News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting cars safely

Started by 694spdRT, January 19, 2011, 08:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

694spdRT

Is it not the general consensus that respirators are not good for filtering Isocynates that are in catalyzed paints and clears? I read this all over the Net but get the feeling most people still just use respirators when painting their cars themselves. I am hoping to get back in the swing of things now on my projects cars and that will involve painting to save costs. There are quite a few cars in the pipeline to do so I was looking at the Hobby Air or Breathe Cool fresh air setups as a possibility. We built a spray booth that does a good job of moving air but want to be safe.

What do most of you "home" resto guys end up doing when painting? I did several cars when I was younger just using a respirator because I didn't really know better at the time.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Silver R/T

Respirators are fine. It's the the neglect of maintenance of them and proper fitment.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Patronus

I agree with Silver RT, we use 3M brand respirators. Only use 'em for paint, keep stored in the supplied bag, and replace the filters every other car. Get the good ones I think they're around $45-50 ea.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

AdamMopar

I use a Hobby Air II for shooting almost everything, particularly for anything with isocyanates.  I'm not comfortable shooting with just a respirator; however, hobbyists that do and don't seem to have issues.

My recommendation would be to get a supplied air system for what it is worth.

694spdRT

Quote from: AdamMopar on January 19, 2011, 09:07:47 PM
I use a Hobby Air II for shooting almost everything, particularly for anything with isocyanates.  I'm not comfortable shooting with just a respirator; however, hobbyists that do and don't seem to have issues.

Did you get the full facemask? Some had said the extra hose gets in the way when painting. What length airhose did you buy?

Thanks
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Silver R/T

It's not comfortable to move around with big tank on your head around car, especially if you're faster painter. You have to constantly watch/drag 2 hoses around. Cartridges are cheap, replace them often.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Cooter

Respirator, and shoot mine outside...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

694spdRT

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 19, 2011, 09:16:24 PM
It's not comfortable to move around with big tank on your head around car, especially if you're faster painter. You have to constantly watch/drag 2 hoses around. Cartridges are cheap, replace them often.

What tank are you referring to? I read the Iso's go in through your skin and eyes also so the full mask and paint suit is best. I am not concerned with replacing cartridges often and would gladly use them if they filtered Iso's.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Chatt69chgr

I played around on the net some time ago looking at this and found that you could buy a full face mask for supplied air for around $500.  And the iso's are absorbed through the skin so you have to wear one of those throw away suits, gloves, and cover the neck.  The supplied air can come from your existing air system but, if so, you have to buy a filter/regulator that you attach to your belt that gets the suspended oil out of the air.  This assumes that the air to your big tank is clean air so to speak.  Or you can buy a dedicated compressor and long hose and locate it well away from where you are working to supply clean air.  I think they make these that are of the diaphram type so no belt filter is needed as there is no suspended oil.  I don't recall what these little compressors cost but none of the ones that Harbor Freight had would work.  Couldn't supply the volume of air needed.  If you surf around on the net you will sooner or later run across these offerings which I think are more for "home" setups.  I'm thinking that most professional places use the supplied shop air and the belt respirator setup I mentioned.  I do not think that any of the respirators will filter out iso's.  But I could be wrong.  I too have heard that the iso's are deadly. 

694spdRT

I just talked to the shop owner that painted the '69 and he also said the respirators won't filter Iso's. They use a SAS system in the shop. I am leaning toward the hobbyist Breathe Cool one with a regular full face mask and not the "hood" version. I could see the hood being difficult to see out of when painting. A little under $500 and worth the piece of mind for me.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

tan top

any  two pack  paint / lacquer /primer  or even etch  use a air fed mask  :yesnod:  3m double cartrage mask ok for small amounts of priming & etch as long as there is ventilation
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

AdamMopar

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 19, 2011, 09:14:47 PM
Quote from: AdamMopar on January 19, 2011, 09:07:47 PM
I use a Hobby Air II for shooting almost everything, particularly for anything with isocyanates.  I'm not comfortable shooting with just a respirator; however, hobbyists that do and don't seem to have issues.

