News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new engine burning oil ***Engine is out***

Started by Belgium R/T -68, May 08, 2011, 02:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 10, 2011, 01:47:17 AM
I feel some small hope here with your comments friends. :yesnod: I have no baffleplates on my 440source valvecovers, will go back to only
breathers and test as soon as my new sparkplugs arrive. Keep all your thumbs you have for me, just before this I planned on starting the build
of the Hemistroker but my selfconfidence are way to low for the moment.

Per

OK...  kinda like I suspected.

FYI... Mancini has similar valve covers WITH baffles.   (  http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/alfavaco.html ).

Good luck!
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Per, you absolutely need baffles with a PCV valve and they also help when using a dual breather setup as well  :yesnod:

I'm confident the engine is fine....take it out for a nice long run and clean her out  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

six-tee-nine

Ron is right,

a drive is what she needs..........with me in the pass seat  :coolgleamA:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

CB

So Per, you picked up the spark plugs today.

Did you put the breathers on and took her out for a good long spin?

How did it go?

CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Belgium R/T -68

Much better CB  :2thumbs: Smokes a little bit if you hit the pedal after some miles of p***ydriving
but I think that's also due to that it's a rather rich mix he gets. Will continue to test.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

CB

Right on!!!  :icon_smile_big: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

If you are free I'll drop by this weekend, let me know.
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Belgium R/T -68

Havn't done anymore testing due to unsure wheather but the plugs are now black but dry instead of soaked in oil like before so this should mean it's a to rich mixture when cruising.
Smaller jets or smaller carb? I have a Proform 850 race but will never use for then 1/3 of my throttle
normally, what do you think? :scratchchin:

Per

FLG

Per is there a chassis dyno around you that you can bring it to? Cost a bit but easiest way to tune everything, better than stopping and reading plugs till you get it right.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: FLG on May 17, 2011, 03:24:13 PM
Per is there a chassis dyno around you that you can bring it to? Cost a bit but easiest way to tune everything, better than stopping and reading plugs till you get it right.

That's something I planned to do a long time and I know that there are some in The Netherlands. :2thumbs:

Per

FLG

I say you go for it, not to say you cant get it right without a dyno but at least you can get it done much easier. Granted some minor tweaks you simply need to go down the 1/4 mile and get the best time, but a chassis dyno will get you about where you want to be..plus youll get your numbers  :2thumbs:

Mrs.Caveman

Dear Per!

I hope you can sort your problem out and everything is gonna be alright with your charger! :2thumbs:
all the best

Veronika

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: Mrs.Caveman on May 18, 2011, 09:59:03 AM
Dear Per!

I hope you can sort your problem out and everything is gonna be alright with your charger! :2thumbs:
all the best

Veronika

Hi friend, I hope so too. :cheers:

Per

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 17, 2011, 02:26:10 PM
what do you think?

Per

Per, jet it down 2 sizes on the primary side and report back  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 18, 2011, 01:42:58 PM
Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 17, 2011, 02:26:10 PM
what do you think?

Per

Per, jet it down 2 sizes on the primary side and report back  ;)

Ron

Sure will do my friend.  :cheers:

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Have ordered new jets but maybe I should have ordered a kit with everything in it for the carb?

In the meantime, here the specs of the carb like it is now, just out of the box:

Primary main jet 76, secondary 84
Idle air bleed 70, Hi speed bleed 33
Pri nozzle 33, sec nozzle 33
Needle & seat 120, Power valve 4.5

Per

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 21, 2011, 09:21:50 AM
Have ordered new jets but maybe I should have ordered a kit with everything in it for the carb?

In the meantime, here the specs of the carb like it is now, just out of the box:

Primary main jet 76, secondary 84
Idle air bleed 70, Hi speed bleed 33
Pri nozzle 33, sec nozzle 33
Needle & seat 120, Power valve 4.5

Per

A jet kit never hurts.....i have one that has an assortment of # 64-99 jets. It could also use a bigger power valve to help with the off idle transition. How much vacuum is it pulling at idle with the car in gear ? I'm sure it's making at least 14* hg at idle....correct ?

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Ron, I actually only meassured in park since I'm mostly alone but I can fix that if needed.
In park it's around 13-15". Other things for your info could be the hesitation when launching
calm but maybe the smaller jets will cure that? The throttleresponse isn't what you could dream of,
I would think a much more mean, quick response would fit this beast. But, once you are on the road
it's so powerful so if we just could solve the richness at low speeds it's a dreamengine.
Timing is fine, enginetemp great even in hot wheather and stillstanding, oilpressure fine and it starts
immediatly even cold and warm. Floatlevel and idlemix are adjusted.

Per

firefighter3931

Per, try checking the vaccum with the engine in gear....that way we can size the power valve properly  ;)

It will most likely need smaller main jets from what i'm seeing on your plugs.  :yesnod:

We might also need to upsize the squirter nozzle at some point but i'd like you to try these other things first....one change at a time.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

mhinders

The color of the smoke is usually a good indication, black smoke=too much fuel, blue smoke=too much oil. The smell is different also.
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

Belgium R/T -68

Vacuum at idle is now 12-13" in park and 8-9" in drive.

Per

Belgium R/T -68

Made a compressiontest today, all 8 cylinders gave 12kg/170psi with cold engine, WOT. What's that saying about a new engine?
Next thing is a leakdowntest.

Per

Dodgecharger74

I read most of this post In vid that looks like ice on the ground what was the temp & humidity Looks like part of that is steam has it actualy used any oil
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

firefighter3931

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 22, 2011, 10:10:42 AM
Vacuum at idle is now 12-13" in park and 8-9" in drive.

Per

A 6.5 power valve is what i would use  :yesnod:

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 24, 2011, 02:41:08 PM
Made a compressiontest today, all 8 cylinders gave 12kg/170psi with cold engine, WOT. What's that saying about a new engine?
Next thing is a leakdowntest.

Per

I'd say the engine is in great shape if all the cylinders are reading identical. The 170psi is ideal for pump gas with aluminum heads....you should have no problems with detonation. Usually, the best way to check compression is with a warm engine and that will bump the cranking numbers up a bit....but you're well within the acceptable limit for pump gas.  :2thumbs:

I'd be happy with those numbers !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron

Belgium R/T -68

Did a leakdowntest with my newly purchased leakdowntester, loosened the rockershaft to secure
closed valves since I have stock set up anyway. Readings were between 40-50% leak but I don't
look so much at the numbers that can depend on temp, pressure etc but you hear and feel the air
coming thru the oildipstick and valvecovers and you can smell it.  :eek2:
I will now start with the intake manifold as proposed, then lift the heads and most likely I will have
to pull the engine at the end. Nothing to do about but it really sucks. :brickwall:
Strange with those fine compressionnumbers. :scratchchin:

Per