News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

TRUNK FLOOR PART 3!
This is the final batch of pictures of the trunk floor installation! The first picture shows the floor welded and now prepped. The second picture is another of the trunk floor prepped. The third picture shows the trunk floor in epoxy primer. The last picture shows the floor in
a block and sand primer. I am really excited that I have an original trunk floor back in the Superbird for the first time since 1980! WOW!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 16, 2013, 01:54:07 PM
All I can say is "Wow !!"   :2thumbs:
Troy,
I am with you on the WOW thing! The work is moving along real well and I have more to post soon!
MJ

JB400

Some really good work going on there :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: I hope I don't leave crumbs on the floor :icon_smile_big: :popcrn:

1966hemi

Mopar John

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on March 16, 2013, 04:57:54 PM
Some really good work going on there :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: I hope I don't leave crumbs on the floor :icon_smile_big: :popcrn:
Quote from: 1966hemi on March 16, 2013, 06:24:24 PM
:cheers: Great looking floor!
Thanks for kind comments guys! My next post will show some more progress on the Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

HOOD HINGES and DUTCHMANS PANEL
  When I posted about the door hinges being prepped and rebuilt I forgot to mention the hood hinges. While the guys were doing the door hinges they also did the hood hinges! My first picture shows the hood hinges blasted and ready for primer. The second picture shows them drying and now in primer.
   Next up is the rear dutchman panel. The third picture in this post show a support that was cut off while removing parts possibly by me way years ago? The last picture shows a new piece fabricated and welded in place!
    In my next post I will have more on the dutchmans panel!
MJ

Mopar John

DUTCHMANS PANEL PART 2!
In this segment I will show the last of the pictures on the dutchmans panel and rear window area prep. The first picture shows the left bottom corner of the rear window frame. These lower corners are notorious for rusting out letting water in and then destroying the trunk floor!! This corner and the other needed some work and were repaired. The second picture shows the bottom of the dutchmans panel that I was able to buy NOS back around 1980! The backside is still in factory primer and has the original part number 2838712 stenciled on it! WOW! The third picture shows the top side of the dutchmans panel with overspray showing where the Superbird window plug covered part of it. The last picture shows the dutchmans panel all cleaned up and ready for installation!
    This post contains the last of the pictures from that billing cycle! Not long after this Linda and I traveled down to Troy's shop with parts for the restoration! The Superbird is way ahead of this story and I can't wait to get you all up to speed! Speaking of speed, I am thinking we are in good shape to make Talladega 2014 with this Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

RICK SOUTHE
 In this segment I would like to discuss parts. As you know the average restoration takes a bunch of parts. My go to guy for original Mopar parts is Rick Southe! He is the parts manager at my local dealership and ALWAYS takes the time out to help me. He knows darn well that some of my calls are just for information and will NOT lead to a sale for him but he helps none the less! First off he tells me if a part is still available. There are some guys on EBAY and MOPARTS selling stuff that you would think is no longer available but it is.
Rick also knows how to run the locator and see if any thing is still out there and help me with that also. Rick has a helper Julie that does real well in his rare vacation days or sick days also! While on Rick he owns a rare 2 year only Dodge Demon! He has been working on several upgrades that will surprise you when you think a 318 has pulled up next to you! I'm not going to spoil the suprise on that!
                                                                           THANKS RICK!!!!!
  Recently Linda and I made a visit to visit Troy's restoration shop and drop off some parts. While there I was given some Chrysler documents. There was a pick tag like the ones we discussed in my Daytona article, a shipping tag and a couple of shipping labels from parts I ordered in the past! Back in the late 70's and early 80's the dealership I used was Mertl Motors. In the upper left corner of the attached picture is a shipping label for one of the 2965947 trunk floor extensions I installed back then. In the lower left corner is another
shipping label for a couple of 3571114 black PLYMOUTH quarter decals! I wish I had bought more! WOW!
MJ

70Sbird

Looking good John!
:2thumbs:
I cant wait to see this one finished!
Keep up the good work
Scott

Scott Faulkner

Mopar John

Scott,
I hope you don't have to see it from the inside again! I'm just kidding and hope your luck changes and you don't need another ride!
MJ

70Sbird

Quote from: Mopar John on April 01, 2013, 03:17:01 PM
Scott,
I hope you don't have to see it from the inside again! I'm just kidding and hope your luck changes and you don't need another ride!
MJ

Thanks John, mine is up and running again! but only running in the garage so far. I'm still waiting for the salt to be washed away before I get out and do my testing and tuning! Here in Central Il, we got all of this winters snow in March!

