News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What RV cam for my 383 71 Power Wagon?

Started by Wango Mango, January 30, 2011, 03:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wango Mango

I installed the 70 383 mag from my Chally in my 71 W100 & its cammed to high for satisfactory towing.  Great freeway cruiser w/ the 3.55 Danas & the 35" x 16.5's but I need more low end torque & power for towing.  I know it won't ever tow my 24' enclosed the the ease my 02 Cummins did, but which hyd RV cam would give me better low end from say, 1K to 5K rpm & still pull hard when hitting passing gear on the freeway?  I had a bullet solid in my hemi & wasn't impressed but liked the Engle hyd AMC grind in my 451. Thanks in advance for any info.

red79

for that application I've heard good things about the lunati 60301, but i'd like to hear what some of this site's gurus have to say  :popcrn:

Wango Mango

Thanks for the kind words.  Orange Peel fills the void left when I sold my hemi chally & the lopey cam & Dynomax Super Turbos supply that "Mopar fix".  We lowered the floor 4" for legroom & installed 06 seats, am/fm 8track. Can't wait to be towing my bro's charger w/ it.

firefighter3931

Very cool truck Buzz !  :icon_smile_cool:

Sorry to hear that the Challenger is gone  :'(

What cam is in there now ? Any idea how much compression this 383 has ? Piston specs ? Auto or std trans ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Wango Mango

BGood to hear from you Ron.  Your new motor is awesome and glag your Charger is on the move.  IDont know what the build is in the 383,  but think its close to 1y0:1 & orjg heads, Weiand intake,  eddy 600 that replaced the holley 780 & small flowtech headers.  I'm building a twin turbo 451 for the 68.  Formula S,  would like to pick your brain on that cam selectiom, too.  BTW, the trans is a built 727.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Wango Mango on January 30, 2011, 07:38:30 PM
BGood to hear from you Ron.  Your new motor is awesome and glag your Charger is on the move.  IDont know what the build is in the 383,  but think its close to 1y0:1 & orjg heads, Weiand intake,  eddy 600 that replaced the holley 780 & small flowtech headers.  I'm building a twin turbo 451 for the 68.  Formula S,  would like to pick your brain on that cam selectiom, too.  BTW, the trans is a built 727.

Thanks Buzz....the Charger is a work in progress.  :icon_smile_big:

Twin Turbo huh...that'll scream !  :devil:

On the 383 ; assuming the compression is in the 9:1 range (which it will probably be) you'll want to keep the duration short to maximize cylinder pressure and low end grunt. Those tall tires are knocking a lot of axle ratio out of the final drive ratio. Honestly, it really needs a set of 4.10's with a 35in tire.  :yesnod:

I'm going to assume the tires and axle ratio aren't going to change so you need to cam accordingly  :icon_smile_big:

Something like an Engle k54/k56 on a 110* lsa installed at 106 icl should work great  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Wango Mango

Thanks Ron & I was thinking of changing the Danas to 3.91's. 8 The smaller cam & lower gears should help my mileage & pass smog with ease, too.  Ill give Engle a call tomorrow.  Are you planning on going toMATS in April?

Steve P.

Hey Buzz. Are you really going to tow with this truck?? I personally would not tow with any tires that size due to the very light sidewalls. Keeping control of a trailer with tires that size will be a job. It surely will NOT be anything like towing with your heavy diesel truck. This is really something you should consider before making big changes to your new baby.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Wango Mango

Hi Steve & good to hear from you.  I considered the sidewall flex may be an issue, but sold the 17" rims I had w/ the 02 Ram.  I didn't want to buy new rims as of yet, so gotta go with what I have until things get better.  I  know towing w/ a short wheelbase isn't the best either, but hope this will work until I can get another Cummins.  Hope all is well w/ you.