News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B5 Bird on E-bay

Started by WINGIN IT, May 16, 2011, 10:09:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WINGIN IT

Looking for opinions on what you guys think a good buying price for this bird :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180667754827&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It was listed a few years back and last year.  High bids have ranged from $65K to low 80s .
Owner at the time  I looked at it 2 years ago was looking for six figures for the car.

Nice car, overall, condition wise - one quarter replaced, added tic-toc-tac.
Non-number's matching engine - but date code correct, stamped with VIN from dealer. Matching tranny.
Repro tag and window sticker, no buildsheet.
14" wheels .

This number's matching B5 auto on the column with A?C and original sheetmetal and a repaint bid to $99K just recently. Current asking price is $109K . 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,80175.0.html

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemi68charger

:2thumbs:  Like those 4-speed benches.............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGIN IT

pettybird

try to take corners in one and you'll change your mind.  at least you have a huge shifter to hold on to.  :lol:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: pettybird on May 16, 2011, 12:59:08 PM
try to take corners in one and you'll change your mind.  at least you have a huge shifter to hold on to.  :lol:

Do we not wear our seatbelt  ;) :lol:

hemi68charger

try to take corners in one and you'll change your mind.  at least you have a huge shifter to hold on to.  :lol:

Well,,when I have fun with my winged wonder, I pretend I'm at Talladega or Daytona, not Riverside or Watkins-Glen...    :D
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

nascarxx29

I was reminded of this B5 car following this post owned by Zachary .Same car??

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69012.0.html
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Quote from: Seller's Description
Non-number's matching engine - but date code correct, stamped with VIN from dealer. Matching tranny.

OK, riddle me this...

If a car had its engine replaced (assumedly under warranty), the dealer would not have worried about getting a date-correct block to reinstall, would they?

"Date-correct engine" and "dealer-stamped VIN" are two things I would not expect to see on the same car -- unless the engine gave up the ghost just a few weeks after delivery (to the dealership, that is).

:scratchchin: :scope: :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on May 16, 2011, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: Seller's Description

OK, riddle me this...

If a car had its engine replaced (assumedly under warranty), the dealer would not have worried about getting a date-correct block to reinstall, would they?

"Date-correct engine" and "dealer-stamped VIN" are two things I would not expect to see on the same car -- unless the engine gave up the ghost just a few weeks after delivery (to the dealership, that is).

:scratchchin: :scope: :shruggy:

Geno,
The ONLY reason I could think of a dealership service department restamping the VIN on a replacement/warranty block would be that of the request by the customer for tracking purposes in case of theft... back then, there was no such thing as "number's matching" in the sense we use today in this hobby. I would think it would be 100% towards tracking down the motor in the event the vehicle was stolen......
Troy

nascarxx29

Looks up 1978-79 Mike Zachary  Henderson KY RM23UOA179768

nascarxx29

WINGIN IT

Appears to be the same vehicle.
Good info, thanks.

Anyone care to give a ballpark on the car in it's current state?

moparstuart

desirable color and 4 speed  maybe 100k ?
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
Geno,
The ONLY reason I could think of a dealership service department restamping the VIN on a replacement/warranty block would be that of the request by the customer for tracking purposes in case of theft... back then, there was no such thing as "number's matching" in the sense we use today in this hobby. I would think it would be 100% towards tracking down the motor in the event the vehicle was stolen......

Yeah, I understand all that.  I don't recall exactly where such instructions are given, but supposedly service replacement blocks were to be embossed with the car's VIN.  To this point the stories I've heard from dealership service dept. workers (mostly 2nd-hand, but still stories nonetheless) all say that they never took the time to do this.  Of course, the couple of stories I've heard represent a very small sampling of actual warranty replacements back then.

Nonetheless, I highly doubt that a dealership would have ever installed a "date correct" engine unless it failed VERY early in the car's life.  It could have happened, of course, but it doesn't seem likely.  Otherwise, Chrysler would have sent out a block (or shortblock engine assembly) dated somewhere close to when the claim was submitted. 

My point is, I find it a little hard to believe that it was the dealer that happened to stamp the VIN, AND that it was stamped on a "date correct" engine block.  Maybe I'm just too much of a conspiracy theorist, I dunno.

WINGR

WINGIN IT

Quote from: WINGR on May 16, 2011, 05:55:45 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 16, 2011, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2011, 10:25:35 AM
:2thumbs:  Like those 4-speed benches.............

Yeah me too  ;)

Me three :2thumbs:

Rub in there WINGR... scoopin' up the last B5 4spd that was "for sale"   ;) ;D

WINGR

Maybe the one that's for sale will end up in your garage, good luck. :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemigeno on May 16, 2011, 05:40:18 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on May 16, 2011, 02:40:58 PM
Geno,

Yeah, I understand all that.  I don't recall exactly where such instructions are given, but supposedly service replacement blocks were to be embossed with the car's VIN.  To this point the stories I've heard from dealership service dept. workers (mostly 2nd-hand, but still stories nonetheless) all say that they never took the time to do this.  Of course, the couple of stories I've heard represent a very small sampling of actual warranty replacements back then.

Nonetheless, I highly doubt that a dealership would have ever installed a "date correct" engine unless it failed VERY early in the car's life.  It could have happened, of course, but it doesn't seem likely.  Otherwise, Chrysler would have sent out a block (or shortblock engine assembly) dated somewhere close to when the claim was submitted. 

My point is, I find it a little hard to believe that it was the dealer that happened to stamp the VIN, AND that it was stamped on a "date correct" engine block.  Maybe I'm just too much of a conspiracy theorist, I dunno.

I 100% agree... Just stating the "what-if".......    :2thumbs:
Troy

pettybird

Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 16, 2011, 01:23:26 PM

seat belts only work on left hand turns for the driver and right hand turns for the passenger!

WINGIN IT

Quote from: WINGR on May 16, 2011, 06:16:19 PM

Maybe the one that's for sale will end up in your garage, good luck. :2thumbs:

Doesn't look like it was meant to be, unfortunately with this one.
But appreciate the optimistic reply.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: pettybird on May 16, 2011, 06:33:46 PM
Quote from: WINGIN IT on May 16, 2011, 01:23:26 PM

seat belts only work on left hand turns for the driver and right hand turns for the passenger!

Is that right.. :scratchchin: 
Guess those engineers didn't thunk out their design very well... :brickwall: :lol:

WINGIN IT

Quote from: nascarxx29 on May 16, 2011, 02:29:51 PM
I was reminded of this B5 car following this post owned by Zachary .Same car??

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,69012.0.html

So based on the above previous thread, is the consensus, that both quarters were replaced, and the engine nor the tranny are original to the car?
Or did I not read that thread correctly?

Does anyone know if the original fender tag for this car is still around?

Aero426

The Zachary family had something approaching ten wing cars +/- at one time, quite a sight in the yard.  So I cannot say whether the car mentioned in the other thread is the one for sale now.    He had more than one blue Superbird.  

I don't remember if it is the tag or build sheet, but one of them is still around.   The current owner was not able to acquire it to reunite it with the car.  He could tell you which one it is.   I suspect it is an item that may be available for the right $$$.   

WINGIN IT

Everything is for sale for the right price, right? ;)
Including this bird...
Unfortunately the "right" price is "wrong" for me... :'(