Scott Faulkner

Mopar John

MORE ON PARTS!
About a month ago Linda and I took a short trip to Nashville, Tennessee and stopped at Troy Angelly's shop on the way down.
We planned this trip to be there when all the metal work was done and drop off parts to continue on with the project! I have pictures from that visit but it jumps ahead of this story, so I'll wait on that. The Superbird looked great and was almost ready for a short time in the bondo room and then primer!
 So here are some pictures of the parts I had saved up over the years and dropped off on the visit. The first picture shows mainly nose area parts that include an NOS nose wire/vacum harness and some NOS nose seals! The second picture is mainly engine compartment parts that include a recently discussed NOS F E oil cap, NOS power steering resevoir cap, and the restored wiper motor! The third picture shows some interior stuff including NOS arm rest bases and pads along with door hadles, a dome light housing and lens! The last picture shows the parts for the back end of the Superbird that includes NOS shocks, NOS trunk seal, NOS rear body wire harness, NOS rear sidemarker parts and NOS exhaust tips and clamps!
 The next visit is planned for when the body is painted and assembled!
MJ

hemi68charger

Pretty good stash there................   :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Troy,
I had been saving odds and ends for this car before I started on the B5 Daytona! Since that trip I have found a few more goodies scattered around and have to get them down there. But I will say this that there are less rare pieces to the Superbird!
MJ

tan top

:scope:  nice work  :yesnod: :coolgleamA:  , keep the pictures coming  :cheers: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

No update on the Superbird today! Just wishing my wife 426 Linda HAPPY BIRTHDAY today!
MJ

1970Moparmann

John, it's been a month - any update? :popcrn: :popcrn:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

Mike,
You are not the first to ask! I have some friends who are really interested in the restoration of this Superbird that I have had forever.
There was a snafu with the pictures that went with the last invoice. Just last week I received them and a photo disk! I will try and get something started later today. I have to work 3 16's and 2 12's then get ready for yet another national wing car meet! So, if I don't get going today it will be another couple of weeks!
MJ

Mopar John

DRIVERS SIDE QUARTER PANEL INSTALLATION!!
We'll after after Mike ( 1970Moparmann ) got me jump started here we go! This post has pictures of the Superbird NOS drivers side quarter panel installation! The first picture shows some door latch pillar repair from where the old quarter panel was removed. The second picture shows this area repaired and welded. The third picture shows again this area mocked up with screws to hold the quarter panel in place. The last picture shows the door opening also mocked up!
MJ

Mopar John

DRIVERS SIDE QUARTER PANEL INSTALLATION PART 2!
In this post we continue on the drivers side quarter panel installation! The first picture shows the drivers side wheel opening mocked up with the NOS quarter panel. The second picture shows quarter and trunk floor extension mocked up. Now things get exciting, At least for me! The third picture shows the drivers side quarter lined up with the door. The last picture shows the drivers side quarter lined up with the already prepped trunklid! WOW! The panel alignment was one of the reasons the whole backend of the Superbird needed to be redone. My body work from years ago was poor on panel fit and alignment!
MJ

1970Moparmann

Looking good John!  Glad I can push you on the forum... :2thumbs:

Hey, where are the RECENT pictures, those say 2011!  :shruggy:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

JB400

His mail is still delivered by Pony Express.

Thanks for the update :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Mopar John

Thanks guys! They use junk cameras in the shop as they get beat up at times. The date stamp is way off! The pictures are from this spring!
MJ

Mopar John

SUPERBIRD GLASS!
Linda and I attended the national wing car meet near Detroit this past week. We were wingless but got to go along and see all our friends! The show was great and I will post some pictures on the post for the meet.
  On our way home we stopped to pick up our Superbirds glass! It took several month's and a lot of man hours to get all the defects out. The biggest chore was the original back glass that had several long scratches that were fairly deep and some DA sander marks! The glass is now here safe and sound ready for the next visit to the restoration shop. This is a HUGE item checked off the to do list!
  My goal is to have the restored Superbird at the next national wing car meet in Talladega 2014!
MJ

JB400

Best of luck making the meet.  Glad you had fun at this year's.