News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 Charger trunk wiring

Started by 67tbird, April 16, 2011, 02:27:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

67tbird

I cant find licence plate light wire or passenger side, side marker light wire, should wire run under drivers side sill plate, under back seat, and along side gas tank(two metal wire clips) down between trunk and rear valance and around bumper area. should trunk light be mounted by filler neck(not on deck lid like 73's? thanks Dave

NHCharger

Yes, all the wiring for the trunk runs down the drivers side, under the back seat and into the trunk. In the trunk there is a connector where the wiring harnesses snap together. All the wiring is in the trunk, not underneath by the tank.
The trunk light is mounted in the trunk lid. I'm heading down to thrash on my 68 today. I'll try to snap some pics if it will help.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

67tbird

NHCharger, that would be great if you can get some. It looks like the light housings were repainted, should the reflector area be black, or silver, mines flat black but it looks like overspray. Thanks, Dave

NHCharger

Here's a couple of pics. Let me know if you need anything else.

Pic 1. The blue wire heading right goes to the sending unit. The wire with the connector is the trunk light which runs up into the trunk lid. The black wire goes back to a third brake light I added in to rear window.

Pic 2. The connector that the pigtail from the tail lights plug into.

Pic 3. Trunk light mount on driver side of trunk latch.

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

tatrick2me

I thought you ask about the tag light and right side marker light, not the trunk light. There is a plug in the tail, brake, backup and tag light harness near the left rear marker light inside of the trunk. If you don't have a wire color chart you may have to unplug the harness push the garments out where they go trough the body, remove the rear bumper and trace the wire from tag light back. On the marker it should come back into the body across from where the main harness goes out.
Bone 7

67tbird

Thanks for the pics NHCharger, they have everyting running under the car and have abraded off alot of the loom cover so I'll probably have to drop the valance in order to relocate wires without roughing up the harness more. I found both side marker pigtails in one wheelwell, probably cut them off to make it easier to pull harness through. they have trunk light plugged into licence plate spot and hanging over plate(must have made pumping gas a treat!) All the wiring in the car is suspect, previous owner bought the car to gut interior for the rallye dash, and options he had a buddy replacing it with stock rallye dash when he had heart attack and died, owner couldn't bring himself to finish it so I have a mix of parts he threw in car.

Nacho-RT74

the wire feeding the trunk light is not more than a HOT wire from batt
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

tatrick2me

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 21, 2011, 12:34:54 PM
the wire feeding the trunk light is not more than a HOT wire from batt

The tag light wire splits off of the left tail light wires.
Bone 7

67tbird

Junk yard ed a bracket for licence plate light and got all lights working finally. Thanks for the info, really helped me straiten out a  mess, Dave