News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'70 Charger rear upper door pads?

Started by viper r/t, February 28, 2011, 07:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper r/t

My car is an original XH model, which I know, means that my car doesn't get upper door pads, yet interior colored metal correct? What I don't understand is where the rear upper pads would be located. There is no metal there to paint. Do I need the metal frame/backing from the upper door pads or what? lol  :icon_smile_blackeye:

BIGBLCK11

My car is also a 70 XH.  There is no metal backing or plate, just the actual door.  Maybe you have some different type of door panel that covers it, unlike the factory one or you already have a pad?  I have attached a pic of mine.  The space between the red lines is painted black to match my interior, it is the metal part of the door.  If you have a pad, it covers this area for the upper.  I am not sure if factory color is that of the exterior or an interior color for this model.

Removed pic, since I totally missed the "rear" in the title and body. D'Oh!

viper r/t

Yea, I've figured that out.
The area that has me confused is where the rear upper door pads would go.
The area in this pic. that I took from ebay, that is painted orange.

Mine doesn't have that metal there.

I don't know if what I'm trying to explain is making sense over the computer.
So is that metal piece back there just a normal upper door pad with the fabric taken off, therefore making the metal shown in the picture just the backing/metal frame of an upper door pad?

But thanks for the picture  :coolgleamA:

BIGBLCK11

Ok, I see what you mean.  Here is a pic from the service manual.  There is an upper panel you need for the rear.  I believe the pad would be additional to this. I am sure someone who has installed the pads will chime in.

HOTROD

My 68 has like skeleton sheet metal back and 1 1/2 in between the glass,  and my door upper has 4 small holes and 2 big ones no pics.
What the Hell-Dumass !

doctor4766

There is a steel unpadded panel that replaces the pad on these cars as far as I know.
I've seen them for sale on ebay in the past.
Gotta love a '69

b5blue

Yes that's correct. All that orange should be interior color. (Black in that case, even the lower part of the door) The padded rear seat uppers require a plate made to adapt that body section to the pads that "clip on" to it. The steel type screw into the interior body and need no adapter plate. Watch eBay they come up for sale now and then.  :2thumbs:

Old Moparz

The unpadded steel panel may even be the same part that all the other B-Body cars have, with exception to the coupes with the flip out, rear, windows. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a pair of the unpadded panels out of a '70 Sport Satellite, & they appear to be the same size & shape as the padded Charger pads.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

viper r/t

Quote from: Old Moparz on March 03, 2011, 05:44:50 PM
The unpadded steel panel may even be the same part that all the other B-Body cars have, with exception to the coupes with the flip out, rear, windows. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a pair of the unpadded panels out of a '70 Sport Satellite, & they appear to be the same size & shape as the padded Charger pads.

Anybody know for sure that these will work in a Charger?
If they would fit I would deff. be interested in them if you would decide to sell them...

Old Moparz

Quote from: viper r/t on March 04, 2011, 06:10:16 PM
Quote from: Old Moparz on March 03, 2011, 05:44:50 PM

Anybody know for sure that these will work in a Charger?
If they would fit I would deff. be interested in them if you would decide to sell them...

Maybe someone can cross reference a part number?  :shruggy:

I can't promise you anything, but if I can find some time I can put them on my Charger to see if they fit. My car currently has no interior in it, so that part is easy, but I would have to locate the panels which might be a bigger problem.  :lol:

I think they are a fairly common part & usually in decent shape since they are inside & not effected by temperature issues. I'll have to see & will let you know.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus