News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird undercarriage

Started by swissmopar, January 06, 2011, 03:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swissmopar

Happy New Year to Everyone!

I am wondering if anybody can give any comment about the original undercarriage of the Superbirds. Did they left the factory just treated with a grey primer or did they had a tectyl coating. Was the tectyl coating a factory option - marked on the broadcast sheet? or just done by the dealers?
Any comment appreciated!!!
Karl

hemigeno

Depends on which area of the "undercarriage" you're talking about - and what your definition of "undercarriage" actually is.

There was actually a fair amount of undercoat (tectyl??) applied behind the rear wheels and in both front & rear wheelhouses.  If a car was special-ordered with J55 Undercoat, it would have received a whole lot more.

Most of the underbody/floorpans did leave the factory wearing the grey primer dip coating with only some areas receiving overspray based on the whims of the paint-gun-toting assembly plant worker.

A dealership could have coated a little or a lot of the exposed & concealed areas, depending on their normal practicies.  That's not something I would worry about or try to replicate (but that's just me).