News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum radiator designs--whats better?

Started by oldcarnut, March 29, 2011, 01:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Contemplating getting an aluminum radiator but have seen several different designs as far as the tubes are done. Some have 3 or more tubes built like the originals and others have about 2 bigger size tubes with claims that it cools like a 5 core would. Then there are those with side to side flow, top to bottom, and others with bigger tubes that have baffles that flow the water side to side but with multiple passes like an S pattern. Is one style any better than the other for cooling? How about anyone with experiences of the different types say how it worked for them. Since I'm going to be using it in a SBird clone that already is known for cooling issues because of the nosecones and planning on adding A/C in a hot southern climate, I'd like to hear about the real use verses mfg. claims design advantages. I didn't see a topic in design comparisons in a search, mostly about the fit of one brand ex. Champion or Summit in individual cars.

2Gunz

I think the best one is the one you can get to fit in your car.

I used to have overheating in traffic.

I then bought an aluminum radiator on ebay for like $130.

My overheat problem is gone, not even a hint that I ever had one.

So my opinion is.....

Get the one about the same dimensions and style of the original and call it a day.

I've always gone with the highest row count I could get, 3 - 4 row. Of course I would only get one that fit using the stock mounting.

Also cross flow radiators do a better job at cooling then down flow radiators.

Budnicks

Quote from: oldcarnut on March 29, 2011, 01:21:15 AM
Contemplating getting an aluminum radiator but have seen several different designs as far as the tubes are done. Some have 3 or more tubes built like the originals and others have about 2 bigger size tubes with claims that it cools like a 5 core would. Then there are those with side to side flow, top to bottom, and others with bigger tubes that have baffles that flow the water side to side but with multiple passes like an S pattern. Is one style any better than the other for cooling? How about anyone with experiences of the different types say how it worked for them. Since I'm going to be using it in a SBird clone that already is known for cooling issues because of the nosecones and planning on adding A/C in a hot southern climate, I'd like to hear about the real use verses mfg. claims design advantages. I didn't see a topic in design comparisons in a search, mostly about the fit of one brand ex. Champion or Summit in individual cars.
The larger the tube the less rows you will need to flow the same amount of fluid. I have purchased a couple from Mancini Racing I don't know who makes them but I have had good luck with the 22" & the 26" down flow 3 & 4 row/core radiators both had the proper mounting tabs, & auto Trans cooler on bottom, for a Charger & a RR. I allways use a additive like the Royal Purple's "Purple Ice" & Be-Cool antifreeze seems to have a higher boil point than the std. stuff. I don't realy like there shrouds, but I just made 1 for electric fans anyway.  The higher the pressure cap you can use will help, for every pound over 14lbs I think it is, allows a 10degree hotter temperture to be run per lb of pressure  so if water is boiling at 212 with a 14 lb cap, 18lb cap it would stand 252 before boil over, then add the coolant & additive they will drop a ton more.   Budnicks
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

oldcarnut

hmmm wonder whats the difference between 69 and 70  :scratchchin:?

A383Wing

I bought 2 radiators from this seller --> http://stores.ebay.com/id=379846745&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SST

I am very happy with the fit and construction of these....

both I bought have 2 rows of 1" core tubes....put one in the Daytona, and one in the 66 Charger....solved all my overheating issues.

Purple68

Quote from: A383Wing on April 17, 2011, 09:44:54 PM
I bought 2 radiators from this seller --> http://stores.ebay.com/id=379846745&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SST

I am very happy with the fit and construction of these....

both I bought have 2 rows of 1" core tubes....put one in the Daytona, and one in the 66 Charger....solved all my overheating issues.

I got mine from them as well. They are supposed to have a better transmission cooler and according to their write-up the 2-row should cool better than a lot of 3-rows. It works great at cooling my 493.

oldcarnut

Thanks guys for the info  :cheers:.  I don't see one listed for the 70RR but I'll ask him about it.

RIDELIKEHELL

AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Hudson Hornet !

Guys, I can say that I am on my 3rd radiator for my 68, and I believe I have finally found one. My first was from e-bay, and when it arrived it looked like a 6 year old welded it and it was warped right from the get go! ( $ 180 radiator).

