News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 General Lee?

Started by bluegrasscharger, April 02, 2011, 07:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluegrasscharger

Anyone know who owns this 1970 General Lee?  I really like the way they painted the front bumper.  This is a great looking General.

HOTROD

Y  Y Y Y Y Y :slap: DO PEOPLE DO THIS !! :brickwall:
What the Hell-Dumass !

bluegrasscharger

I think it looks awesome and so do a lot of other people.  Not everyone agrees on what looks good.  If someone wants to paint their car pink with black polka dots it doesn't bother me.  I might not like it but as long as they are happy with it, more power to them. 

Brock Samson

it was raked over the coals before, there are other threads on it. I like it myself,  :2thumbs: stands out from all the other ones i can't tell apart.  :shruggy: Looks better then a '68 to my way of thinkin'.. 

nvrbdn

if your gona do a GL from a 70, that is the way to do it
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bluegrasscharger

Brock I agree with you about the 68 thing.  I have seen several 68 Generals and they just don't look right to me (as a General Lee that is).  The grill and especially the tail lights take away the over look.  I have seen several 70 Generals but this is the only one I've seen with a painted bumper.  I think painting the bumper on this 70 General really sets it off.  The more I look at this one the more I like it.  Almost as much as a 1969 General.  I would like to find some more pictures of it.

bluegrasscharger

Quote from: nvrbdn on April 02, 2011, 08:19:13 PM

I think so too.  Best 70 General I've seen.  I am seriously considering painting my bumper on my 70.  It's already orange with Vector rims.  I may get magnetic General Lee decals so I don't have drive it all the time in as a General Lee.

BananaDan

I don't like the bumper painted, that's what sets the 70's apart.  Understood that taste is to each their own, so in my opinion, I think it looks like an abortion gone wrong. :eek2:

However, GL or not, I love Vector wheels.   :2thumbs:

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Kern Dog

I was lucky to be able to go to the Mopar nationals in Ohio in 2004.... The year of the Charger. I counted 224 Chargers at the show. There may have been more than that when the drag race cars were added in. They had plenty of GL cars. I saw 2 or 3 70 GL cars, ONE had painted bumpers like this one. GREAT looking car, almost to the point of looking cleaner and better than the original 69 model.

bluegrasscharger

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on April 02, 2011, 10:17:32 PM
I was lucky to be able to go to the Mopar nationals in Ohio in 2004.... The year of the Charger. I counted 224 Chargers at the show. There may have been more than that when the drag race cars were added in. They had plenty of GL cars. I saw 2 or 3 70 GL cars, ONE had painted bumpers like this one. GREAT looking car, almost to the point of looking cleaner and better than the original 69 model.

My thoughts exactly.  I am not usually a big fan of the painted front bumper on the 70 models but for some reason this one just look right as a General.  Like you said "cleaner" look.  I wonder if the one you saw was this one?

pipeliner

Quote from: BananaDan on April 02, 2011, 10:12:35 PM
I don't like the bumper painted, that's what sets the 70's apart.  Understood that taste is to each their own, so in my opinion, I think it looks like an abortion gone wrong. :eek2:

However, GL or not, I love Vector wheels.   :2thumbs:

Dan
I agree with ya.I like GLs but I think the painted bumper looks like shit.

A383Wing

Quote from: bluegrasscharger on April 02, 2011, 08:44:45 PM
Quote from: nvrbdn on April 02, 2011, 08:19:13 PM

I think so too.  Best 70 General I've seen.  I am seriously considering painting my bumper on my 70.  It's already orange with Vector rims.  I may get magnetic General Lee decals so I don't have drive it all the time in as a General Lee.

my :Twocents:, it's better than the 68 or 69's to me...

jaak

There was a member here with a '70 GL w/painted bumper....may be the same car.

Jason

G-man

looks very weird with the painted bumper. :Twocents:

Kern Dog

It seems like the painted bumper look is as controversial as the Big rims on classic Mopars! ANY time I see a post on Moparts about big rims, a few dedicated old school guys have to chime in about 15 inch rims being the onlt correct choice to make.
Maybe its the anonymity of the internet or just that some guys were never taught good manners. There are many ways to express your opinion that DO NOT include insulting a mans choices.
The paint sucks on your car ( I dont like the paint so much)
318? What are you, a HOMO? ( Oh, I see you stayed with the original motor)
18 inch rims? Whats next? Gold teeth, Fubu clothes and a baby momma? (Hmmm, I think these cars look best with the original wheels)

Vainglory, Esq.

Why would you do that to a '70?  Why??!!??

MoparManJim

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on April 03, 2011, 02:43:23 AM
Why would you do that to a '70?  Why??!!??

I could ask the same thing about why does people take chargers and chop the heck out of them to make them into drag cars  :shruggy:

It doesn't look too bad, sort of like an updated General Lee.

However, In my opinion it just isn't right unless it's correct to the show.  :Twocents:

Lennard

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on April 03, 2011, 02:43:23 AM
Why would you do that to a '70?  Why??!!??

Because it is his '70 and he likes it that way.

chargermike

the big chrome bumper is what makes the 70 look so cool. love the 70 the best. hate the general lee. worst and uglyest chargers ever built. and for a 70. no way. but to each there own. and never understood the push guard. its a car not a 4x4. would rather see a dirty mary crazy larry 70 charger. but i agree everybody has there own flavor of what is cool.

JT01

I love the General Lee but not like this if your going to make one do it right and use a 69 or convert it to a 69 they dont look right any other way

ACUDANUT

70 Chargers rule. GL or not...Makes me think of this jet nose...

Ghoste

I thought all of you GL fans were all about having fun and doing with your car as you please and the world needing to lighten up and let you bask in the simple joy of DOH?

There is a difference in a 69 Charger General Lee and a General Lee minivan..... 69 appearance like on the show or nothing.... If your gonna change it turn it into something else......  :Twocents:

JT01

Quote from: 440 on April 03, 2011, 09:16:38 AM
There is a difference in a 69 Charger General Lee and a General Lee minivan..... 69 appearance like on the show or nothing.... If your gonna change it turn it into something else......  :Twocents:
EXACTLY