News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

POWER STEERING PUMP WORK!
Again here are pictures of work being done on another part that makes up the big picture!
The first picture is of the power steering pump cooler after it was bead blasted and the fins straightened out.
The second picture is of the power steering pump pulleys after bead blasting. The third and fourth pictures are of the power steering pump brackets after they have been bead blasted!
MJ

Mopar John

ANOTHER TELEPHONE CALL FOR PARTS!
This time it's for a trunk weatherstrip and some engine wire harness goodies!
We only needed a couple of more items to finish off the trunk. One is a factory trunkmat and the other is a factory weatherstrip. I have been looking all over the place for these items. Then I had a thought! Maybe the GTX racecar still has it's original? The attached picture shows the original trunk weatherstrip still on the GTX in great shape!
Boy did I get lucky there! The second picture is a close up of the factory part number that shows up every so often on the weather strip. The weatherstrip was on a big roll and cut off and put into some type of heated press and cut and formed for the differant cars. Usually at one end on the underside was the part number for the application.
The last picture is of the three 1970 engine wire harnesses that I'm sending down for that project!
MJ

FJ5WING

I knew the trunk weatherstrips were impossible to find but I wasn't able to remove it without causing more damage than I would've liked to try and reinstall. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Well that and Im not going to the extent that you are. :icon_smile_big:
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 02, 2014, 04:38:00 PM
I knew the trunk weatherstrips were impossible to find but I wasn't able to remove it without causing more damage than I would've liked to try and reinstall. :icon_smile_blackeye:

Well that and Im not going to the extent that you are. :icon_smile_big:
FJ5,
It took quite some time to get that weatherstrip removed!
MJ

Mopar John

MORE PREP WORK!
A little by little things are moving forward! The first picture in this batch is of the motor mount brackets bead blasted and ready for primer. The second picture shows them hanging and now in primer!
The third picture is of the main alternator bracket bead blasted. The last picture shows it hanging and in primer!
MJ

Mopar John

MORE POWER STEERING PUMP WORK!
The first picture shows the resivoir back on the pump after repairs. The second picture shows the power steering pulley and brake master cylinder plate hanging and in primer. The third picture is of one of the power steering pump brackets hanging and primered. The last picture is of the fan already cleaned up and in primer!
MJ

Mopar John

MORE POWER STEERING PUMP & FUEL FILLER TUBE!
The first picture in this batch is of the other power steering pump bracket now in primer! The second picture is of the power steering pump cooler in primer. The third picture is of the fuel filler tube as removed from the tank. The last picture is of the fuel filler tube after it was cleaned up. No big WOW moments but building toward some!
MJ

Mopar John

WING BRACES!
Here is a series of pictures showing the restoration of the wing braces!
The first picture shows a lower view as taken off with the rusted hardware. The second picture shows one of the braces where I bent the bottom due to my welding the tab to the new trunk floor extension in the wrong spot years ago! The third picture shows them hanging after bead blasting. The last picture shows them painted and ready to install! When will the wing go back on?
MJ

Mopar John

SWAY BAR!
Here are a few pictures of the sway bar. The first one is of it as removed from the Superbird. One problem is I painted it silver! The second picture is of it blasted and the last is of it painted. The ready to go parts pile is getting bigger!
MJ

Mopar John

THE K MEMBER IS PAINTED!
In some previous posts you saw the K member work going on and now it's ready! The first picture shows it hung and ready for paint. The second picture shows it now painted and ready!
The third picture shows the inner fender splash shields blasted. I am surprised at the great condition they were in!
The last picture shows the splash shields now painted! THE WING IS NEXT!
MJ

Mopar John

WING RESTORATION!
With the wing washers restored and part of the body and the wing braces restored it was time to get the wing ready! The uprights and cross bar were stripped of the decals and paint. The first picture shows the drivers upright with some light filler to smooth it out. The second picture is of the passengers upright. The third picture shows the center section stripped and ready for the next step. The last picture is of the center section with an aluminum friendly primer coat!
MJ

Mopar John

WING RESTORATION PART 2!
Here the wing restoration work continues! The first two pictures are of the wing uprights also in their first coat of aluminum friendly primer. The third and fourth pictures are of the uprights now in a second coat of regular primer!
MJ

Mopar John

THE WING ASSEMBLY IS BACK ON THE SUPERBIRD!!!
The first picture is of the center section in it's second coat of regular primer. The second picture is of the uprights being wet sanded prior to paint. The third picture is of the uprights now in orange paint. I saved the best for last! The last picture is of the wing assembly now back on the Superbird! WOW!
MJ

Dave Kanofsky

Thanks for always sharing so much John!

Lookin' GREAT!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 06, 2014, 12:38:01 PM

Lookin' GREAT!

:iagree:

Dave took the words right out of my mouth...............  Now, I need a drink..............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 06, 2014, 01:18:43 PM
Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on May 06, 2014, 12:38:01 PM

Lookin' GREAT!

:iagree:

Dave took the words right out of my mouth...............  Now, I need a drink..............

Now I need a swig of mouthwash!!!
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

THANKS to everyone here on the site and the pm's!
The parts are swiftly going from the to be worked on tables to the finished tables or better yet reinstalled on the Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT VALANCE CORNERS!
You will remember from some earlier posts that the front valance corners were worked on and test fit already!
The first two pictures show them hanging and ready for primer. The third picture shows them in the first coat of self etching primer. The last picture shows them now in regular primer!
MJ

Mopar John

TRANSMISSION CROSS MEMBER!
With the K member repaired and painted it was time to get the transmission cross member ready!
The first picture shows it already bead blasted and ready for primer. The second picture shows it now in primer. The last two pictures shows it painted and ready to install! GREAT!
MJ

maxwellwedge

Looks good John! Would like to see that trans cross member a little more glossy....maybe it's the pic.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 08, 2014, 08:45:54 AM
Looks good John! Would like to see that trans cross member a little more glossy....maybe it's the pic.
Jim,
Take a look at the picture of the K member and see what you think?
I believe the same paint was used on the cross member.
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

QUARTER PANEL SCOOPS & WINDOW PLUG FILLER PIECES!
Here are some more pieces of the puzzle getting ready for reassembly! The first picture is of the quarter panel scoops hanging and ready for epoxy primer. The second picture is of the window plug filler pieces also ready for epoxy primer. The third picture shows the parts in epoxy primer. The last picture shows them with a coat of regular primer.
MJ

Mopar John

QUARTER PANEL SCOOPS & WINDOW PLUG FILLER PIECES PART 2!
The first picture shows the parts now sanded and ready for paint. The second picture shows the parts now painted along with the front spoiler and ready to be reinstalled on the Superbird body! The last picture shows the taillight housings and the quarter extensions also painted and ready for reinstallation! I can't wait till all these parts are back on!
MJ

Mopar John

MORE ENGINE WORK!
This batch of pictures shows some of the work that was done to make the engine more correct!
The first picture is of a block drain plug that has been stripped. The second picture shows a nut that was threaded on the remains of the block plug. Later it was welded to the block plug. The third picture shows a correct replacement plug now in the block! The last picture shows the engine oil dip stick. If you look close at the bottom it was damaged by me installing it with a wide tipped screw driver. I was able to get an NOS one from a closed dealership that still had one!
MJ