News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird values

Started by boss429kiwi, February 14, 2011, 08:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

They are simply all over the place.

Is Nada Appraisals correct for Superbirds? $90K for a 6 pac, 4 speed, "driver"? $67K for the same car in 440, auto?
Most are autos, 440, bench seats and still asking $120K +++++

What are your thoughts.

I am in the markets for a driver/older resto and simply do not want to pay above current market rates.

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

hemi68charger

When it comes to the unique cars of our hobby, you can through the NADA out the window as far as I'm concerned. Getting a Wing-car just as you want it is next to impossible, unless you're Mr. Trump or Mr. Leno...... Sometimes you have pay a little extra just to get it, if it's something you really really want........ The "market" on these puppies are dictated by what's happening at the moment, all of which includes, but not limited to; Barrett-Jacksons, Mecum, ebay, or any other regular internet for-sale site.

Good luck on your sure. The Superbirds are definitely more affordable nowadays...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Topher

Ther's one for sale in New Zealand. Or t least i as. Lookin the for sale section on this site. Yes, prices are dictated by what's happening right now-now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

hemi68charger

Quote from: Topher on February 14, 2011, 09:40:30 PM
Ther's one for sale in New Zealand. Or t least i as. Lookin the for sale section on this site. Yes, prices are dictated by what's happening right now-now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNIwlRClHsQ

:rofl:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

boss429kiwi

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 14, 2011, 09:08:13 PM
When it comes to the unique cars of our hobby, you can through the NADA out the window as far as I'm concerned. Getting a Wing-car just as you want it is next to impossible, unless you're Mr. Trump or Mr. Leno...... Sometimes you have pay a little extra just to get it, if it's something you really really want........ The "market" on these puppies are dictated by what's happening at the moment, all of which includes, but not limited to; Barrett-Jacksons, Mecum, ebay, or any other regular internet for-sale site.

Good luck on your sure. The Superbirds are definitely more affordable nowadays...

A blue Superbird, 4 speed, fully restored sold for $95700 - commision @ BJ. http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/archivecarlist.aspx
Then we get "drivers", bench seat, autos etc asking $120K +

This does not make sense to me except for the fact that the $120K cars are not selling.

If there are any genuine Superbirds for sale out there, please email me gary.mcneill@otago.ac.nz

Aero426

The blue Bird at B-J was a non numbers engine, and a bench car.    It was also in the tent collapse at Russo Steele last year and suffered some damage.   This is not to say it isn't a good car.    The Tor-Red Bird at B-J (4bbl, buckets, stick) went for a very strong number that will be hard to duplicate on the outside market.   

WINGIN IT

I can empathize for sure.
Been looking for years to get into a Superbird, and prices were and have been all over the place.
When I felt the same frustration and tried to get WIW and opinions on prices , I was told basically, you have to pay to play.  
My interpretation is that those Superbird owners that paid high prices, still want to sell at high prices.
Since they are generally higher on the Mopar food chain , those owners typically can hold them until they get their price, or not sell at all.

Regarding prices themselves, that BJ B4 4bbl bench bird, was for sale about 2 years back for $110,000 ( a Spring Special, if I am not mistaken  :: )   . Then sold to the collector in GA who brought it to Russo, got damaged, then sold at BJ as stated.  Does anyone know if it actually sold or was a buyback?

Another similarly optioned bird ( B5 4bbl bench non-matching engine)  was available in my area, owner wouldn't take anything under 100K.
It had bid numerous times between $75K -$85K . This was last year.
That bird also had a repro tag, and no buildsheet, whereas the BJ bird had originals of both.

WINGIN IT

There was also an FJ5 440+6 4spd console bird that sold for $98K a few months ago.
It had a fiberglass nose, quarters replaced, non-matching motor. Had a nice resto.
I think he started his price at $125K.  Probably needed the money and/or wanted to move on to other projects.

There was a nice number's matching bucket 4 spd 4bbl B5 blue bird last year for sale ,part of a collection. Owner wants $125K.  No trades, no deal on price. 

Similar to that dealership that has all those automatic birds, well over $100K, no deal on price.