Did you get the full facemask? Some had said the extra hose gets in the way when painting. What length airhose did you buy?

Thanks

I got the supplied air hood to go with mine.  As mentioned the isocyanates are absorbed through skin, eyes, etc., so to me the hood makes the most sense and I think would be more comfortable.  The hose then goes down your back instead of in front of you. It is a fairly large window so I don't have a lot of issues with visability.  It can be more difficult in a confied space though.

I have 120 feet of hose, 3 40 foot sections; however, I typically only use 80 feet.

As others said it is another hose to manage and you are already managing an air line.  For me I don't find it to be too big of issue.  The key is to lay your hoses out and plan your route.  You shouldn't have too many problems.

AKcharger

I use my old M-17 gas mask with new filters and just accept the dain bramage to save some $$$. I paint outside and only about once every 3 years so don't see a big issue

P.S. I can't remember anything before my 9th Birthday  :eek2:

694spdRT

Quote from: AKcharger on January 20, 2011, 07:27:56 PM
P.S. I can't remember anything before my 9th Birthday  :eek2:

What about after? Or would you rather just forget most of that.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

superbirdtom

if you do not have a real commercial paint booth please use a fresh air system. That is if your going to be doing a lot of painting. A friend of mine became sensitized to isocyanates so bad that he had to get out of painting. one day he woke up in the hospital. he had no idea of how or why he got there . it was because he walked by a body shop one day and that was enough for him to have a violent reaction, needless to say it was because he has developed a reaction so bad that he cannot be anywhere near that type of paint anymore and is on disability to this day, as he smashed his skull on the sidewalk.-- this stuff is nothing to fool with.

I have an allergic reaction to primer dust, so my days of doing this crap since 1974 are numbered.

FLG

How much are you going to be painting?

Granted these things arent good for you, but unless your doing it as a business i cant see doing it on your own rides a few times is gonna hurt.

694spdRT

Quote from: FLG on January 21, 2011, 01:31:10 AM
How much are you going to be painting?

Granted these things arent good for you, but unless your doing it as a business i cant see doing it on your own rides a few times is gonna hurt.

That depends I guess on time and money. I have 4 Mopars right now that need painting, a couple trucks that need redone, and all of my dad's project stuff that needs to be done. Guessing I could have at least 10 cars lined up to do right now but that will be over years of course. I just don't want to kill my lungs or nervous system to save a buck if respirators don't cut it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

jaak

Quote from: 694spdRT on January 21, 2011, 09:37:33 AM

That depends I guess on time and money. I have 4 Mopars right now that need painting, a couple trucks that need redone, and all of my dad's project stuff that needs to be done. Guessing I could have at least 10 cars lined up to do right now but that will be over years of course. I just don't want to kill my lungs or nervous system to save a buck if respirators don't cut it.

I painted my Charger a couple of months back (first car I painted in a long time, and I knew it would be a while if/when I painted another) just using a brand new respirator, and I would walk out of my "plastic booth" as quick as I finished a coat. I am fine.
With that being said, if your concerned about your health, and have no concerns about spending the $$$ for one, I'd go for it. I know some will think its not worth the money for just a once or twice use, but look at it this way if your painting it yourself, being a hobbiest and wanting to save money...you are still saving money because the price of paint, materials and fresh-air system is still gonna be a lot less than paying a pro, labor cost. Plus if you only use it a few times, and its slightly used...you won't have any trouble at all selling it on eBay, Craigslist, etc. and getting some of the $$$ back later.

Good luck,
Jason

Bobs69

What about getting an old SCUBA diving tank & full face mask.  That way you can have a couple of tanks that you pay the dive shop to fill for you with their good clean air.  Or maybe a volunteer firedepartment nearby?  I know that the fire department here at work fills their own and the system is inspected and certified.....by whoever.

I never new about iso's getting into you thru your skin and eyes etc.  What type of material is it you need to block them?

