News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Learned a very good lesson about Daytona's today

Started by Ghoste, April 12, 2011, 08:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Never ever reach up under the wing to close the deck lid by pulling it down from the rear edge like an ordinary car.  It really hurts when you slam your fingers between the deck lid and the wing.  (I'll bet that isn't in any factory literature)

panhead

69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

Amazzen

You need to get some lousy trunk hinge springs so the lid doesn't open that far!   :scratchchin:

That's gotta hurt and I hope its not too serious... thanks for the heads up though!

hemi68charger

That I've never had happen, guess I'm too careful for I know the clearance isn't there. BUT, what I have done on numerous occasions is upon gathering whatever out of the trunk, when I straighten up, SMACK!!! the ole' back of the head hits the underside of the wing...

It isn't forgiving..  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

One the bright side here is a positive about a Daytona. You will not hit your head on the hood latch while at the front of the car working on the engine. The nose cone keeps you far enough away.  :cheers:

A383Wing

I pinched my hand only once while closing the trunk lid on mine....now I always grab the trunk latch hook with one finger to close

Wingnut426

Not the same, but I used to put a display of pictures and articles in the trunk of my Daytona at car shows and cruises. One day we heard this loud thud behind my car, a tall guy went to look at them and smacked his head on the wing!  He was dizzy and had to sit down for a while.  He said I put the stuff in there on purpose and he was going to sue me!  Never did hear anything about it again.  Pete
HEMI Daytona Convertible

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on April 12, 2011, 09:37:49 PM
...He said I put the stuff in there on purpose and he was going to sue me!  Never did hear anything about it again.  Pete

You've got to me kidding me !!!!   :smilielol:

Yeah,, Pete,,, the booby-trap Mopar-owner..........

Wait,,,,, I've been that guy on my own car..........  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

hotrod98

I've banged my head on the wing of the bird several times. The worst thing that I did was when I put the wing on the 69 runner and left the keys in the trunk lid when I opened it. Its a good thing they moved the key latch to the tail panel on the 70 models. Theres no clearance for keys.
The wing is off of the 69 now so no hate mail please.  ;D

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

SRT-68

pettybird

Quote from: Ghoste on April 12, 2011, 08:16:13 PM
Never ever reach up under the wing to close the deck lid by pulling it down from the rear edge like an ordinary car.  It really hurts when you slam your fingers between the deck lid and the wing.  (I'll bet that isn't in any factory literature)

time to buy a Superbird.  Stuff like that got fixed.   :lol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: pettybird on April 12, 2011, 11:34:58 PM
Never ever reach up under the wing to close the deck lid by pulling it down from the rear edge like an ordinary car.  It really hurts when you slam your fingers between the deck lid and the wing.  (I'll bet that isn't in any factory literature)

time to buy a Superbird.  Stuff like that got fixed.   :lol:

yeah yeah yeah... Spring-loaded hood assist, easy-removal wind deflectors, road-grime-resistant upper front fenders (no holes), better cooling fan, more clearance between trunk and wing, yada yada yada.....

Real men (& women) drive Daytonas...    :icon_smile_cool:

:stirthepot:
Troy

Wingnut426

Sorry Troy, but real men and women drive Daytonas any other color than orange AND have a Superbird too!
HEMI Daytona Convertible

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on April 13, 2011, 08:37:13 AM
Sorry Troy, but real men and women drive Daytonas any other color than orange AND have a Superbird too!

Alright,, rub it in...  And they drive Hemi's as well ?................... But, look....... Gotcha participating................ Even at my expensive..............................  Now I REALLY have to sell my car to get that other one..........  :nana:
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: A383Wing on April 12, 2011, 09:09:45 PM
I pinched my hand only once while closing the trunk lid on mine....now I always grab the trunk latch hook with one finger to close
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

What about bumping your head on the daytona trunk lid that doesnt stay up long enough.While your struggling to get out the spare :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: nascarxx29 on April 13, 2011, 11:49:57 AM
What about bumping your head on the daytona trunk lid that doesnt stay up long enough.While your struggling to get out the spare :Twocents:

the only way to get out the spare is to send in a small child!

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

moparstuart

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on April 13, 2011, 12:28:06 PM
Quote from: nascarxx29 on April 13, 2011, 11:49:57 AM

the only way to get out the spare is to send in a small child!

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:  I can do that

FJ5WING

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 13, 2011, 06:24:03 AM
Never ever reach up under the wing to close the deck lid by pulling it down from the rear edge like an ordinary car.  It really hurts when you slam your fingers between the deck lid and the wing.  (I'll bet that isn't in any factory literature)

yeah yeah yeah... Spring-loaded hood assist, easy-removal wind deflectors, road-grime-resistant upper front fenders (no holes), better cooling fan, more clearance between trunk and wing, yada yada yada.....

take it easy Troy....But Ill remind you Bird owners also got better wheel choices, a better choice for power and a better interior( you want padding and plush, get a C body)....and of course if youre going with a wing car why not go with some high impact paint. I will give you the top is a bummer though.
wingless now, but still around.

Dave Kanofsky

One other lesson that applies to all wing cars -

When attempting to push start one, be sure to duck when the driver pops the clutch - I had a Mercury owner helping me at Talladega in '99 who didn't realize to do this and had a thin horizontal bruise across his forehead.  I still feel bad about that.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemi68charger

Troy

pettybird

Quote from: FJ5WING on April 13, 2011, 03:57:33 PM

take it easy Troy....But Ill remind you Bird owners also got better wheel choices, a better choice for power and a better interior( you want padding and plush, get a C body)....and of course if youre going with a wing car why not go with some high impact paint. I will give you the top is a bummer though.

One less panel to wax!

AND the #1, undisputed reason birds beat 'tonas... 

"Beep!  Beep!"

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 13, 2011, 06:22:42 PM

One less panel to wax!

"Beep!  Beep!"
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

hemi68charger

One less panel to wax!

"Beep!  Beep!"

No   matter how hard I try, my Daytona will never go "beep! beep!"......   of course, I could get Doug's................
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 14, 2011, 10:51:39 AM

One less panel to wax!

"Beep!  Beep!"

No   matter how hard I try, my Daytona will never go "beep! beep!"......   of course, I could get Doug's................
just a horn and one plug   :icon_smile_big: