News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

Mopar John

TRUNK FLOOR STRENGTHING RIB DRIED PRIMER?
When the bodies were dipped at the factory there was extra primer left in the trunk floor strengthing ribs. It was left there and dried in a funny looking pattern. Rather than just clean out the ribs and primer than paint Troy has developed a method to duplicate this factory look. This batch of pictures will show that and more!
  The first picture is of the passengers sidetrunk floor extension with the red goo in place. You will also see that the wing brace tab and jack hold down stud are in place. The second picture is of the trunk floor and the third is a closeup of the same area. The last picture is of the drivers side trunk floor extension showing the red goo and you will notice the seam sealer is also applied! I am sure many of you have not seen something like this before!
 I am not done with the pre paint details! Back with more soon!
MJ

Mopar John

DOES IT LOOK LIKE BARE STEEL?
Over the years Troy Angelly has been looking at cars that were restored at various shops and have rusted in places that were not protected over time! He has worked on this problem and developed a painting procedure that helps in this area. This batch of pictures will show what he did to the Superbird body prior to final paint.
The first picture shows the trunk opening masked and papered for this paint. The second picture shows the inside of the taillight panel painted with the special paint. The third picture shows the bottom of the speaker shelf painted. The last picture in this batch shows the drivers wheel tub and trunklid hinge support painted. NEAT!
MJ

Mopar John

INSIDE FIREWALL PRIMER TANK LINE!
When the bodies were dipped in the primer vat at the factory it only went about two thirds of the way up the firewall. In this batch of pictures I will show you how Troy and the guys duplicated this detail!
The first picture shows the top of the firewall masked off and ready for paint. The last two pictures show the firewall painted with the primer line now visable!
  This concludes the preparation of the Superbird body for paint! The next batch of pictures will show the body and parts ready for paint! WOW!
MJ

Mopar John

READY FOR PAINT!!
Well the day has finally come were the Superbird body is ready for paint! This batch of pictures will show all of the parts cleaned up and ready in the huge spray booth that Troy has at his shop! The first picture is of the trunklid. The second picture is of the passngers door hung and ready! The third picture is of the hood. The last picture in this batch is of the passengers side. Note how they paper and tape the jack stands.
MJ

jonw29

Nice progress.I can see the color coming.THAT PAINT BOOTH IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mopar John

READY FOR PAINT PART 2!
 I will continue with the ready for paint pictures! The first picture is of the drivers door hung and ready. The second picture is of the rear of the body. You can see the red goo is still visable. The third picture is of the drivers side of the body. The last picture before paint is another of the rear with the trunk floor now in primer over the red goo in the support channels. When I return I will have pictures of the freshly painted Superbird body! Enjoy!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: jonw29 on March 09, 2014, 01:06:46 PM
Nice progress.I can see the color coming.THAT PAINT BOOTH IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS! HUGE STEP FORWARD NEXT UPDATE!

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

THE DAY FOR THE EK2 SINGLE STAGE PAINT HAS ARRIVED!
  After so much time and work the day finally came to paint the Superbird body! The first picture is the one I posted a while back as a teaser. The second picture is of the drivers side wing washer wheel tub area. The third picture is over on the passengers side. The last picture is of the inside firewall.
MJ

Mopar John

EK2 PAINT PART 2!
Here are some more pictures of the fresh paint. I am sorry for the color quality in this batch. The camera must have been in the paint booth too long? As we move forward you will see the TRUE COLOR! The first picture is of the freshly painted hood ( no more dent! ). The second picture is of the passengers side door. The third picture is of the trunklid and the last picture is of the rear of the body. WOW!
MJ

Aero426

That has to make you feel real good.   :2thumbs:

Mopar John

Quote from: Aero426 on March 14, 2014, 08:56:44 AM
That has to make you feel real good.   :2thumbs:
YES! Doug.
Phase one was the disassembly and body dip.
Phase two was all the metal work.
Phase three was all the body work, gaps and paint.
The paint is always the biggest one!
MJ

Mytur Binsdirti

69hemidaytona

FJ5WING

wingless now, but still around.

Hemi Runner

Incredible restoration. This car will be better than new when finished. I cannot imagine the 1000's of man hours going into this car. Very impressed.

thehemikid

...feeling good,
...Stellar,
...Awesome,
... :2thumbs:,
...Incredible,
...better than new,...impressive,

... INDEED!...and looks like it will be, all the way to turn key.   Looking good, :coolgleamA: :2thumbs:

Mopar John

EK2 PAINT PART 3!
Thanks for all the GREAT comments guys! It has taken a lot of hard work to get to this point. I have spoke with others who have gone on this journey and I am pleased with the amount of hours that I have been charged for to bring this Superbird back from the years of abuse and the amatuer restoration done by myself. I highly reccomend Troy Angelly Restorations! Most of you know this is my second car done at his shop. I hear a lot of horror stories out there! BE CAREFULL!
   Today I will share with you some pictures of the paint going on the outside of the body!
My first picture is Troy just getting started! He does all the painting himself! The second picture shows some EK2 orange on the roof. The third picture is of the drivers quarter down low. The last picture is of the drivers side from the front after some paint has been applied!
MJ

Mopar John

EK2 PAINT PART 4!!
In this batch of pictures I will continue on with the outer bady paint! The first picture is of the drivers side from the rear. The second picture is of the front of the body. The last two pictures are of the passegers side. ENJOY!
MJ

FJ5WING

If the guy who squirted my Green saw that booth he'd feel like he was in heaven.

wingless now, but still around.

jonw29

That thing is the size of a small country.

Mopar John

DOOR BLACK OUT FOR BLACK INTERIOR!
Before the doors could be bolted back up to the body it was time to black out for the black interior!
The first two pictures show the drivers door masked off for this. The last two pictures show the black paint applied!
MJ

Mopar John

TIME TO ASSEMBLE AND POLISH THE PAINT!
This batch of pictures will show the doors and trunklid installed and some of the polishing work!
The first picture is of the trunklid and passenger door now on. The second picture shows the drivers door on and some polishing work. The third picture shows the rear of the Superbird. The last picture is of the polish work on the hood.
  In my next batch of pictures I will show all the parts 426 Linda and I took down to the shop on our visit January 2nd of this year! STAY TUNED!
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection