News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone Using Vinyl Wraps?

Started by 68X426, February 14, 2011, 10:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

Vehicle vinyl wraps - using them on your car, boat, bus, trailer? Opinions? Did you install it, or a shop? What material?

I included pics of the wraps on Mr. Angry's Charger from last years' veterans charity event. Loved the look and the statement he made (visual as well as putting his words into action :cheers:)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TK73

Man that looks good!!

Goin' with latex wrap for mine... it keeps running up the a$$ of Prius's

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

1BAD68

I brought this up a couple months ago but I completely forgot about Mr. Angry's Charger.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,76374.msg857750.html#msg857750
I found some sources for the vinyl and did a bunch of research. It wouldn't be extremely difficult to install yourself just tedious.
Looks like they ran the seems across the sail panel and thats exactly how I pictured doing it.

68X426

Quote from: 1BAD68 on February 14, 2011, 11:58:58 PM
I found some sources for the vinyl and did a bunch of research.

So, opinions? Ideas? Going with the flat black? What source - the one posted in the first thread?  :popcrn:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

1BAD68

Really depends on what you would want it for.
If you want a temporary (2-3 years) finish on your car then I think this is a great alternative to paint.
Especially if you have a nice paint job already. You can get gloss or flat colors, chrome, stainless, carbon fiber, camouflage and even have it printed like Mr. Angry did.
The only cost effective way is to install it yourself because shops charge quite a bit for installation but it doesn't look like rocket science.
You can see plenty of video's on youtube showing how its installed.
My Charger has been flat black for a few years now so I would go with something different like maybe brushed steel.

This is the chrome  :eek2:

mikesbbody

I quite like that Chrome look  :lol: be intersting to see a Charger like that after all, it can come off.

moparjohn

I haven't researched it yet, but that is one option I'm considering for the wood paneling on my 69 Town & Country when it's time.  My biggest concern is durability, it needs to last 20 years and look good.  I have also seen a T&C will the wood airbrushed on, it was fantastic!  but it was as shiney as the paint, I'm thinking I would want it with less gloss if possible. MPJ
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

72Rallye440

Ok guys, this is something I can help with. I work in this industry and work for one of the largest vinyl supply companies in the country and willing to help any way I can.

I'll try to answer some of the questions already posted. Full vehicle wraps are done with a 2 mil think printable vinyl then over laminated with a 2 mil clear laminate (similar to a rolled form of clear coat on a car). In the case with Mr. Angry car, that wrap would have started out as white material then printed with a large format printer then laminated.

In the case of the cars you're seeing now days in solid matte black, chrome, matte white, etc, that material is manufactured as a solid color (no ink) and comes out of the box with the laminate already on the material.

Both of the materials above are essentially installed the same way. However, this is not something just anyone can do and I would consider it a learned trade. Even if you could successfully do it there is a strong likelihood that you will miss cut, damage, etc some of the pieces.......this would be a very expensive mistake.   

Here are a few pictures of the latest wraps on my 06 Magnum. The sole purpose of this wrap is to generate interest in the vehicle wraps and is the second wrap I've had on the same car.

With this Magnum being factory painted the wrap comes off with some heat and the paint is perfect under the wrap.
However, the material will stick to the car very well and can pull paint off on cars with repaired panels or repainted cars. A modern paint job with well cured clear coat shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this helps a little, please just let me know if you have any questions.

Dewey

72Rallye440

Here is my first wrap from a few years ago:

68X426

Thank you for the info and your input. Problem is that I am no where near Ohio or I'd pay you a visit. :cheers:

Is the material you use 3m Scotchprint, or something else?

And can I assume you are Feller certified and have your own business? :2thumbs:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

72Rallye440

Quote from: 68X426 on February 24, 2011, 12:26:18 AM
Thank you for the info and your input. Problem is that I am no where near Ohio or I'd pay you a visit. :cheers:

Is the material you use 3m Scotchprint, or something else?

And can I assume you are Feller certified and have your own business? :2thumbs:

The material that was used for these wraps was 3M IJ180C-10. The 3M Scotchprint name is usually associated with 3M's computer cut colored vinyl.

I'm actually a sales manager for Fellers and manage a group of sales reps from Ohio up to Maine. I don't own a sign company or do wraps on a day to day basis. Fellers Certified is a network of "Fellers approved" vehicle wrap providers that actually do wraps. Fellers is a media provider only and my wrap is to draw attention to the network of wrap shops.

Let me know if you want me to put you in contact with one of those shops.

Dewey 

68X426

Quote from: 72Rallye440 on February 24, 2011, 06:38:46 AM
my wrap is to draw attention to the network of wrap shops.

It worked! You drew my attention! Thank you Dewey :cheers:

I just used the Fellers.com site and easily found installers in my area. Excellent site.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow