News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cam install question

Started by 1968_Charger, February 21, 2011, 10:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1968_Charger

I'm looking into swapping out my cam. i have a feeling that my current cam may be degreed wrong or its just too big, I'm also concerned that the timing chain may be stretched. my question is, in the walkthoughs that i've read it says to make sure the dots on the timing gears line up at tdc before removal. what if they dont line up correctly? do i just make sure my crank gear is straight up and when i put the cam gear back in make sure it lines up then? never done a cam install before so any help would be appreciated.

Cooter

Most of the time if the cam WAS degreed, the crank gear will have THRE (3) possible keyways and will be lined up with either "Dot to dot" which is TDC, or "Straight up"..Otherwise, it will be "Retard X amount of degrees, or Advanced X amount, usually around 2-3 degrees.

If you pull it down and find that the "dots" don't line up, STOP, TAKE A PIC, and let us see where they actually ARE..Then, we can tell you whats what...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1968_Charger

ok, sounds good. i wont be doing this until probably april or so. just wanted to get some answers before i start ordering stuff.