News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiring Duel Field Alternators?

Started by HDCharger, December 31, 2005, 01:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDCharger

1.  The Electronic Voltage Regulator has a triangular plug, does it matter which terminal is used for which  + or - on the alternator ?  The center (top) has a blue wire and the side has a green wire. 

2.  Does the green wire go to the + or - on the alternator?  Blue? 

3.  Does it matter which side of the ballast gets which connection?

I found a couple diagrams on the web but not totally clear as to what goes where.  Once I get this straight I will do us a real good diagram to put in the archives.  Thanks Dave
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

HDCharger

Picture is worth a thousand words or so they say!
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

471_Magnum

There are only three wires on the alternator. Two fields and the main feed (+). The field terminals are interchangeable.

There is no polarity on a balast resister.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

HDCharger

Magnum what about the regulator are the poles interchangable and I do need to run that extra blue wire to the field on the alternator correct?  Thanks
MSG, US Army, Retired
1973 Charger SE
1976 Stepside Powerwagon
2007 Ram 1500 Laramie
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
1967 Dodge Truck

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Chryco Psycho

Blue ties into the 12 V feed from the ign switch & goes to either side at the alt  , green goes from the reg to the alt only & can be plugged into either terminal