Radiator #2 Came from a very well known company and was a crossflow design that was supposed to fit the car. Wrong!! It didn't even come close.

Radiator #3 Was from Wizard Cooling.  Excellent fit and finish, the welds look like perfection, and it fits great!

I would not hesitate to recommend a radiator from Wizard. It blew the competition away from my standpoint!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

Purple68

Quote from: Hudson Hornet ! on April 27, 2011, 01:04:08 PM
Guys, I can say that I am on my 3rd radiator for my 68, and I believe I have finally found one. My first was from e-bay, and when it arrived it looked like a 6 year old welded it and it was warped right from the get go! ( $ 180 radiator).

Radiator #2 Came from a very well known company and was a crossflow design that was supposed to fit the car. Wrong!! It didn't even come close.

Radiator #3 Was from Wizard Cooling.  Excellent fit and finish, the welds look like perfection, and it fits great!

I would not hesitate to recommend a radiator from Wizard. It blew the competition away from my standpoint!

Of course, I don't know for a fact, but the Wizard, Champion, ECP, and others appear very similar(on the outside at least) and maybe come from the same Chinese supplier?

RIDELIKEHELL

Good to hear I am making a wise choice HUDSON HORNET....Scott at WIZARD ensured me that I would be more than satisfied with their product and said he would send close up pictures of their product. I believe they do all their own fabrication/construction on site not offshore crap :2thumbs:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Hudson Hornet !

I was told the same thing. It took them around a week and a half from the time I ordered it to the time it was delivered.  Beautiful product and MADE IN THE USA!!
You've never heard of a Hudson hornet ? !

elacruze

I've never used an aluminum radiator other than stock, so I don't have any direct experience on a Charger to point to, but here's some theory to consider.
The most important aspects of heat exchangers are;
Frontal Area
Surface Area
Tube Volume
Flow Rate (which is more a function of pump than rad. design)

I've rarely met an engine that couldn't have a street-speed cooling problem tuned out of it. Most overheat issues are symptoms of insufficient airflow, insufficient ignition timing, or poor water pump circulation. My .509-cammed 11:1 440 would stand still idling all day long and never get over the thermostat. I couldn't stay in the throttle long enough to get it hot elsewhere, either.

The message here is to do your research before you buy; if you have an overheat-at-idle problem now, a new radiator won't likely solve it without some other change to airflow or coolant flow. Your engine may only be making 15-30 horsepower at idle, even a tiny radiator can disippate that.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: 2Gunz on March 30, 2011, 05:40:27 AM

So my opinion is.....

Get the one about the same dimensions and style of the original and call it a day.

What one did you buy specifically? Do you have a link?

Budnicks

Quote from: MaximRecoil on May 22, 2011, 10:24:44 PM
Quote from: 2Gunz on March 30, 2011, 05:40:27 AM

So my opinion is.....

What one did you buy specifically? Do you have a link?
Look in Summit Racing they have , BeCool, Fluidyne, Flex-A-Lite, Griffin, Howe & there own house brand, probably others. Of course all the stuff for any Mopar is more money that the other makes.... Also Mancini Racing sells some quality Aluminum rads also, I have used 1 of their 22" down flow w/stock style auto trans cooler built in, they bolt right in, I've been using 1 for going on 6 years now no problems at all. Good luck.     Budnicks
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

dodgedarren

Does anyone build a stock appearing aluminum 22" 3 row radiator???

bill440rt

I have a Griffin 26" 2-row aluminum rad in my '69. It is a downflow rad, & looks very close to a stock rad except it's aluminum. Even has the ribs in the top & bottom tanks like an original. If you painted it black, it would look like a stock replacement to the casual observer.
It also has the fittings for the trans cooler lines in the factory location, and you could bolt up a factory fan shroud to it if you wanted to.

Cooling performance is awesome. The car never gets higher than 180 degrees, and that's with an electric fan only.
I am VERY pleased with the look, fit, finish, & performance of the Griffin. It's a little pricier than some of the others, but it was worth it.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce