News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 73 is dying NEED HELP!!!

Started by 66charger73, December 30, 2005, 12:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

66charger73

Hey guys,

I have a 73 with a 2bbl 318 and I just put a new carb on and it was runnin great, then it just died and when I went to start it just clicking. My ammeter reads slightly discharge at all rpm's. The car is running off the battery but why? I measured 11.2V the original alternator and thought maybe after 33 years, it was tired so I put in a brand new one and no difference in voltage or peformance, and you can't do anyhting without charging the battery every time. By the way it's a brand new Diehard Gold with 900 CCA. What could it be?   ???

Any Advice or ideas appreciated.

Thanks

daves68

Sounds like the voltage regulator took a dump. Had it happen to my '74. More than once. In fact, I carried a spare because they are cheap and easy to install. Put one in a box in your trunk along with the extra ballast resistor you carry  :icon_smile:

Plumcrazy

Make sure the voltage regulator is grounded.
Check to make sure you have battery voltage in the dark blue wire at both the voltage regulator and   the alternator field wire when the key is on.

If you have battery voltage at both those places, check the green wire between the alternator field and the voltage regulator for continuity.
If it's okay you probably need a voltage regulator.

I don't have a 73 wiring diagram but I believe the wire colors are the same for many years.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.