News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

ENGINE WORK PART 2!
In this batch of pictures I show more work that was done to make the engine correct!
The first two pictures show valve cover wire tabs that were broke off. The last two pictures shows the same areas with new tabs welded in place! You will also notice where some work is going on to remove a small dent in one of the valve covers.
MJ

Mopar John

ENGINE WORK PART 3!
Here we show more engine work. This time the exhaust manifolds! The first problem was that the passengers side exhaust manifold had a small crack in it. Try to find a properly date coded single manifold today! I had a guy respond to my want ad then told me that someone who looked at it a while back stopped and bought it!@#$%^&!
I got back in touch and asked him to buy it back or trade for another one he had with a date I couldn't use. A few days went by and he made it happen! The first picture shows the NOS and used heat riser parts. The second picture shows the replacement exhaust manifold with the rebuilt heat riser ready to install. The last two pictures shows the engine all restored and ready for paint! ENJOY!
MJ

pettybird

Didn't six pack motors get the larger hemi fuel pump?  and wasn't the dipstick tube installed after the motor was painted? 

I could be dead wrong on both, but that's what I had in my head for some reason...

Mopar John

Doug,
Very good observations on both items!
I'll start with the dip stick tube. The one that's in the motor is the beat up one. It was keeping the hole covered back then. It was removed before paint and the NOS one installed after paint!
On the fuel pump you'll notice that it's already orange. That was a new pump that was bought for the B5 Daytona while I was sorting out fuel probblems. The correct date coded and part number fuel pump is out for restoration and upgrades for modern fuels. It should be back before paint and if not will be swapped out when it returns. It looks just like the one on the motor and is not a HEMI style pump.
Thanks! John

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on May 16, 2014, 04:48:10 PM
... It looks just like the one on the motor and is not a HEMI style pump.
Thanks! John

Yeap, six packs got the "regular" looking fuel pump.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

MORE NOSE CONE WORK!
This batch of pictures shows the nose cone getting ready for paint! The first two pictures with the " GUIDE COAT " primer applied! The third picture shows the nose assembled with the headlight doors adjusted. The last picture shows the nose taken apart, sanded and hung for paint!
MJ

Mopar John

SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED!
In this segment you will see how it all starts to come together! The first picture shows the glue applied for the cowl under shoddy. The cowl under shoddy has a story to go with it. The original was junk and the original from my 1970 GTX racecar was missing a piece. So I posted a want ad in the Moparts parts restoration forum asking who made the best under shoddy? Jim Filmore from Detroit Muscle Technologies responded that he was a little over a week away to having a new shoddy that he had been working on for a couple of years! He said if we could wait we would get the first one he would make! WOW! He was true to his word and made the cutter and got the first one to us in the promised time frame! The second picture shows the under shoddy installed. The third and fourth pictures show the restored wiper motor and restored linkage installed. The parts pile is starting to get smaller!
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mytur Binsdirti

hemi68charger

John,
Did 6bbl engines come with the steel shield that attached to the front intake manifold valley pan retaining bar and as well the insulation pad that was positioned under the intake runners and valley pan gaskets like the 4bbls?

Troy

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 18, 2014, 10:16:09 PM
John,
Did 6bbl engines come with the steel shield that attached to the front intake manifold valley pan retaining bar and as well the insulation pad that was positioned under the intake runners and valley pan gaskets like the 4bbls?

Troy,
Not that I have seen. We have the engine painted and those parts you speak of are not included.
On another note I'm glad you got the reinforcement plate for the HEMI transplant!
MJ

Mopar John

DOOR GLASS!
In this segment I will share pictures of the door glass assembly. The first step in this process was about a year ago I hand carried the original glass to be polished. This process removed all the window felt scratches, ice scraper scratches and anything else that was there. The second step was for Troy and the guys to disassemble the parts and get the chrome parts redone. Here we join the action with parts going back together! The first picture shows the new NOS door glass forward edge weatherstrip being installed. The second picture shows the door glass tracks before restoration. The third picture shows the same parts after. The last picture shows the drivers vent window being reassembled. This looks complicated and it is! There is some voo doo about those vent window frames. I have made junk trying to work on the frames myself!
MJ

Mopar John

DOOR GLASS PART 2!
Here we continue with pictures of the door glass! The first picture shows the vent frames all restored and reassembled! The second and third pictures show all the glass related parts laid out and ready to install in the doors!
The last picture is of some of the related hardware that has been cleaned up and ready! Enjoy!
MJ

maxwellwedge

John,

Hey AB - Never seen a 440 HP (other than a TNT C-Body motor) with that insulation pad.

