher swap kit and am stuck on a few little things.

1. i pulled the 440 back in june and didn't think i needed the a/c components so i got rid of them. now i can't seem to line up or use my altenator. i was wondering how the alt. bracket was set up on a non-airconditioned car. any pix would be appretiated. is there a different water pump pulley?

2.how is the power steering set up on a 1966 440 engine. i think it is a federal pump? it has a weird bracket and i can't seem to get a belt to tighten with it. need pix.

3. how do i bypass or use a vapor canister? i had ran the 318 without it for a year and no problems except the gastank built up vacuum so i figure the 440 will have troble getting fuel. do i need the canister.

4. the shift linkage is not working like it should (won't fit and doesn't line up with the 727s gear selector) how hard is it to install a B&M floor shifter and will it solve my problems.

5. final question. i need a hood with alot of clearence and was wondering if anyone knew of a good company that was reliable and had good shipping on a fiberglass hood with either cowl or scoop. i heistate on purchasing from the company that has been discussed that chargers hundreds on shipping and the hood takes half a year to arrive. if i can't find a hood i will resort to clearencing my hood and adding a cowl.

my swap has gone fair and when i am completely done with this insanity i will post a complete walk thru of the swap and prices. any help will be great. thanks, tom.

original72

i cant help you with everything but i will give it a shot....

1.   you will need a different water pump pulley and a different alternator to make it look correct..... i had a AC on a small block once and was able to just bypass the AC compressor and run it from the crank to the alternator to get it running ..... it was VERY CLOSE but never had a problem with it.... but to be on the safe side the minimum is a different water pump pulley

2.  no clue on this one but my guess is to get the proper brackets and put them on the power steering pump from the small block so you have all the right fittings for the power steering gear.... again i am not sure but thats how i would try it....

3.  to prevent pressure from building in the gas tank you could always disconnect one of the vapor tubes from the gas tank (there should be four connected to it) and run a slightly longer tube pointing to the ground

4.  you most likely had a 904 trans in there with the small block and thats why the linkage doesnt line up... a floor shifter like a B&M will fix the problem easier then trying to fond the stock parts to convert....

5.  as for the hood i am in the same boat as you.... use a low profile air cleaner with a drop base... and you MIGHT clear and not need a hood scoop but thats a maybe....

hope i helped somewhat and good luck with the car

Bill

Chryco Psycho

2] the Federal pump usues the top hole on the water pump as the pivot , this is the hole that does go into the block , the lower bolt is the adjuster & goes through the water pump into the block
3] you can use a vented gas cap also
4] B&M or similar are not hard to install
5] Showcars is the only company I know of with a 3rd gen glass hood & no I cannot recommend them

andy74

im looking at a vfn fiberglass hood for mine,ive heard good things about them

Lunger

What kind of intake are you useing, i have a torquer 2 , before that was a tm-7. fit fine with a drop aircleaner.
BULL OF THE WOODS

andy74

welcome back lunger,good to see ya- i have a torquer intake that i plan to use

73chargercali

i found a new problem, seems that on 1966 imperials they had a bolt in yoke on the transmission and the drive shaft had a slip to allow the travel anyone else had this? would it be ok to just not bolt in the yoke and let it do the traveling?

my intakes i have are the stock 440 inake and carb and i have a torker 440 and holley street avenger, i built a custom air cleaner that fits the carb the way i wanted it to and i want to use it on this car so the huge aircleaner will take up allot of room.

i have pics but i need to resize them before posting