News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what should I set my idle RPM at?

Started by troy.70R/T, June 07, 2011, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troy.70R/T

Well I finally got my 70 Charger running but am not sure what to set the idle at. I have looked in my book but can't find it anywhere. it is a 440 4-speed and is all stock except that it has just a little bit bigger cam in it. I don't want to be starving for oil when it is idling at a stop light. Can I get some suggestions on what Idle RPM you guys are running your stock 70 440"s at at and what you have your timing set at. Thanks

Just 6T9 CHGR

825 in park....750 in gear....ish

18º BTDC

Every engine is different....adjust yours to what works best for you
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

troy.70R/T

Are you sure about the 18 Degrees BTDC I think the book says2-1/2 degrees and 5 degrees BTDC for preformance 440. Am I missing something??????? Is your timing at idle is that what they call initial timing? thanks

Just 6T9 CHGR

...yes mine is at 18º intital timing with vac advance unplugged.

My dizzy was recurved at FBO Racing to run this way with my engine specs.  34º total all in by 2500rpm if I remember correctly.

Even with a stock distributor, I dont think the 5º that the service manual specifies is enough initial for todays fuels etc. :Twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

troy.70R/T

should I run it that advanced even before I have it broke in? or should I only run at abt about 10 degrees BTDC until it has a few hundred miles on it. As long as it does not ping or is hard to start when hot should  try runnig it at 18 degrees BTDC. Also what does todays fuel have to do with it? Is it the low octane?

FLG

Id bump up the idle a bit (~850 in gear), remember our cams are splash lubed so at low RPM there not getting as much oil, and with todays oil they need as much as they can get.

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on June 08, 2011, 09:27:27 PM
Id bump up the idle a bit (~850 in gear), remember our cams are splash lubed so at low RPM there not getting as much oil, and with todays oil they need as much as they can get.

:iagree:

The engine is also going to respond favorable to increased base timing...at least 14-15* at idle  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

troy.70R/T

well I am currently still running the Lucas engine breakin oil in the car. When I got the motor to fired I checked oil pressure,timed it quickly (roughly 5 degree BTDC) and then ran it at 2000 RPM for 25 minuites to keep the cam soacked in oil. the temp guage went up and down several times so I know the thermostat was opening and closing and I did not have any over heating issues. I am currently Ideling at 1000 RPM in Neutral and set at 5 Degrees BTDC. BTW it is a 4-speed car. So now you thin I should set RPM at 850 ant bump up the timing to 14 degrees BTDC and go from there.