News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

DIY Stock Looking Subframe Connectors

Started by Domino, March 14, 2011, 07:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

With US car&tool over $200 with shipping, I decided to make my own Mopar looking subframe connectors.
Having a local shop bend 2 "U" shaped frame sections for $48.  
Plan is to apply "skyline" templates to the sides (see picture), internal box braces, stock sized holes along the bottom, and cut outs for lines and cables.

Will post updates along the way...

Transferring floor pan to cardboard template using modified square and a long straight edge:

Hemidog

matrout76

that is EXACTLY what i plan to do, right up to the modified combination square!!!

Because of the depth and the width of the channel, the piece will have to be "W" bent and then flattened unless the shop has some gooseneck press-brake dies that will work. 

My only concern is that i will make these pieces that will fit perfectly to the floor, weld them on, and then they will be holding the car in an arch.  My car is currently on the rotisserie, so i was going to put it on its side to minimize flexing...any thoughts here?

I'm also planning on making my own torque boxes and hope to start that project this week.

Matt

Domino

Quote from: matrout76 on March 14, 2011, 09:38:15 AM
Because of the depth and the width of the channel, the piece will have to be "W" bent and then flattened unless the shop has some gooseneck press-brake dies that will work. 

My only concern is that i will make these pieces that will fit perfectly to the floor, weld them on, and then they will be holding the car in an arch.  My car is currently on the rotisserie, so i was going to put it on its side to minimize flexing...any thoughts here?

Right, I had them bend one side the full 90 and partially bend the other.  More to come on finishing that bend.

As far as prestress arc... IMO, you want to arc the car up, like an empty flatbed trailer.  So put the car upside down and LEVEL to tack them working in stages together.
Upside down will make the undercarriage short and the roof long.  Locking in the connectors while the undercarriage is short will give them tensile preload to resist sagging once you flip the car right side up.

pipeliner

Wont that make your door gaps tight at the bottom?

Domino

Quote from: pipeliner on March 15, 2011, 04:03:31 PM
Wont that make your door gaps tight at the bottom?

I doubt it with a bare unibody, it's pretty damn stiff static with no extra weight. 

Cooter

That's what i'm talkin' bout Domino...you just saved me $200.00 plus shipping..And I was wondering how long it was gonna take me to trial and error the side panels to get it right....That's a good idea.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

dangina

Domino

Here's a few pics with the progress on these subframe connectors.  They fit much better than I expected after transferring from cardboard templates.

I found it was easiest to play connect the dots with the square.  Just transferring key points and then finishing up the profile by hand with a ruler.
I installed internal braces, and factory sized holes along the bottom, as well as factory-like weld flaps to join to the Xmember.
Also, pass throughs for the brake line and E-Brake Cable.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NorwayCharger

Nice, maybe you can sell cardboard templates :scratchchin:
AKA the drummer boy
http://www.pink-division.com

HPP

Quote from: Domino on March 14, 2011, 10:10:16 AM
As far as prestress arc... IMO, you want to arc the car up, like an empty flatbed trailer.  So put the car upside down and LEVEL to tack them working in stages together.
Upside down will make the undercarriage short and the roof long.  Locking in the connectors while the undercarriage is short will give them tensile preload to resist sagging once you flip the car right side up.

Curious why you would want to do it this way. The largest, heaviest components in the car are the engine/front suspension and rear axle/suspension. Since these are already at the ends of the car, arching the middle up does nothing to support them. When you solidify the subframe structure via frame supports, sagging no longer is an issue.

If your car is all apart, you want to make sure it is all square, plumb, and level with no pre-load on it anywhere. This is why race cars are built on a surface plate instead of in the air. Adding preload creates wedge which can alter suspension performace from one side to the other.

If you car is together, support it on the suspension points while in the air to maintain panel alignment. Will this lock in some mis-aligned uni-body issues, potentially yes. But if your car is already together, driving, aligned, and set up with them, it won't make a big difference in performance and you likely will never notice.

Domino

Well, I'm philosophically opposed to overhead welding on a rotiss'd car  :lol: :lol:
So, skipping additional technical analysis, I'll just stick by my original opinion :nana:  :icon_smile_big:

AirborneSilva

This is a great idea, thank you for sharing it  :2thumbs:

matrout76

What thickness (gauge) material did you end up using?

it also looks like you are planning on making some torque boxes...what are your thoughts for those?

Looks great!

Domino

Quote from: matrout76 on April 14, 2011, 09:17:34 AM
What thickness (gauge) material did you end up using?

it also looks like you are planning on making some torque boxes...what are your thoughts for those?

Looks great!

On the subframes, I'm using cold rolled 16 ga. ~0.060" which is thinner than the UStool ones, this is why I added the box beam braces like chrysler did.

For the torque boxes: IMO 1/8" is too thick, looking at ~0.090"-0.095" CR.

RallyeMike

By the time you factor in cutting tools, gas, and everything else though, I'm not sure it's worth the savings, but it sure is fun to do it yourself! Nice job.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AirborneSilva

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 14, 2011, 10:40:17 PM
By the time you factor in cutting tools, gas, and everything else though, I'm not sure it's worth the savings, but it sure is fun to do it yourself! Nice job.

Who makes subframe connectors that follow the floor pan contour, for the third gen?

matrout76

Quote from: Domino on April 14, 2011, 10:14:42 AM

14 gauge is 0.075" and 12 gauge is 0.105" and both are commonly available...i'd go 12 gauge.

dkn1997

I'm not sure about that.  I had US cartool subs put in my charger and while they fit well, you still have to a lot of trial fitting, cut here, grind there.... If I had the skills, I'd like the "fun" factor of doing it myself
RECHRGED

HPP

Quote from: AirborneSilva on April 15, 2011, 05:04:11 AM

Who makes subframe connectors that follow the floor pan contour, for the third gen?

No one.

If you are a regular fabriacator, you likely have all of these around already. Then its just time to satisfaction vs availability ratio to consider.

Domino

Quote from: matrout76 on April 15, 2011, 07:59:01 AM
Quote from: Domino on April 14, 2011, 10:14:42 AM

14 gauge is 0.075" and 12 gauge is 0.105" and both are commonly available...i'd go 12 gauge.

The latest 12 ga I measured was ~0.093", but that's also been cold rolled. 
It seems sheet steel is rated at gauge as mild steel and then rolled a bit thinner.

Domino

Some tips/observations regarding the subframes:
It's kinda tricky to set the templates correctly on both opposite sides of the "U", I found the notch for the pan "lip" a handy reference point.
Don't cut the cardboard along the straight line cause the template gets flimsy, just cut out a few square holes to align it to the bottom of the "U".
Ace hardware metal jigsaw blades are much much better than the red "do it best" brand blades.  Night and day.

I ended up finding some 12 gauge that measured in at 0.105" (for the torque boxes).

Domino

Pic of the rear box and subframe welded in.  Working on the front boxes next...