News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overwhelmed!

Started by Bobs69, February 21, 2011, 05:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

I'll come here when I have overwhelmed myself with thoughts of restoring the car.

Why does Edelbrock make a set of heads with angled spark plugs?  Is there an advantage to this?  I was thinking I wanted to get new headers and have them coated with whatever that stuff is with the tank in the magazine advertisements to keep the heat out of the engine compartment and hopefully protect my wiring, then get new wiring once I'm satisfied.

Blakcharger440

Quote from: Bobs69 on February 21, 2011, 05:14:06 AM
I'll come here when I have overwhelmed myself with thoughts of restoring the car.

Why does Edelbrock make a set of heads with angled spark plugs?  Is there an advantage to this?  I was thinking I wanted to get new headers and have them coated with whatever that stuff is with the tank in the magazine advertisements to keep the heat out of the engine compartment and hopefully protect my wiring, then get new wiring once I'm satisfied.

I believe they angle the spark plug in order to make the spark be in a better location for combusion across the piston top or in the head chamber. 

I have a new set of Eddy heads that I have not used yet so I wonder what kind of clearance they will have when it comes to certain header designs or even factory magnum exhaust manifolds. There was an article on this very thing but I cant remember where I read it.

bill440rt

I have a set of Eddy heads on my 440 with the angled plugs & TTI headers. Changing plugs is a breeze.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on February 21, 2011, 07:47:49 AM
I have a set of Eddy heads on my 440 with the angled plugs & TTI headers. Changing plugs is a breeze.

Yeah it's pretty easy with the right TTI headers and all... much easier than the old straight plug jobs - at least they are to me.    The angle plug is a result of a lot of R&D... and also it can share tooling with other angle plug SBC heads....  cause I don't know if anybody but me ever noticed it but aside from missing water passages for the intake manifold...   a big block mopar head looks a helluva lot like a SBC head - just slightly bigger.

If somebody really wants Edelbrock straight plug heads you have to buy the Mopar Performance "452" casting version.    Usually a few hundred $ more than the regular Eddies.    I got a pair off ebay for a "reasonable" amount that I'm going to use on Sinnamon. 

Or use the other brands of made in china stuff.   Your choice.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bobs69

I read on a thread here about the TTI headers with the angled heads.  What got me on this is, I've been wanting to do something to keep the heat in my headers to protect the wiring.  So I can get new wiring and not wreck it. 

Then I learn about these angled heads, so what header do I buy to get ceramic coated?  Do I get new aluminum heads because there is a chance later down the road I'd want to have them, so getting them now will save me from buying another set of headers.  The thread in here suggested that rebuilding cast heads and having them hogged out isn't worth the money and that you'd be better off buying new.  At the same time, the new ones don't come ported :brickwall:whats that all about?  And some of the parts may need to be upgraded before you even start? :flame:

red79

the best fitting headers (and pretty much the only option for angled plug heads) are made by TTI. If you buy a set of them, you can use them on any head (iron or aluminum), and keep them if you ever swap heads.

stock edelbrock heads flow in the same ballpark as ported iron heads. there are also plenty of places you can buy pre-ported eddys from, if you've got the cash to burn

Bobs69

Quote from: red79 on February 21, 2011, 06:34:21 PM
the best fitting headers (and pretty much the only option for angled plug heads) are made by TTI. If you buy a set of them, you can use them on any head (iron or aluminum), and keep them if you ever swap heads.

stock edelbrock heads flow in the same ballpark as ported iron heads. there are also plenty of places you can buy pre-ported eddys from, if you've got the cash to burn

So TTI headers are the way to go?  I can use them with angled Edelbrock heads or the dirty old iron ones?

redmist

I just put a set of DOUGS coated headers on my E head 440 and they fit perfect!   :2thumbs:

Save your cash on the TTI's and go Dougs.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

Bobs69

I'll look into both of them.  If the angled ones yield better performance why would you want the straight ones?  For the stock look or is it price?

Bigun426

Edelbrock might have used Chrysler's cast heads with angle plugs used way back in the day on industrial equipment for R&D

Bobs69

I've been having problems with my charging system.  I have a new GM alternator that was a spare for an old 95 Beretta I had.  I have decided I want to put it in the 69.  I bolts right in.  I have a  V belt pulley on it now.  I have the plug with 3 wires on the end of it that plugs into the alternator.  What do I do with the wires on the other end of the plug?

