News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My new engine burning oil ***Engine is out***

Started by Belgium R/T -68, May 08, 2011, 02:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Took the charger for a calm cruise yesterday and gave at one moment 1/2 throttle and the car starts to smoke from the exhausts like a diesletrain. At idle and low speed there's
no smoke. What can it be on an engine with only 250 miles? Pistonrings? Cylinderwalls? Valvestemsealings? Even with installed PCV I never had any draft on the other side but smoke instead.

500 stroker, eddys out of the box, diamond pistons, moly rings.
TTI X-pipes, are they connected? If yes, the problem can be in one cylinder I guess?

Can I meassure anything before I start teardown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVEEVBYZT0w

Per

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

six-tee-nine

Pull your plugs to check them for black carbon build up to try to determine what cilinder(s) are causing the issue.

Check for excessive blow by also. Altough the engine is'nt run in yet they should be really tight and the engine should not produce alot of blowby. If that is the case I'd say pistonrings, else i'd say valveshaft seals.

Damn Per you dont have much luck with your engines, first the GTX 440 now this......If you need a hand, you where to reach me
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Here's some pics of all 8 plugs, all of them even oily. They have about 50 miles on them.

Per

charger Downunder

Wow that vid looks bad after watching it i thought check your plugs now that you posted plug pics i would put a new set of plugs in and new oil and filter and run it in as they say drive it like you stole it.

You may have fouled up your plugs running to rich on initial motor set up and tuning.

I hope the bores arn't scored you may have glazed them up.
[/quote]

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

oldschool

maybe you are sucking oil from around the intake gasket.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: oldschool on May 08, 2011, 11:54:04 AM

I can always hope, another dreamthought was that installing a PCV together with not giving any throttle would make the blowby making the plugs look like they are
but that would be to easy. Maybe new plugs and a long drive on the highway would tell?

Per

FLG

Per,

I would keep it simple and make sure your intake/valley pan gasket is sealing. Even i had issues with mine. Unless your using an intake that has a seperate valley pan cover that might be the problem.

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: FLG on May 08, 2011, 02:01:07 PM
Per,

I would keep it simple and make sure your intake/valley pan gasket is sealing. Even i had issues with mine. Unless your using an intake that has a seperate valley pan cover that might be the problem.

Sure will do friend, the only thing speaking against that would be that all 8 plugs look the same or?

Per

FLG

Maybe an alignment issue with the valley pan? Simple removal of the intake and pan will show you if its sucking in oil from the intake ports.

I know you took a lot of care building that engine and would hate to see you have any issues...i remember the trans problems.

So keep it simple and hope for the best, youll need to remove the intake anyways if its more than just that anyways.

Belgium R/T -68

You are so right, all the hours I spent on crank, rods, pistons, rings and most of the shortblockissues but did I check that the intake aligned to the heads in a perfect way?
No, I didn't. I assumed eddy heads and intake would match just like that. I hope so much you are right.

Per

firefighter3931

Per, it sure looks like it's sucking oil into the chambers from the looks of those plugs. Install a new intake gasket and use permatex around the ports on both sides of the gasket. Do all of the intake bolts thread easily ? If the intake bolts won't thread easily this is an indication of poor intake port alignment  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Install a new set of NGK BCPR-6ES plugs and see how it does.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

FLG

Ron,

Wouldn't the use of hylomar work better for intake gasket applications? Its impervious to gasoline unlike permatex's other sealants (ultra copper, right stuff..etc) which over time will ge eaten by it.

firefighter3931

Frank, i've allways used the Ultra Copper on all gasket surfaces and never had problems.  :2thumbs:

The trick is to let the RTV set up before final tightening.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tan top

Quote from: oldschool on May 08, 2011, 11:54:04 AM

yep thats my first thought also  :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Belgium R/T -68

I used papergaskets on both sides of the valleypan without sealer, maybe not the best way? :scratchchin:

Per

six-tee-nine

Nope.

U certanly need to put some "goop" between the gaskets and the surfaces. That probably still sucks since you need to pull the heads to remove and seal the valleypan first IIRC

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: six-tee-nine on May 09, 2011, 01:41:24 PM
Nope.

U certanly need to put some "goop" between the gaskets and the surfaces. That probably still sucks since you need to pull the heads to remove and seal the valleypan first IIRC

Hi koen,
Luckily the valleypan can be replaced with the heads still on. :eek2: With my luck the complete block is propably garbish. :'(

Per

b5blue

Per with 250 miles that motor has not started to break in well yet. Were it mine I'd change plugs and put a couple hours on the motor at all different speeds to seat the oil rings and get things moving. I agree with Ron on the sealant but in the past for me that kind of leak, from the pan area was always uneven. One or 2 cylinders got it bad and others were fine.  :scratchchin:

Belgium R/T -68

Quote from: b5blue on May 09, 2011, 02:51:29 PM
Per with 250 miles that motor has not started to break in well yet. Were it mine I'd change plugs and put a couple hours on the motor at all different speeds to seat the oil rings and get things moving. I agree with Ron on the sealant but in the past for me that kind of leak, from the pan area was always uneven. One or 2 cylinders got it bad and others were fine.  :scratchchin:

My fear aswell my friend, way to similar pattern on all the plugs. the strange thing is that it started when I installed a PCV valve connected to the carbfoot

Per

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on May 09, 2011, 02:56:24 PM
Quote from: b5blue on May 09, 2011, 02:51:29 PM

My fear aswell my friend, way to similar pattern on all the plugs. the strange thing is that it started when I installed a PCV valve connected to the carbfoot

Per

PCV valves need some sort of block off plate inside the valve cover so that they do not suck oil that is splashed at them off the rockers and such.

It's a common problem with aftermarket valve covers...  generally you have to make something .  I have no idea what kind of valve covers you are running however.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

FLG

Hmm,

Per does this happen with just breather on the engine? If it dosnt then your sucking in oil from the pcv valve...imo ditch it and just run 2 breathers. If the vc's aren't baffled on the inside you will have problems.

If you still do and it turns out to be the valley pan. Ditch the paper gaskets and just run the pan with some permatex...factory never used gaskets in that area just the pan.

b5blue

Plug the PCV with some electrical tape over the end, put it back in the rubber grommet and see if it quits.  :scratchchin:

Belgium R/T -68

I feel some small hope here with your comments friends. :yesnod: I have no baffleplates on my 440source valvecovers, will go back to only
breathers and test as soon as my new sparkplugs arrive. Keep all your thumbs you have for me, just before this I planned on starting the build
of the Hemistroker but my selfconfidence are way to low for the moment.

Per

six-tee-nine

Per, I think it wont be as bad as you think....
Maybe we should fly to Canada and kidnapp Ron for a while to teach us about building Mopar engines altough I kinda think the two of us wont be enough to put him in the trunk of a car :D :D