Silver R/T

Modern shops are not as concerned about this issue as they have nice down-draft spray booths and many shops are using water based paints anymore

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

suntech

QuoteI use my old M-17 gas mask with new filters and just accept the dain bramage to save some $$$. I paint outside and only about once every 3 years so don't see a big issue

P.S. I can't remember anything before my 9th Birthday 

HAHAHAHA !!

Anyways....totally agree! There is no need for a lot of fancy air fed expansive full face equippment to do a couple of cars a year......a couple of cars a week on the other hand......completely different story!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

moopa

I got so sick about 20 years ago painting just my second vehicle ( single stage acrylic enamel)with only a respirator...thought I was dying...It was a very windy day, blowing against my exhaust fan, so the garage was filled with fumes....it was horrible. Ended up with pneumonia and was sick for a while. Then when I started getting back into the hobby a few years back I swore I'd never put myself in that danger again. So when I was sandblasting in my Costco tent, the dust got so thick I needed a fresh air system  as the respirator couldn't handle the dense dust. I got the breathe cool system with a hood for sand blasting. Now it's a joy to be able to breathe while in the dusty environment. Then I was thinking about painting and using the same system,but didn't want to use the sandblasting hood, and was too cheap to order the full face mask from breath cool. I already owned a Survivair(Sperian) full-face respirator,that I was able to get a conversion kit to change it to supplied air. I adapted the Survivair mask to the breathe cool pump, and now I can paint with it, too and not worry about the deadly fumes. It's a pain to drag the hose around(but it's very light), it goes over the shoulder and down the back and attaches to a belt. I like it! The pump has enough power to run two masks, so if you have a helper, they can work safely, too. When sandblasting, the air is nice and cool,making the hot stuffy hood very comfortable.
1969 Charger 57,000 miles and growing. Survivor, non restored, original paint, F8 triple green, Matching numbers untouched( except added 4 bbl,dual exh) 383 2bbl, auto,buckets,buddy seat,summer driver. Also project cars: 71 Road runner-383/4 speed, Tor red, 72 Satellite, 68 Barracuda.

694spdRT

Quote from: moopa on January 23, 2011, 11:53:29 PM
I got so sick about 20 years ago painting just my second vehicle ( single stage acrylic enamel)with only a respirator...thought I was dying...It was a very windy day, blowing against my exhaust fan, so the garage was filled with fumes....it was horrible. Ended up with pneumonia and was sick for a while. Then when I started getting back into the hobby a few years back I swore I'd never put myself in that danger again. So when I was sandblasting in my Costco tent, the dust got so thick I needed a fresh air system  as the respirator couldn't handle the dense dust. I got the breathe cool system with a hood for sand blasting. Now it's a joy to be able to breathe while in the dusty environment. Then I was thinking about painting and using the same system,but didn't want to use the sandblasting hood, and was too cheap to order the full face mask from breath cool. I already owned a Survivair(Sperian) full-face respirator,that I was able to get a conversion kit to change it to supplied air. I adapted the Survivair mask to the breathe cool pump, and now I can paint with it, too and not worry about the deadly fumes. It's a pain to drag the hose around(but it's very light), it goes over the shoulder and down the back and attaches to a belt. I like it! The pump has enough power to run two masks, so if you have a helper, they can work safely, too. When sandblasting, the air is nice and cool,making the hot stuffy hood very comfortable.

Thanks for the post. Won't the hood work for painting as well?
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Bobs69

All you got to do is read what it says on the paint can.  "USE FORCED AIR blah blha blah"

moopa

Thanks for the post. Won't the hood work for painting as well?

It probably would, but it's a bit cumbersome with the hard hat,chinstrap set up and the ear muffs.The full face would offer a tighter seal to keep fumes out, the hood just keeps dust out with positive pressure. They also sell a full face mask kit similar to mine, but  i think the Survivair is a top notch respirator,  it has excellent vision, and is comfortable.
Mark
1969 Charger 57,000 miles and growing. Survivor, non restored, original paint, F8 triple green, Matching numbers untouched( except added 4 bbl,dual exh) 383 2bbl, auto,buckets,buddy seat,summer driver. Also project cars: 71 Road runner-383/4 speed, Tor red, 72 Satellite, 68 Barracuda.