In general, I would say you are not going to see asking prices under $100K , but depending on how motivated the seller is, and obviously what the condition of the car is , and what level of car you want to purchase, you may get lucky. 
I would prepare to spend at least $100K and hope for the best.
Good luck with your search.

hotrod98

Just like anything else, there are numerous factors that affect the price of a collectible automobile. Restored or original, body quality, matching numbers, desirable equipment or color and location (U.S. or foreign).
The biggest factor, in my opinion, is the fact that as time goes by there are less birds due to attrition (fires, accidents, etc.) and more people desiring them.
Some people that place a car on the market will place a high price on it and if it sells, it sells. They may not really need to sell it, but would if the money was there. Some people flip cars and hope to get rich. Some sell them because they're either tired of the car or they're ready for something different, possibly an upgrade to a hemi car, etc. And, some need the money due to financial struggles.
No matter what the reason, I think as, or if the economy gets better, the glut of cars currently for sale will dry up considerably.
I know mine won't be for sale any time soon. I enjoy it way too much to let it go. I've had more fun driving this bird than any car I've ever owned.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Aero426

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 15, 2011, 12:57:45 PM

Regarding prices themselves, that BJ B4 4bbl bench bird, was for sale about 2 years back for $110,000 ( a Spring Special, if I am not mistaken  :: )   . Then sold to the collector in GA who brought it to Russo, got damaged, then sold at BJ as stated.  Does anyone know if it actually sold or was a buyback?

I heard both B-J Birds were brought by the same consignor and SOLD.    My gut feeling is that both cars were the ones involved in the tent collapse at R/S in 2010   B-J description on the Tor-Red car U170860 says "restored in 2010", and it is identically equipped to the Russo car.    Someone really wanted it to pay 176k with fees figured in.  

WINGIN IT

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Aero426 on February 15, 2011, 01:20:05 PM
 Someone really wanted it to pay 176k with fees figured in.  

Yeah, I'll say...

Case in point to Hotrod's reply, this green "Survivor" bird on E-bay now.
Car bought from E-bay last year or so for $167K then shows up a few months later for an asking price of $475K .
Now it his asking price has slowly been falling. Last I saw down to about $175K I think.
Would I love to own the car, AB-SO-LU-TELY !  I love the retro look .
Would I pay $175K, ( or afford it, LOL)  , no...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Plymouth-Superbird-LAST-ONE-MADE-Numbers-Match-/250773970498?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a634b1e42

Arnie Cunningham

Greetings,

NADA is not a good indicator for Superbirds for a number of reasons. 

Superbirds are old - the condition of cars before and after restoration can be VERY different.  A 4 year old car has had only one tenth the exposure to time as a 40 year old car.  Cars age differently due to care and lack thereof.  A Hemi 4 speed can be worth less than a column auto wedge if the Hemi car is virtually destroyed and the column auto is a very low mileage survivor.

Superbirds are rare - there are not that many sales to use as a reference.  If you are looking at a 69 Camaro, 100 of them have probably changed hands in the past week.

Superbirds are weird - there is a special type of obsession that overtakes a person when they are bitten by the winged car bug.  That means some will pay much more for a car than someone else would pay for their house.

Superbirds are surrounded by misinformation - these cars are still unknown to the majority of non-car people today despite their high profile.  In high school, most everyone thought I built mine in my garage.  If you are interested in owning a Superbird, don't use price as your starting point for your search.  Start by deciding exactly what car you want to own.  What color do you want?  What engine do you want?  What transmission do you want?  Is original powertrain or original sheetmetal important to you?  Am I going to drive the car or just show it?

Think about these questions until you have a clear view of exactly what you want and then start looking for your car.  The price is going to be high no matter what you choose - you may as well get what you want even if it costs an extra 20,000 more than some other car you didn't really want anyway.

Brennan R. Cook
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

WINGIN IT

Good points Mr. Cook.
I can relate to each of them.

Personally I am at the "know what I want stage", and just keep looking for THE one...

