News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woodgrain steering wheel

Started by richRTSE, March 23, 2011, 09:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richRTSE

Is there a difference between 70 and 68/9 woodgrain steering wheels? The reason I ask is I've seen some listed for 68/69, others for 70, and now B/E&A has repro ones listed for 68-70. I've got a 70 column with a woodgrain wheel on it, will it fit my 69?

Thanks, Rich

Just 6T9 CHGR

The difference is the color of the wheel.   The 68-69 was a darker brown & the '70 was lighter.
The wheels will interchange between all years but the main difference is the horn cap assy.  68-69 used a tapered horn ring to fit into the column per say, where as the '70 used a larger wider ring due to the column being a larger diameter due to the ign switch being moved into  the column....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

richRTSE

Thanks Chris. Now I just need to decide whether I want to send mine out to be restored or just a new one from B/E&A.

I know there are a couple guys that restore them, but has anyone on here bought one of the new repro ones? Are you happy with it? Is the color darker like a 68/9 or lighter like a 70?

BananaDan

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,78649.msg888089.html#msg888089

I just got this one from Mike Tarkington (http://www.steeringwheelsbymike.com).  It is a BEA repro wheel for a 1970 modified by him to look accurate.  he redoes the woodgrain finish and brushes the chrome spokes.  He also restores originals so he can cover you on either side.  This wheel is for my 1970 Charger R/T.

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Brock Lee

Didn't they drill holes into the 3 spokes on the wheel in 1970 to attach the new, larger horn button?

resq302

I thought that was the case also but the holes are covered up still if you have a 69 application.  But I could be wrong.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BananaDan

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 24, 2011, 10:07:57 PM
Didn't they drill holes into the 3 spokes on the wheel in 1970 to attach the new, larger horn button?
Yes, from what I have learned from Mike, the 70 wheels also had a hole drilled near the center section in each spoke for the black plastic trim ring to attach.  He does that as well as a part of his services, and did that on my BEA repro wheel I just forgot to mention it.  I think this is 70 only, 68-69's don't require that black ring and drilled holes because their column is not as wide/fat as a 70 since the ignition switch is not on the column in 68-69.

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Ghoste

I didn't know someone was redoing the spokes of the repro wheels to get the correct brushed look.  That's good news. :2thumbs:

resq302

Hate to say it but upon closer observation of the spokes, it looks like it was just glass beaded lightly and not a brushed appearance.  Yes it is more of a satin sheen now but there are not the radiating lines like the originals had.  Maybe it is the monitor I am using also. :shruggy:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BananaDan

Maybe, but it's better than the chrome spokes the repro's come with so I'm happy.

Dan

resq302

And if you are happy with it, that is all that matters!   :yesnod: :cheers:
Brian

Ghoste

And that's true.  It does leave me disappointed again though, I thought there was a way to get those things looking correct and now I'm all depressed again. :'(

richRTSE

Well I decided to send my old wheel off to Mike Tarkington in Texas. He said it would take about 3-4 weeks. I'll post some picts when I get it back. I'm a bit disappointed the new wheels don't look close to stock. Dan, I think your wheel looks great now.

Here's a picture of the 3 holes used on the 70-style. They do get cover by the horn, so it can be used on 68/9s.

Nassau1969

The 70 wheel is different the column circumference is wider than 68 69.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Nassau1969 on May 02, 2011, 10:08:49 PM
The 70 wheel is different the column circumference is wider than 68 69.
you stolen my words...

remember guys, 70s Mopars have the ign switch on colum, requiring a bigger diameter housing
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

plumbeeper

Go back and read the first reply. The steering wheels are the same size, it's the horn cap retainer that is different on the 70 to fit the larger diameter steering column.

Dave
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

richRTSE

Sorry it took so long to post picts, but I've been pretty busy, not much time for car stuff... :brickwall: anyway, I got my wheel back from Mike Tarkington in Texas. I am very happy with it, and it was done in less than 3 weeks. I was happy with the original appearance on my spokes, and they didn't need to be refinished. I'd definately send Mike another wheel.  :2thumbs: I had a '70 wheel that I'm using in a '69, so I needed the 69 horn adapter, which I also got from Mike...now I just need to get rid of that monster tach... :eek2:

richRTSE

and for reference, here is a comparison of the 69 vs 70 horn adapter...you can see the 70 (bottom one) is wider at the base. Both are the same height. You can also see the holes in the 70 wheel are NOT visible with the 69 adapter in place...

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looks great Rich....I too am running a '70 wheel in my '69....it was a "Drivers Ed Simulator" wheel so it still retains all of its original woodgrain....as close to NOS as you can get!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

Quote from: richRTSE on June 14, 2011, 08:26:34 AM
I am very happy with it, and it was done in less than 3 weeks.

Then thats all that matters

nascarxx29

The 70 wheel I got out in my shed is different in color and has different horn ring and plastic adapter to fill the column.Then the ones you find on 69 and down
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

y3chargerrt

I'm pretty sure that wheel has been on Ebay a LONG time!