News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68-69 Dash Frames

Started by 69DodgeCharger, July 19, 2005, 05:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69DodgeCharger

The post on the lower pads got me thinking, are the dash frames interchangeable between 68 and 69's? Or, will there be an issue with the ashtray location. Also is there a "factory plug" for the location hole of the rear defrost switch on the 69 dash frames?
http://www.mypowerblock.com/profile/69DodgeCharger

The bugle sounds the charge begins. But on this battlefield no one wins.

PocketThunder

thats a good question.  in fact i have one of each tore apart on my basement floor right now.  when i get home tonight i'll take a look see.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

JimShine

The ashtrays are in the same spot. The difference between them is internal. I wonder if the assemblies are interchangeable? BTW, I saw a 1969 Super Bee this past weekend with a '68 style ashtray! The rest of the dash was '69 correct though!

The rear defrost on 1969 was next to the heater controls and is also the switch and placement of the '69 convertable tops. There is no delete plate. The metal is cut for the defroster switch cars and left alone for standard cars.

PocketThunder

Ya i just held them up to each other and they are pretty much the same.....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Troy

Check the hole for the ignition switch.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

rebby

Quote from: Troy on July 19, 2005, 11:39:26 PM

Troy

What is the difference between the 68 and 69 ignition switches? My 69 is a tad sloppy and I'd like to replace it but nobody makes a replacement???
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Troy

Quote from: rebby on July 20, 2005, 09:20:38 PM
Quote from: Troy on July 19, 2005, 11:39:26 PM

Troy

What is the difference between the 68 and 69 ignition switches? My 69 is a tad sloppy and I'd like to replace it but nobody makes a replacement???

68 switch is on the left - 69 on the right. No one makes repros but send me a PM and I can help.

Troy

purple70rt

They show a 69 one for $99.00, it's the first place I found that has them.lhttp://www.jacksautoparts.com/catalog/electrical.html

Troy

Quote from: purple70rt on July 26, 2005, 06:26:10 AM
They show a 69 one for $99.00, it's the first place I found that has them.lhttp://www.jacksautoparts.com/catalog/electrical.html

But do they actually have it in stock and ready to ship? :P

Troy

purple70rt

Sorry Troy, I don't need one so I don't know if they are in stock, just thought it may help someone.

Troy

Quote from: purple70rt on July 26, 2005, 03:57:58 PM
Sorry Troy, I don't need one so I don't know if they are in stock, just thought it may help someone.

I was just asking because the last time I was hunting one for somebody else there were places that listed a price but never had them. They are so scarce that most places won't even list them.

Troy

rebby

I need one but am not in any hurry which might hurt me in the end since I haven't been looking... $100 seems stiff though. Is there any way to just convert my dash to use a 68 style one?
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

69DodgeCharger

"I need one but am not in any hurry which might hurt me in the end since I haven't been looking... $100 seems stiff though. Is there any way to just convert my dash to use a 68 style one?"

Rebby,

That's what I was wondering too since I have a perfect dash harness and working ignition switch and set of door locks from a parted 68 charger. Could I just swap in those parts and be good to go? Anybody got an opinion on this?

Troy

Look at the picture above. The diameter of the '69 switch (and corresponding lock cylinder) is much larger. To make a '62-'68 switch fit you'll need to create an adapter. I've seen it done in the past but I don't have the information handy. I'd start making them but I haven't seen any demand yet. The '62-'68 switches are ~$15 and I've gotten lock cylinders for $7 so it's a much cheaper route to go if you can get it attached to the dash.

I think the thread has been completely hijacked now.

Troy

69DodgeCharger

Thanks for pointing that out Troy... I see what you are saying about the difference now....good thing I have a 68 dash frame also.... :yesnod:

MTPOCKET

Troy

Quote from: MTPOCKET on August 12, 2005, 12:08:21 AM
Rebby here is a link for a store on ebay that sells ignition switches.

http://stores.ebay.com/Thomas-Sestak-Collector-Car-Parts_Mopar_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

They have lock cylinders listed - no switches. Rebby found one already. :D

Troy

charge70

I believe that the fuse boxes are in different spots.69 is in the glove box,and 68 is attached to the bottom of the dash frame on the passengers side pointing down in the footwell area.