Although that 4bbl FYI auto that Aero posted doesn't look too bad... :icon_smile_big:  :lol:

WB General Lee

Very well put. Color, motor, transmission, and condition all contribute to the price. Fot instance, a Petty Blue 4sd matching #s 440+6 car is going to be worth alot more than say a alpine white non-matching 440 4bbl car for just an example.

FJ5WING

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 15, 2011, 02:27:14 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on February 15, 2011, 01:16:15 PM
Here's a driver grade Bird needing some TLC at $70k.

http://theautoexpress.nongms.com/cars/1970/Plymouth/Roadrunner/Hardtop/10791346.html
''

Not too bad for $70K, NOM motor, but still .

anyone looking to "get in" to a wing car should have already snatched this one up...I know I sitting down to cypher some numbers and see what I can do.
wingless now, but still around.

WB General Lee

A wing car is a better investment than real estate and the market these days. If you need the money I understand but other than that the only other reason would be lack of interest or maybe a forced sale due to divorce etc.

boss429kiwi

Quote from: FJ5WING on February 16, 2011, 09:16:39 AM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 15, 2011, 02:27:14 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on February 15, 2011, 01:16:15 PM
Here's a driver grade Bird needing some TLC at $70k.

http://theautoexpress.nongms.com/cars/1970/Plymouth/Roadrunner/Hardtop/10791346.html
''

Not too bad for $70K, NOM motor, but still .

anyone looking to "get in" to a wing car should have already snatched this one up...I know I sitting down to cypher some numbers and see what I can do.

Any other colour and this car would be on its way to New Zealand!

WINGIN IT

"Any other colour and this car would be on its way to New Zealand!"

I hear ya.  I have had soo many yellow Mopars I swore I would never get another.
That and this one is  3000 miles away.. :-\

Did you look into that one that Topher posted from New Zealand?
That one looked nice.

So how's that number crunchin' goin' FJ5WING  :icon_smile_big:

boss429kiwi

Quote from: WINGIN IT on February 16, 2011, 04:39:50 PM

I hear ya.  I have had soo many yellow Mopars I swore I would never get another.

That one looked nice.

Hi

Yes, I am aware of this car and is a great consideration to me.
I have not seen it in person and will hopefully make contact with owner (Garry) once I finallise a few things (next weekend).
The big problem to me is that there is another Tor-Red Superbird only 60 miles from me  ::)
But I like the fact that it is a 6 pac and 4 speed etc.

I like the Vitamin C car on "Cars on Line" also.

But once again I cannot action anything until late next week. Until then I am a "tyre kicker".

Gary

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on February 15, 2011, 09:51:34 AM
The blue Bird at B-J was a non numbers engine, and a bench car.    It was also in the tent collapse at Russo Steele last year and suffered some damage.   This is not to say it isn't a good car.    The Tor-Red Bird at B-J (4bbl, buckets, stick) went for a very strong number that will be hard to duplicate on the outside market.   

I looked at both of those cars for a buddy and the quality was about the same between them.....ok at best. I think a number in the 90-110 range was a fair price for either.

FJ5WING

Still going at it  :brickwall:....I wont dive into the 401K but man do I want to. :D
wingless now, but still around.

62 Max

Quote from: boss429kiwi on February 16, 2011, 06:20:02 PM

That one looked nice.

Hi

I have not seen it in person and will hopefully make contact with owner (Garry) once I finallise a few things (next weekend).
The big problem to me is that there is another Tor-Red Superbird only 60 miles from me  ::)

But once again I cannot action anything until late next week. Until then I am a "tyre kicker".

Gary

Make me an offer! :icon_smile_big:

boss429kiwi

Quote from: 62 Max on February 17, 2011, 03:12:04 PM
Quote from: boss429kiwi on February 16, 2011, 06:20:02 PM

That one looked nice.

Hi

Gary

Make me an offer! :icon_smile_big:

Hi

Is this the car from "Cars on line?"
Please email me gary.mcneill@otago.ac.nz
But no offers just yet, I will wait until late next week. I want to make sure I have the cash in hand first.
But until then I would like to here the history, options condition etc.

Thanks
Gary