RECHRGD

I use the Mopar aluminum 452's with the straight plugs and Hooker Competition headers.  I doubt you'll notice any difference in performance between the angled or straight plugs.  Regardless of the heads you use, I would go to TTI headers as they do not "capture" the starter.  I think most others do and it's a major pain.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Bobs69

Quote from: RECHRGD on March 12, 2011, 03:16:58 PM
I use the Mopar aluminum 452's with the straight plugs and Hooker Competition headers.  I doubt you'll notice any difference in performance between the angled or straight plugs.  Regardless of the heads you use, I would go to TTI headers as they do not "capture" the starter.  I think most others do and it's a major pain.  Bob

How is access to the mounting studs & nuts.  I was told to get a pair, puts them on and take a torch(I don't have one) and hammer and peen them untill you had a clear view of the nuts and could get a wrench on them nicely.   Then take them off and get them coated in whatever that new stuff is to keep the heat in.  And look sexy.  You have hookers, (haha) is TTI a branch of Hooker or is it something all it's own?

Okay about that alternator.................

randy73

Quote from: Bobs69 on March 12, 2011, 01:32:19 PM
I've been having problems with my charging system.  I have a new GM alternator that was a spare for an old 95 Beretta I had.  I have decided I want to put it in the 69.  I bolts right in.  I have a  V belt pulley on it now.  I have the plug with 3 wires on the end of it that plugs into the alternator.  What do I do with the wires on the other end of the plug?

WHY??

GM used a totally diiferent charging system, you will basically have to use a GM voltage regulator and rewire for the GM which is Batt, Gnd and Fld, your Chry is Batt, Fld, Fld or do you have a HD w/ Batt, Gnd, Fld?

I am talking about the type of wiring going to the Alt.

Cooter

OR, he could simply get a GM one wire and be done with the Chrysler "Discharge at idle blues"......
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Bobs69

It's internally regulated.  And yeah, the only reason I'm using it is because I have it here, it's new, and this POS Charger is giving me too much grief, I don't know were to start.  So I thought if it wasn't too hard I'd put the gm Alternator in it.  It's off a 1995 3100 V6.  The plug has 3 wires coming from it.  Orange grey and brown.

Bobs69

Kern Dog

Quote from: bill440rt on February 21, 2011, 07:47:49 AM

Says who !!?? Is this engine in a Charger with power steering?
Mine is a pisser. #s 1 and 3 are tough to reach with the steering box RIGHT there. 5 and 7 are easy though. 2 and 4 have to be done from underneath the car since #2 pipe is too close to the body. Aluminum heads without steel spark plug threads are dicey. You need to be careful to NOT crossthread the plugs. Its nearly impossible to read the plugs after a 1/4 mile run.

Bobs69

ha there is another thing.  Aluminum head need to have metal sleeves in them for spark plugs your telling me?  What do you mean the plugs are nearly impossible to read after the 1/4.  Something about the aluminum.

FLG

Quote from: Cooter on March 13, 2011, 10:01:42 AM
OR, he could simply get a GM one wire and be done with the Chrysler "Discharge at idle blues"......

:yesnod:

GM alt all the way  :2thumbs:

Not to mention there available just about anywhere if yours decides to crap out

Bobs69

Alright guys I'm going to have to buy headers for sure.  I've just re-read my previous posts and I made my own head spin.

The starter on my 440 charger, with power steering is about to crap out.  It's getting weaker.  So I'm going to get the DB mini starter, and if memory serves I have to take the header off to get the large original type starter off.  so I'll do the headers now.  And ceramic coat them.  Also what do I use to protect the new starter from heat.

In the future I may get edelbrock heads.  I don't know if I'll goto the straight or angled plugs so I want headers that will work with both.

Someone posted here that TTI doesn't "capture" the headers like others.  So I'm assuming that means I wouldn't have to take the headers off to change the starter???

Bobs69

Another thing.  Somone near me that I somtimes get parts from told me to buy "flow tech" headers that were already ceramic coated, heat up the two pipes that interfere with mounting and peen them in.  $300.

Is there a reason why I've never heard of this brand?  He told me about these because he is considering price.  I want to say that I won't cheap out I want results and something I'll be happy with.

Thanks guys.

Bobs69

Just ordered my DB high torque mine starter.  $75.95 including the shipping.  Not too bad at all!  And man those southern Americans are polite!

Troy

Quote from: Bobs69 on June 29, 2011, 12:52:08 PM
Another thing.  Somone near me that I somtimes get parts from told me to buy "flow tech" headers that were already ceramic coated, heat up the two pipes that interfere with mounting and peen them in.  $300.

Is there a reason why I've never heard of this brand?  He told me about these because he is considering price.  I want to say that I won't cheap out I want results and something I'll be happy with.

Thanks guys.
So, you're willing to spend $300 on something you know you have to bash in to make fit? I have heard decent reviews on Flow-Tech headers for Fords - but almost everything I read about them for Mopars says they either don't fit at all or require "adjustment" (ie "big hammer").

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Brock Samson

A ten inch square of heat shield material like dyno-matt helps to shield the ministarter which is a couple inches smaller than the stock starter, one of the best improvments to my charger was the mini Starter and the TTIs. while your at it do the X pipe and go with the Turbo Maxs. That's the hot tip. Good luck...