News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NEED TRANNY HELP...

Started by Steve P., January 02, 2006, 12:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

Well I am stripping a 65' 4-door Coronet 440 for parts. It has much to give and I need many of them. One thing I have never dealt with is the old cable style tranny's.. I know someone who needs a park cable and thought I would be a nice guy and send it to him. Now that I have the tranny out of the car I have no clue as to how it comes out of the tranny!!  :-[  My memory doesn't serve me very well these days, but it seems that I remember something about pulling the valve body and a large messy job..  :eyes:

I don't have a book going back that far and a google didn't net me much, so any help will sure be appreciated..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Chryco Psycho

I haven`t done one either but there is no external release so you have to pull the pan for sure

John_Kunkel

The Park cable is held in the housing by a notched stud, locate the 7/16" nut on the rear side of the housing and loosen it. With the nut a few turns loose, tap the nut forward and the cable housing will be free.

To disconnect the inner cable, remove the pipe plug from the bottom of the housing (3/16" Allen wrench), some fluid will run out. With the pipe plug removed reach up with the blade of a common screwdriver and push on the end of a spring wire, this will release the inner cable and the cable and housing can then be withdrawn.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve P.

That's great news, John.. Thank you very much....

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   to put it into his tranny I take it he will have to pull it apart to get to the spring??

Also,, (while I have your ear), are these trannys worth anything?? I'm sure to someone restoring a car that needs one of these it is worth something, but how hard are they to find and what are they worth??
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Steve P. on January 02, 2006, 06:55:43 PM
That's great news, John.. Thank you very much....

Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   to put it into his tranny I take it he will have to pull it apart to get to the spring??

No, you just push the cable into the Park housing and the spring wire will latch onto the inner cable end. See the pic below.

The '65 transmission is worth more than other cable shifted 727's because it is the one only year to have the slip yoke tail. Even if the trans is a small block, the output shaft and  tailhousing can be fitted to any year cable shift 727.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Steve P.

Thanks John. You are Da' Man......  :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida