News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger vinyl roof replacement questions

Started by sean68charger, January 05, 2006, 02:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean68charger

just a couple of questions i hope you guys can answer,-
where is the best place to get a replacement vinyl roof for my charger in black?,
what is the quality like on them?
and what is the best glue to stick it down?
thanks
sean
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

8WHEELER

I can't say who has the 'best' but my black top was put on 5yrs ago, and still looks great, and
I bought it from YO. I had to buy my Pearl White for my 68 from Legendary because YO does
not carry them, and I found out that the top from Legendary was less expensive that YO with
the 20% discount.........
Sorry can't help you on the glue.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

694spdRT

I bought my black one from Legendary Auto. I had it put on at an upholstery shop....I think the 3M spray can adhesive was used by a member on Moparts that did his own.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Drop Top

I have put on many tops in the past for my customers. As stated above. Legendary to buy and 3M for the glue. If you have any more ? feel free to ask.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

sharpspike

Mopar Crazy

Would you suggest putting the top on before or after the car is painted?????
Do it Once and Do it Right !!!

Troy

Quote from: Mopar Crazy on January 26, 2006, 09:37:07 PM
Would you suggest putting the top on before or after the car is painted?????
After.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

694spdRT

Also, if you have the front and rear glass out it would be best to install the top prior to putting the glass back in. It can be done either way though if they are not coming out.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mopar Crazy

Yes, the front and rear glass is still out of the car... I'll have the top put on before theglass goes back in.
Thanks for the tip....
RE before or after paint, I thought before painting would be better so the glue doesn't get on the paint, and no one has to lean over the doors or 1/4's.

Drop Top

I always install the top after its painted. The glue is easier to remove then overspray on the top. In fact the top is one of the very last things I out on during a restoration. The factory also did it this way. Make sure you install the headliner before your glass also.

Mopar Crazy

What would the benefit be to putting the headliner in before the glass????  It so happens I need a new headliner installed.
The tips are great.....
Thanks for the help..
Pete

Drop Top

Makes it easier to reach in a work with the headliner without the glass in the car. The teeth that hold the headliner is right next to the front and rear glass. Have a look and you'll see where I'm comeing from. You can do it with the glass in. Its just easier with it out. Just be sure to trim any excess headliner before putting in the glass. You don't want to put the glass over the material of the headliner.

Mopar Crazy