John - Do yourself a big favor and cut that flapper down in your exhaust manifold. I had one stick closed once (on a fresh resto!) and it burned up a few valves. It will still look stock on the outside.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on May 20, 2014, 08:58:48 AM
John,

Hey AB - Never seen a 440 HP (other than a TNT C-Body motor) with that insulation pad.

John - Do yourself a big favor and cut that flapper down in your exhaust manifold. I had one stick closed once (on a fresh resto!) and it burned up a few valves. It will still look stock on the outside.
Hey Jim!
So what your telling me is that I could have bought the 1970 small block heat riser kit with the smaller flapper for 1/5th of what I paid for the big block kit!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

THROTTLE CABLE BRACKET & REAR WINDOW REGULATORS!
We'll folks this is the last batch of pictures from the March invoice! The first picture shows the throttle cable bracket before restoration. The second picture shows it restored and mounted to the firewall. The last two pictures show the rear window regulators installed!
  In my next segment I will post pictures of our late March visit! STAY TUNED!
MJ

Mopar John

MARCH 26TH VISIT PART 2!
Here are the rest of the pictures from the March 26th visit that I promised earlier. I just wanted to post about all the work that was done to get to this point before sharing these pictures. The first picture is an overall view of the underside of the cowl area. You can see the shoddy and wiper components all in place. The second picture is of the passengers door and quarter window area from the inside. Now all the glass and linkage is in place. The third picture is of the drivers side form the outside. Again all the glass and linkage is in along with the door handle, door lock and outside mirror. The last picture is of the wing center section and valance corners just painted orange!
MJ

Mopar John

MARCH 25TH VISIT PART 3!
Here are the last of the pictures I took on the March 26th visit! The first picture is of the nose cone now orange! This is one of my favorites! The second picture is of the wing uprights now freshly painted also! The third picture is of the taillight housings, quarter extensions and side scoops just painted orange! The last picture is a front view of the engine. You can see the NOS water pump and NOS negative battery cable in place and ready for paint.
The Superbird is coming along great and I will be posting more pictures soon! 426 Linda and I are planning a visit soon to take all the NOS decals down and see the Superbird! I can't wait! ENJOY!
I would like to thank all the guys responding to my parts wanted ads to help make this thing move along!
MJ

FJ5WING

that's good stuff John!

Could you tell me what finish is on the engine oil dip stick since it was mentioned in an earlier post that it wasn't painted engine color?

wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 22, 2014, 11:32:16 AM
that's good stuff John!

Could you tell me what finish is on the engine oil dip stick since it was mentioned in an earlier post that it wasn't painted engine color?

THANKS!
I was able to buy an NOS oil dip stick tube from a closed dealership inventory!
I have attached a picture for you to look at. All we are going to do is clean it up
and install it now that the engine assembly is painted!
I hope this helps.
MJ

Mytur Binsdirti

Mopar John

JUST AN UPDATE FOR EVERYONE FOLLOWING THIS RESTORATION
I did not receive a picture disc with the April invoice because it was mainly for parts and restoration services. I did get a picture disc with the May invoice and it has all the pictures up till a week ago. The problem is my old computer has problems and quit working! I am borrowing Lindas lap top to keep up with things!
I will not be able to post pictures until I figure something out. The guys who I have spoken to have told me to keep buying NOS and original parts for the Superbird and get a new computer and share the story later! I want to thank everyone that has answered my parts want ads and questions. It has helped a lot!
If you have time scan my remaining want ads and see if you can help?
I am going to have a big announcement on the Superbird soon!
MJ

maxwellwedge

Hi John - On the questions you had. I snapped a few pics of my Bird... of the areas in question.
The rockers/pinch welds were not blacked out....but interestingly, when they shot the sound deadener in the rear wheel wells they got some of it on the rockers. Both sides showed this.
As far as the vertical brace behind the nose.....not exactly sure what you meant....and the only way to take a pic of that area is through the grill....so I did the best I could. Hope the pics help!  :cheers:

Mopar John

Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply and pictures of your awesome original Superbird!
MJ

Mopar John

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
For those of you who have been wondering what my big announcement is here we go!
The Superbird is a complete car again and will be displayed at "CHRYSLERS AT CARLISLE" next week!
The Superbird will be the center piece of the Troy Angelly Restorations display!
The location of Troy's display is spaces L 116-122 and M 118-119.
Stop by and see the Superbird you've been reading about!
It is not quite finished as we have just a few more parts to find and restore.
There will be a want list posted near the car. I will also move up my wanted ads on this site.
Thanks! MJ